• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Angel Cop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Let's simmer down please. This discussion is going down a rabbit whole that we don't need to go down.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Swissman wrote:

Maybe you don't "get it" because you are not a jew nor have you a jewish family whose oldest members still recall the horror of the Third Reich?

Just food for thought....

Possible, but I think there's more to it than that.
One of my best friends I've known for more than 30 years (and who has been my business partner for half that long) is Jewish. His parents fled persecution in Russia. He thinks Angel Cop is hilarious ever since we both saw it back in the fansub days when we were in college. When I told him that it was getting a new BD release he was excited about it, and suggested we have a viewing party. Again, I mean no offense to anyone, and I apologize wholeheartedly if my comments came across as disrespectful, but my observations tell me there must be more to it than one's heritage, and that different people react to things in different ways.

He almost certainly sees the vileness as part of the film's buffoonery, finding it innocuous not because the message and content is harmless but because it's attached to something so obviously inept and thus without power.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:

He almost certainly sees the vileness as part of the film's buffoonery, finding it innocuous not because the message and content is harmless but because it's attached to something so obviously inept and thus without power.

Yes, that was my point exactly. You put it far more eloquently than I did.
Boomer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
Angel Cop is a very underrated show in my opinion. It is no worse or more trashy than Psycho Pass for example and has a more engaging plot.
kappa_krey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
Angel Cop is a very underrated show in my opinion. It is no worse or more trashy than Psycho Pass for example and has a more engaging plot.

Agreed; though I didn't finish Psycho Pass (probably should). TBH when I first watched Angel Cop the scene of that one terrorist getting headshotted sort of nudged me away for a moment, but that was way back before getting around to it recently. Probably helped I was in the mood for some old-school goodness.

It's actually a quite fun OVA...but I'd definitely say watch the sub. The dub is....it's kinda bad xD
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
kappa_krey wrote:
Boomer wrote:

Agreed; though I didn't finish Psycho Pass (probably should). TBH when I first watched Angel Cop the scene of that one terrorist getting headshotted sort of nudged me away for a moment, but that was way back before getting around to it recently. Probably helped I was in the mood for some old-school goodness.

It's actually a quite fun OVA...but I'd definitely say watch the sub. The dub is....it's kinda bad xD

Psycho-Pass is well worth your time.
Also, if you like old-school OVAs like this then AD Police Files is a must-watch (The original, not the reboot).
kappa_krey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

Psycho-Pass is well worth your time.
Also, if you like old-school OVAs like this then AD Police Files is a must-watch (The original, not the reboot).

Already seen OG AD Police Files, great little series there. I'm guessing the reboot you're referring to is something other than Parasite Dolls?

But yeah I'm definitely intrigued to watch Psycho-Pass, only real problem's there's so many series I'm already in the middle of xD
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
kappa_krey wrote:

Already seen OG AD Police Files, great little series there. I'm guessing the reboot you're referring to is something other than Parasite Dolls?

No, I wasn't referring to parasite dolls, but since you mentioned it: I think it's pretty good but it's not at the level of AD Police IMHO. The orginal AD police was a 3-episode OVA. It was rebooted as a TV series in the early 2000's. I think the reboot was called "AD Police Protect and Serve" or something like that? It bears no resemblence to the original in any way. Different characters, plot, etc. That one is not worth anyone's time IMHO, while the orginal is excellent.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
@kappa_krey

The two series are easy to tell apart. The OVA shows the title as AD Police files 1 -3 and is from AnimEigo (it is still available) . The TV series shows the title as AD Police protect and serve and was from ADV.
Boomer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
kappa_krey wrote:

No, I wasn't referring to parasite dolls, but since you mentioned it: I think it's pretty good but it's not at the level of AD Police IMHO. The orginal AD police was a 3-episode OVA. It was rebooted as a TV series in the early 2000's. I think the reboot was called "AD Police Protect and Serve" or something like that? It bears no resemblence to the original in any way. Different characters, plot, etc. That one is not worth anyone's time IMHO, while the orginal is excellent.

Yeah, the AD Police TV series is very mediocre. It is worth checking out if you want another glimpse of the Bubblegum Crisis universe from a different perspective, but it's definitely not essential. The 3-episode AD Police OVA, on the other hand, is fantastic. Parasite Dolls is also great BTW.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3