• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fairy Tail: Final Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Word has it that Episode 320 has a reference to the second movie. Everyone who knows this seems to agree that it's the sixth light you can see following the five Dragon Slayers, and that it's actually spoiler[Sonya, the little girl Acnologia thought he failed to save from dragons back when he was still a human with some semblance of compassion, keeping him dead set on the "kill all dragons" mindset.]

Seeing how it's a character who played a small part in spoiler[Acnologia's past], which the manga seriously glossed over--and which Mashima has outwardly regretted not exploring--I'm really hoping that this is a sign the anime will give at least a slightly more fleshed out version of it. If not in the show itself (there is not a whole lot of space left in the story to ideally dedicate a whole episode's worth), then maybe an OVA helmed by Mashima himself.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Before the likely "Good riddance" posters say their piece (some may be unaware of the manga's sequel and its good likelihood of an anime), at least if they bother to post here after the past month-and-a-half of no activity, I wanted to say, thank you for covering the series to the end. It's clear that for all the issues with the manga and its adaptation, you did this because you are a genuine fan who found elements that make the series ultimately worthwhile for you, rather than just lump it all in one category of bad and rant about how you'd see it as a monumental failure. Your insight ended up shedding new light on parts of the story I never really considered before, and while I'm still not blind to its fair share of problems (with the added disappointment in production limitations and choices), I'm able to appreciate it more myself.

I'm also glad to say that rewatching the final battle in anime form has been more enjoyable. Tetsuya Kakihara's performance gave an extra dimension to Natsu's scenes I haven't really experienced before, and the decision to finally add new material again helped add just that bit of substance the fight was lacking in the manga.

The final chapter helped warm my heart a bit when the manga ended, but the final episode of the anime lit a fire in my soul, reminding me about everything I loved about these characters. That's ultimately the one thing that won me over in the first place, and what made the series so worth it for me to the bitter end: I adore these characters with all my heart. And with the sequel already running strong, I'm hoping more than ever to see them in the anime once again in the future.

Again, thank you so, so much for covering the series and giving us your own thoughts against what everyone else says. Looking forward to seeing how Mashima will improve in the future, because as far as his manga career is concerned since the FT manga ended, he's already leagues above where he left off.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the saga of Lucy, Natsu, Happy, and the rest of the Fairy Tail guild comes to an end here, and as a happy ending connoisseur, I am pleased to say that it does a very good job of gathering up all the threads and bringing things to a satisfactorily happy ending.

The ending to Fairy Tail was a lot of things, but I can in no way agree that "satisfactory" was one of them.

I'll start off by saying that if you liked this ending (which the reviewer clearly) did, thats fine. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and their own feelings. Not saying that's right or wrong, but as for me this ending punctuates more than anything else Fairy Tail's failing as a series narratively and emotionally.

A happy ending is nice, but this series did nothing to earn it. A lot of the supposed key moments in this arc ending up being meaningless by the end (and in some cases before that): Juvia sacrificed her life to save Gray? Turns out it was a fake out and Wendy saved her life. Gajeel sacrificed himself to to defeat Bloodman? Nope. Zera just showed up out of nowhere and saved him for no real reason. Fairy Law's drawback is that it shortens the users life based on the number of targets? Not only does this new rule make Laxus retroactively stupid for trying it in the Nirvana arc, Makarov admittedly wasted the technique during the war on an entire battalion and all he got was put in a wheelchair for a year. Chelia sacrificed her magic in order to defeat Dimaria? Nope, she just gets it back later because "uwu happy ending". Gray and Natsu's fight had no weight, Irene's entire existence is a writing nightmare, Mashimas penchant for ill timed fanservice ruined what should have been tense moments Nothing meant anything, and if everything was neatly "gathered up" there wouldn't have been a sequel in the first place dealing with half of this crap.

Fairy Tail was never a GREAT series and it didn't have to be, but until Tenrou it was at least enjoyable. You could tell Mashima was putting some bit of care into what he was writing and doing with these characters. From GMG on it feels like he's just been writing on autopilot pulling contrivance after contrivance out of his butt to move the story along. Plot points were dropped at random with no rhyme or reason, certain characters far outstayed their welcome, and others shouldn't have expected in the first place. It became a parody of itself as early as the Grand Magic Games.

To me FT will forever be a wasteland of wasted potential, horrible characters (minus Wendy, Lucy, and Gray), and an all around example of what happens when a story has such a fierce unwillingness to grow or change as it moves along.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved the final arc and the conclusion to many of the character arcs Hiro had been building over the course of the whole series. Granted the anime adaptation was a huge improvement over the manga with extended battles (Definitely enjoyed the last Dragon Slayer battle far more), additional scenes that fleshed out backstories, and more of a connection to the sequel series (based off some of the cryptic stuff that happened in Acnologia's backstory). I also loved Mavis and Zeref so much and everything dealing with their lives was so well done and emotional. Honestly I don't think those two at the end were reincarnations but maybe alternate world versions like from Edolas. Totally started freaking out when I heard them play Snow Fairy again during the last episode, that's one of the things I wanted to happen all season haha. Even some of my small gripes get solved by the sheer existence of the 100 Year Quest sequel series and I'm glad the story at least continues so that my journey with the franchise won't end yet (I've been loving the sequel manga).
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I have never been able to see Natsu and Lucy as a couple and I legit can't understand people who do.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I have never been able to see Natsu and Lucy as a couple and I legit can't understand people who do.

