• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
doomrider7 wrote:

Most people think it's supposed to be Lafiel from Crest of the Stars and the previous blond and red haired one from his image in the campfire are Zelda and Malon. All would fit perfectly with the whole 90's elves thing. And yeah, EVERYONE recognized Deedlit and Pirotess. They're THE 90's fantasy elves.

https://www.jpselection.com/data/jpselection/product/poster/P1450395.JPG

I mean DAYUM. Parn and Ashram have it GOOD.

If you look at the credits for the episode, they thank Mizuno Ryo and Group SNE, creators of Record on Lodoss Wars, Izubuchi Yutaka, who was the illustrator for the Lodoss novels, original character designer, and character designer for the Lodoss OVAs, and Kadokawa, publishers of Lodoss, for their cooperation. Smile
doomrider7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

If you look at the credits for the episode, they thank Mizuno Ryo and Group SNE, creators of Record on Lodoss Wars, Izubuchi Yutaka, who was the illustrator for the Lodoss novels, original character designer, and character designer for the Lodoss OVAs, and Kadokawa, publishers of Lodoss, for their cooperation. Smile

That's so awesome. So all of those cameos WERE intentional. Very Happy
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
I didn't like this episode either. Kaijin just giving up on the King because of Rimuru felt like the good old "making the protagonist the center of everyone's lives as soon as they appear" thing that happens in many light novels. Even the King only really punishes Vesta because of Rimuru leaving.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I didn't like this episode either. Kaijin just giving up on the King because of Rimuru felt like the good old "making the protagonist the center of everyone's lives as soon as they appear" thing that happens in many light novels. Even the King only really punishes Vesta because of Rimuru leaving.

Isn't this kind of the point of the show? To be a quirky, polished power fantasy? While I'm not wild about it either, and think it smacks of lazy, artificial story-telling, I don't think it's going away anytime soon, so I'm just happy there's enough else about the show that's well done for me to enjoy it.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first three episodes because it had other stuff going on, but these last two episodes didn't, for me. That's why I'm complaining.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's fair. Now that I think about it, I enjoyed the first few episodes more as well, and that's probably a good part of why.

EDIT: I also thought the boob-focus was pointless and tedious. It's like certain genres of anime get together and decide they need an episode where the authors can substitute sex appeal for thinking or something...
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
And with Shizu's arrival the series will finally start to really get interesting. I just hope the anime really details her backstory the way the novels did. Really hammers the feels

Last edited by GhostD on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
doomrider7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
And with Shizu's arrival the series will finally start to really get interesting. I just hope the anime really details her backstory the way the LNs did. Really hammers the feels

Given how the episodes have done...More than likely yes.

spoiler[Really hoping they do her entire back-story. Ideally the next episode is the big fight and the episode after that one being her full backstory ending with Rimuru's inherited form.]
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I am a little confused. if shizu is from WWII era, how did she get whatever game reference rimur did? unless it was some kind of Japanese language pun. that been said, I don't think it is too crazy for her to look young. time doesn't have to flow at the same rate for both worlds, thus rimur's reincarnation doesn't necesarily had to occur 70 years after shizu was summon
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I am a little confused. if shizu is from WWII era, how did she get whatever game reference rimur did?

I was wondering this as well. Did she not say that someone else from Japan mentioned/explained it to her, though?
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I am a little confused. if shizu is from WWII era, how did she get whatever game reference rimur did?

I was wondering this as well. Did she not say that someone else from Japan mentioned/explained it to her, though?

Thats exactly what she said. Remember what Veldora said way back in ep 1. There are others who were summoned here like Shizu and Rimuru and one of Rimuru's early goals was to look for more people just like him.

As for her age itll naturally be explained as long as they animate her backstory properly.

As for the game reference its from Dragon Quest
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:

Thats exactly what she said. Remember what Veldora said way back in ep 1. There are others who were summoned here like Shizu and Rimuru and one of Rimuru's early goals was to look for more people just like him.

As for her age itll naturally be explained as long as they animate her backstory properly.

Yeah, i think i remember something similar from dragon quest iv, but what we think doesn't add up is the fact that she was able to understand a reference from a video game when she was born in a era before them. Or are you saying she met another summoned hero that is from modern day Japan and they just decided to randomly share with her a quotation from a videogame then proceed to explain to her why it is supposed to be funny, then when she met rimur she some how laughed at the reference as intended despite only having an intellectual understanding of it since she never played the game herself? Seems like too specific of a coincidence and that's living alone the fact that the other hero had coincidentally played dragon quest in their life and had a liking for the same reference rimur does
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
GhostD wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:

Yeah, i think i remember something similar from dragon quest iv, but what we think doesn't add up is the fact that she was able to understand a reference from a video game when she was born in a era before them. Or are you saying she met another summoned hero that is from modern day Japan and they just decided to randomly share with her a quotation from a videogame then proceed to explain to her why it is supposed to be funny, then when she met rimur she some how laughed at the reference as intended despite only having an intellectual understanding of it since she never played the game herself? Seems like too specific of a coincidence and that's living alone the fact that the other hero had coincidentally played dragon quest in their life and had a liking for the same reference rimur does

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

spoiler[One of the 5 kids she was with was another summoned kid from Japan but from a much more modern and recent time. he's the one she's referring to when she said someone from her country said it.]
Phantowhite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:
GhostD wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

spoiler[One of the 5 kids she was with was another summoned kid from Japan but from a much more modern and recent time. he's the one she's referring to when she said someone from her country said it.]

spoiler[that's not quite right. all of the 5 kids are summoned from another world, not just 1. and the one who ended up telling her about the game is none of them but in fact a different summoned japanese boy (yuuki) that she trained along with another summoned girl (hinata)]
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
Phantowhite wrote:

spoiler[that's not quite right. all of the 5 kids are summoned from another world, not just 1. and the one who ended up telling her about the game is none of them but in fact a different summoned japanese boy (yuuki) that she trained along with another summoned girl (hinata)]

I know it was spoiler[ Yuuki.] I read the web novels too but not the manga or light novels. I just didn't want to spoil more than I already have but it was my mistake to mention spoiler[the 5 kids] because its been 3 years since I read that portion of the story as that part was translated back in 2015 so I kinda forgot a lot of details. I do remember though that spoiler[those 5 were still in school and Rimuru became a teacher to help them out in Shizue's place. Chloe in particular. Also made me remember that Yuki and Hinata were Shizue's older students]. However my point about who mentioned it stands minus the name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22