• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
10/10 anime, enjoyed every aspect of it, it had everything.

Really looking forward to seeing what we get in 2020.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
I did think that the Shizu ep this week was a lot more satisfying than anything we've seen from Slime Time for a while. It started off quite strong, then got a little silly with all the talky bits and double crosses in the gathered adventurers scene. Maybe it was just me, but that whole scene was hard to follow and a bit flat. I never had a clear idea what was going on, where the heck they were, or what the adventurers were supposed to be doing, so the reversals and accusations fell completely flat.

I don't think you're alone in this at all. I thought it was clear that the gathering of adventurers was meant to cultivate a atmosphere of suspicion, conspiracy, and entrapment, but I don't think it did a good job evoking any of those emotions. I'm a little unsure, looking back, why that is, but part of it may have been that we were just suddenly dropped into the middle of this room of adventurers with no real context or background on the players -- even Shizu we only knew for the briefest flash of time -- and they didn't do an especially good job rapidly fleshing out the personalities in the room. I found myself mostly accepting the characters' narrative description of the situation they were in rather than more immersively feeling it, if that makes sense.

Quote:
And what was the deal with the crying woman summoning Kuro at the beginning of the episode? Was that explained somewhere and I just missed it, or is it a plot thread from the LN or something?

I had completely forgotten about this by the end of the episode, and I don't think it was ever clearly explained, but what Calsolum said seems like a really satisfying guess -- i.e., that the escaping but mortally wounded and now quite vengeful Silver Wings summoned Kuro. I actually rather wish I had realized that earlier, as it puts a much darker color on the announcement to the gathering of heroes that "sadly, the heroic Silver Wings have fallen", which may have helped that scene feel somewhat more like what it was aiming to be.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
For a recap episode it did have some moments though I had to concentrate on reading the subtitles. Well heres looking forward to season 2
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22