They're not in love with each other in the cliche sense, but they care enough about each other that they could get married and make it work. It's a good friendship that could develop into something more later.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I expect any follow-up anime would take another ten years before showing up. Considering so many shows have been re-done, I don't think they would pass over doing a story for the 100 Year arc, but they would be best to wait until it's nearly wrapped up first. Based on the typical 2:1 ratio of manga chapters to anime episodes that seems to hold for many anime adapted from manga, they would need about 50 chapters just to do a 26 episode anime. And considering this is suppose to be the "final" season, I can't see them revisiting the show any time soon. They would likely wait until the manga is finished so they can do a real final season.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I kind've enjoyed the finale. Not phenomenally executed by any means, but at least a fair cut better than the way they've handled the rest of the past few arcs in anime, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I got a bit wistful watching characters I've spent so much time with finally put an end to their big convoluted weirdly written bad guy pal.

Long-running shouen'll drag some emotion out of ya by dint of the sheer amount of time you've spent with the characters if nothin' else, heh. Shame it didn't turn out as well as, say the Naruto Pain arc (now there's a long-running shounen that really turned on the masterpiece execution when it counted... well, sometimes, anyway).

EDIT: I also really liked the "twist" required to defeat Zeref. That was downright beautiful; I wish it had been executed a bit more effectively, but nevertheless. He was always a much more interesting character than Acnologia.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

They're not in love with each other in the cliche sense, but they care enough about each other that they could get married and make it work. It's a good friendship that could develop into something more later.

The "Problem" it's that the same can be said about literally every 2 characters on this history, hell, Laxus and Mira had like only 2 scenes and they showed more chemistry than Natsu and Lucy in the whole series and that's why the ending trolled people into thinking for a second that they ended up together.

Oh well, it is not like it's the end, they can still show some progress on the continuation.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Quote:
the saga of Lucy, Natsu, Happy, and the rest of the Fairy Tail guild comes to an end here, and as a happy ending connoisseur, I am pleased to say that it does a very good job of gathering up all the threads and bringing things to a satisfactorily happy ending.

The ending to Fairy Tail was a lot of things, but I can in no way agree that "satisfactory" was one of them.

I'll start off by saying that if you liked this ending (which the reviewer clearly) did, thats fine. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and their own feelings. Not saying that's right or wrong, but as for me this ending punctuates more than anything else Fairy Tail's failing as a series narratively and emotionally.

A happy ending is nice, but this series did nothing to earn it. A lot of the supposed key moments in this arc ending up being meaningless by the end (and in some cases before that): Juvia sacrificed her life to save Gray? Turns out it was a fake out and Wendy saved her life. Gajeel sacrificed himself to to defeat Bloodman? Nope. Zera just showed up out of nowhere and saved him for no real reason. Fairy Law's drawback is that it shortens the users life based on the number of targets? Not only does this new rule make Laxus retroactively stupid for trying it in the Nirvana arc, Makarov admittedly wasted the technique during the war on an entire battalion and all he got was put in a wheelchair for a year. Chelia sacrificed her magic in order to defeat Dimaria? Nope, she just gets it back later because "uwu happy ending". Gray and Natsu's fight had no weight, Irene's entire existence is a writing nightmare, Mashimas penchant for ill timed fanservice ruined what should have been tense moments Nothing meant anything, and if everything was neatly "gathered up" there wouldn't have been a sequel in the first place dealing with half of this crap.

Fairy Tail was never a GREAT series and it didn't have to be, but until Tenrou it was at least enjoyable. You could tell Mashima was putting some bit of care into what he was writing and doing with these characters. From GMG on it feels like he's just been writing on autopilot pulling contrivance after contrivance out of his butt to move the story along. Plot points were dropped at random with no rhyme or reason, certain characters far outstayed their welcome, and others shouldn't have expected in the first place. It became a parody of itself as early as the Grand Magic Games.

To me FT will forever be a wasteland of wasted potential, horrible characters (minus Wendy, Lucy, and Gray), and an all around example of what happens when a story has such a fierce unwillingness to grow or change as it moves along.

Well when the author decides which characters get the spotlight regardless of how the plot is going by the character pools votes, shit tends to happen.
Add to that, bad writing, bad fanservice and bad censoring(in the anime) past the arc you mentioned and you get this joke... Bad endings exist in a lot of Shounen but FT was crippled way earlier, no Naaruto, Bleach, etc... pulled this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6