• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:

the main intention of this anticlimax is to show the overwhelming strength of Milim compared to others, also that of, once again destroy the expectations of the audience that continues to ask for serious conflict since this show has never raised tension as its main engine
That actually is pretty fair. At this point it's pretty clear that I want this show to be something it isn't interested in being, which doesn't mean that either are wrong, just that we're not a very good fit. But for those who still really like the show that's great, it's by no means a dumpster fire so I can see why people like it, I'm just not one of those people.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:10 am Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
This was, unfortunately, my least favorite episode of the show so far. Tortured pacing leading up to anticlimax is not the best way to run an arc. If it weren't for the fact that it's almost over I'd drop a show after a run like that, but I'll see if it gets better for the last few eps....
...the main intention of this anticlimax is to show the overwhelming strength of Milim compared to others, also that of, once again destroy the expectations of the audience that continues to ask for serious conflict since this show has never raised tension as its main engine
I beg to differ, the buildup for the Orc Army was fairly careful to build tension in the background from Ep8-14 and the army fueled events from Ep10 at least. Now it seems every other episode introduces a new potential antagonist (Milim/Beastguys/Charybdis/Clowns) so it seems they are trying to use tension still, but now failing because in alternating episodes the antagonists are cowed to the point that one can anticipate it happening by the next episode after they appear. Confused
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
As much as I am enjoying this series I have felt like its been a little too easy the whole time. So much just falls into place for the hero of the story, its been pulling me out of the series. Of all the conflicts only 2 have felt like they had the impact of a struggle with the life of this world.

The Dwarven kings struggle with his underlings belied a real understanding of over ambition combining with greed to lead to bad circumstances (the layering of character was superb for both the king and vesta).

The orc invasion not only had stakes for both rimuru's underlings but introduced us to greater threats of macinations going on in the world but saw Rimuru finally fighting like a slime. The fight felt like it really mattered and that even the underlings where required to protect other people from the hoard.

But time and time again Rimuru is solving deep and complex problems with "Hey do you want to be friends instead of enemies!". Now Im not above him allying with the monsterous races but it would be nice to pretend that there would be some difficulties. I just want something more then giving them a name turns them into Slime worshiping perfect citizens. The orcs in particular I would of at least liked to see how a band of a few hundred/thousand goblins plus lizard folk would supply and feed 100,000 giant orcs before farming could be brought online without ravaging the countryside.

Goblins not withstanding Rimuru has solved the following problems by saying lets be friends and the person going "Oh your nice, okay!":
- Dire wolves
- Ogres
- Lizard folk (kinda, they did give up their authority to join the tempest league)
- Orcs
- Miliam
- 2 or 3 separate bands of humans if you count both the mercenaries and leaders of factions as separate. This one in particular was a weird. How would human kind take to a monstrous kingdom in one of the most strategic passes in their region? Well as long as we claim the humans are heroes and the monsters are nice its okay.
- In the aftermath of Charybdis let down as supposed equal to Miliam or even greater. The beast king and his subordinates are all hunky dory with things because Rimuru is nice.

I am willing to forgive alot but time and time again things are being resolved by ignoring all the implications because Rimiru is nice. This is making it hard to keep being emotionally into the storyline. Just how many bad things will Rimuru solve with a smile by the end? Its quite staggering.

Whoops this is a lot longer then I intended. I had just ment to express a little exasperation. But I kept on writing.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Norm the genius wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
This was, unfortunately, my least favorite episode of the show so far. Tortured pacing leading up to anticlimax is not the best way to run an arc. If it weren't for the fact that it's almost over I'd drop a show after a run like that, but I'll see if it gets better for the last few eps....
...the main intention of this anticlimax is to show the overwhelming strength of Milim compared to others, also that of, once again destroy the expectations of the audience that continues to ask for serious conflict since this show has never raised tension as its main engine
I beg to differ, the buildup for the Orc Army was fairly careful to build tension in the background from Ep8-14 and the army fueled events from Ep10 at least. Now it seems every other episode introduces a new potential antagonist (Milim/Beastguys/Charybdis/Clowns) so it seems they are trying to use tension still, but now failing because in alternating episodes the antagonists are cowed to the point that one can anticipate it happening by the next episode after they appear. Confused

