Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fairy Tail: Final Season


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zfunk



Joined: 05 Nov 2016
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
One little pet peeve in this episode, I felt the same way when the chapter came out. When Angel said her real name to our heroes, I wanted Lucy to remember hearing the name before. I am not asking her to figure out where she heard that name, but a simple "Sorano that name sounds familiar." One sentence, is that too much to ask Hiro? What was the point in Yukino telling Lucy her sister's name in the first place?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
immblueversion



Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 289
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
You say Brandish has zero regard for others' lives, yet you neglect to mention the fishing boats that just so happened to be nearby. There's no way she didn't already know that. spoiler[And no, that subordinate of hers she took out isn't dead.]

zfunk wrote:
What was the point in Yukino telling Lucy her sister's name in the first place?


Solely for the benefit of the reader/viewer, so we'd know Yukino was sisters with a wanted criminal and murderer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1781
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:40 am Reply with quote
^This is true - although given that it's an island, it's a reasonable assumption that there are always fishing boats in the general vicinity. (Which still makes your point, really.) And as for the other, there's a fine balance reviewing a show when you already know details from the source material as to what to say and what not to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackPoint.



Joined: 23 Oct 2015
Posts: 649
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
No its not the first kiss was with Levy and Gajeel they kissed at tartaros arc although ye it depends on each one how they take that scene since she "kissed" him because he didn't have any air...
Other then that ye you can consider zeref and mavis kiss as the first genuie one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Catsplay



Joined: 24 Sep 2015
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Probably one of my favorite episodes of the entire series (just like they were some of my favorite chapters in the manga). The backstory for both Mavis and Zeref are just so tragic that it adds so much weight to their conflict in the present day. And yes while Gajeel and Levy shared a "kiss" for air this is the first romantic kiss in the entire series. The OST that played throughout the episode was so well done as well and really enhanced several scenes and made them more powerful then they were in the manga. Also I'm SO GLAD they didn't do a black silhouette for the kiss scene like Hiro did in the manga so there is no ambiguity over what happened. Mavis and Zeref OTP even if they are enemies Anime cry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aura Ichadora



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 1922
Location: In front of my computer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
spoiler[No its not the first kiss was with Levy and Gajeel they kissed at tartaros arc although ye it depends on each one how they take that scene since she "kissed" him because he didn't have any air...
Other then that ye you can consider zeref and mavis kiss as the first genuie one.]
Hmm... depending on interpretation, the first kiss in FT may have been spoiler[the one between Erza and Jellal. However, how it was drawn and shadowed obscured how it could've been seen, as well as the reaction afterward could've also been seen as the two of them either stopping before they could've kissed or they kissed then Jellal reacted by pushing them apart. Like I said, it'll depend on how you want to interpret the scene.

And before the above mention of the Gajevy scene, there was also the kiss in 413 Days, but to be fair, that was in Juvia's imagination, so it probably wouldn't count.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
immblueversion



Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 289
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
spoiler[No its not the first kiss was with Levy and Gajeel they kissed at tartaros arc although ye it depends on each one how they take that scene since she "kissed" him because he didn't have any air...
Other then that ye you can consider zeref and mavis kiss as the first genuie one.]
Hmm... depending on interpretation, the first kiss in FT may have been spoiler[the one between Erza and Jellal. However, how it was drawn and shadowed obscured how it could've been seen, as well as the reaction afterward could've also been seen as the two of them either stopping before they could've kissed or they kissed then Jellal reacted by pushing them apart. Like I said, it'll depend on how you want to interpret the scene.

And before the above mention of the Gajevy scene, there was also the kiss in 413 Days, but to be fair, that was in Juvia's imagination, so it probably wouldn't count.]


Sadly, the ambiguity of Erza and Jellal's kiss only applies to the manga. For whatever reason, the anime changed it to clearly show Jellal shoving Erza away the very moment before their lips touched, making this the only dramatic kiss in the anime that can't be interpreted as anything else besides a kiss, not counting Hibiki and Jenny visibly smooching in the background during Ichiya and Rabbit's fight, thus making the omission of Erza and Jellal's ambiguous kiss even more ridiculous.

There was also Natsu unintentionally touching lips with Happy when Asca wanted to see him and Lucy kiss, but I don't know if that counts, either.

Also, as a manga reader, I believe it was said by Mashima somewhere around the time he first drew this scene that spoiler[there was more to it than "Mavis kissed Zeref and just dropped dead". Those who continue on will know what I mean.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Punch Drunk Marc



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 1214
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. Zervis. Easily one of the worst things about the entire series. Definitely was not looking forward to this episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 3698
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
1. Right out of the gate, they brought the original main theme back. That automatically makes it better than the manga.

Super late, but was sooooo good having this back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zfunk



Joined: 05 Nov 2016
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
What is up with the animation this week. They didn't animate the background characters of the Fairy Tail guild. I mean there are so many background Fairy Tail members you could use. I hope this is corrected on the Blu Ray.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
immblueversion



Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 289
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say Acnologia hates Natsu personally, because he doesn't even know who Natsu is. It's not like Natsu was the one who ripped his arm off. To him, Natsu is just a boy who needs to die because he has the powers of a dragon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
immblueversion



Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 289
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
You raise a good point about the "countdown" in the ED, because it reminds me of a certain aspect of the manga that will most likely be lost in the anime. Namely, spoiler[the titles for Chapters 483 through 490 all contain a number that counts down from "seven" to "zero". Going by what the OP and ED cover, this string of episodes will most likely end at the "zero" mark, and at the rate this part of the anime has been going, it should be twelve more episodes before that happens. But with each episode covering two to three chapters now, several of the titles will be skipped over unless the studio decides to get a little more creative.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Catsplay



Joined: 24 Sep 2015
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Honestly wondering how the series is going to last 50 episodes with its current pacing of 3 chapters per episode, I mean the opening shows we're going much further then I originally thought we would in the second cour! Anyway I loved this new episode and while the new opening has a lackluster song it's visuals are pretty hype (Also I'm one of those Wendy fans that loved her bit in the opening theme too! Very Happy).

One thing I really appreciate about the ending themes is that they went back to the style of the first Fairy Tail ending themes (Probably due to nostalgia) where most of it is presented with chibi versions of the characters (The 2014 anime series started to do more traditional ending themes).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
immblueversion



Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 289
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Honestly wondering how the series is going to last 50 episodes with its current pacing of 3 chapters per episode, I mean the opening shows we're going much further then I originally thought we would in the second cour! Anyway I loved this new episode and while the new opening has a lackluster song it's visuals are pretty hype (Also I'm one of those Wendy fans that loved her bit in the opening theme too! Very Happy).

One thing I really appreciate about the ending themes is that they went back to the style of the first Fairy Tail ending themes (Probably due to nostalgia) where most of it is presented with chibi versions of the characters (The 2014 anime series started to do more traditional ending themes).


At this rate, they'll simply go back down to 2 chapters per episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Catsplay



Joined: 24 Sep 2015
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Favorite episode to date honestly, they animated Natsu's new power reveal in such a cool way and I wasn't disappointed to see him smack Zeref's face in! This has actually been far more exciting watching in anime form compared to back when I read in the manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group