We knew since last episode that Rimuru wasn't even the target of Charybdis and we got the battle because Rimuru was evaluating his own nation as too high and making too speculative inferences about Charybdis' motives for moving towards Tempest.
Heck the reason why Clayman and the clowns even got involved with Charybdis in the first place was due to Frey and Charybdis itself. From the result it's obvious that they couldn't tame Charybdis and Clayman mentioned that he doesn't really care much about Tempest one way or another aside from Laplace's irky feeling, so Clayman's and the clowns motives about throwing out Charybdis are clearly part of the Demon Lord politics.
Forbio also did what he did due to Milim. He himself didn't seem to have any grudge against Rimuru or Tempest at any point.
In other words, NO ONE involved with Charybdis targeted Tempest or Rimuru and he was essentially just a random bystander in Demon Lord politics and Forbio's grudge against Milim. This time is different from the Orc Disaster because unlike then where he was simply not known by anyone, this time he got ignored deliberately. It shows how no one even really views him as a "player" in the Demon Lord politics at this point. He is still considered "small fry" that can be ignored.
So yes, this arc certainly did have a purpose, which is showing that not only Rimuru has troubles finding out how others view him, but also that Rimuru and Tempest aren't really on the Demon Lord's radar, aside from Carrion (only after the ordeal was over) and Milim who had directly interacted with Rimuru.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well I knew it had to be done in order to finish one more arc but man was this ep rushed. FF 19 and that salt bae reference LOL. And they actually showed the manga version of Slime there.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:41 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how I feel about what the anime skipped of Rimuru's traveling to Ingrassia this week. I was looking forward to seeing that. I definitely know where the season is ending now, though.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
The kids were inevitable since Shizu mentioned them, but the one thing I really don't think this series needed was a school setting.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
So did he gain anything from consuming the Charybdis?
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
The kids were inevitable since Shizu mentioned them, but the one thing I really don't think this series needed was a school setting.

Maybe not but this little piece of My Slime Academia should be a quite a bit of fun before the poop hits the fan.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Goblins not withstanding Rimuru has solved the following problems by saying lets be friends and the person going "Oh your nice, okay!"

There was a bit more than just agreeing to be friends because he was nice. Smile

- Dire wolves - he killed their leader, and made it clear he could've kept going if they didn't surrender to him.
- Ogres - a temporary alliance that they made permanent after he impressed them...and what else did they have to do? More interesting to hang around with him.
- Lizard folk - he saved all their asses after they were taken prisoner and/or being slaughtered.
- Orcs - he killed their leader and set him free.
- Miliam - outwitted her.

The orcs and lizards really owed him a favor, but joining up offered more benefits than just going off on their own. And if he wasn't nice, he could've forced their allegiance instead, and not given anybody names, to keep them weak.

Does he have a photographic memory or something? If I had to reproduce anything I've read, there'd be a lot of pages missing...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, I assume that Great Sage can access his memories perfectly. If so, then that would be Eidetic memory.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but the memories have to be there to access. Could you accurately remember a page of manga or even just the dialog from a given page? I couldn't exactly reproduce this post tomorrow, and I wrote it! Smile
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
^ Well, I assume that Great Sage can access his memories perfectly. If so, then that would be Eidetic memory.

It can. Hell the novel version of this very arc should have shown spoiler[Rimuru in a library skimming through countless magic books and Great Sage just memorizes it for him and he can access what it learned at any time]. Unfortunately the anime skipped that.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20 Comments/Feedback

Wow what a victory feast that is, I really want to be there right now, perfectly filleted by out master craftsman with the sword.

Ah the kids from the ending movie, now we get to learn about them.

That was quite the introduction, they only destroyed everything lol, either way it's nice to be able to talk to someone who like the same things as you do.

Final Fantasy 19 or XIX, we probably will see that game eventually.

Being able to make all those light novels/manga's is amazing, I'm glad he likes Houseki no Kuni, I gave it a 9/10, really enjoyed it.

I also hope that Rimuru can fulfill Shizu's wishes and save those children.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, but the memories have to be there to access. Could you accurately remember a page of manga or even just the dialog from a given page? I couldn't exactly reproduce this post tomorrow, and I wrote it! :)

Per the current standard model in neuroscience as we understand it, unless they have brain damage, the human brain never forgets anything. The issue with not remembering things isn't retention, it's recall.

Paul Jensen wrote:
Rimuru typically has good diplomatic instincts, and considering that he had the whole trip to think about this introduction, you'd think it would've occurred to him that wearing Shizu's mask might cause some misunderstandings with her old student.

Rimuru also has Shizu's face. Frankly, jumping straight to the face without the mask in between may have been worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 22