• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Did a scene get cut when Rimuru was naming the Ogres or did Rimuru just think up the names for the Ogres and then they had their names which caused him to fall asleep. That scene confused me with how it played out could someone please give me an explanation for what happened.

I think the idea is he lost so many naming thingers so fast, it was like he was blackout drunk during it and has memory loss.

Note (edit): If you consider some of the names, this makes a lot more sense. He named the one guy after the dude from King Of Fighters.

Last edited by Zof on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Am i'm the only one who liked the ogres' looks better before their upgrade?

I didn't mind the exposition too much but i'm also a bit worried about Gabiru, he could be interesting or incredibly annoying

Nope, I liked their original looks better too. Even though they've ostensibly gotten stronger from being named, they looked more badass before.

I think Gabiru (why do so many characters' names start with 'g' in this!? I can't keep them straight) is just going to be annoying, since his arrogance is obviously going to prematurely trigger the confrontation with the Orcs.

Does naming someone have other effects than just making the named one stronger? I.e., is Gelmud going around randomly naming people in various villages because this will make them unable to oppose him or force them to do his bidding or something? It seems like he's planting seeds...

And I also didn't get what happened with naming the Ogres. It seemed like he passed out just from thinking of what he was about to name one of them, which left me wondering how he named the others.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Note: It would not be safe giving me naming power in this world. I'd use those Ainu names for children.

Also, I mean you'd have to try for a buffer overflow. So you'd have to at least try naming something 30000 zeros.

"Your name is, zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero hey, computer brain thinger, can I do macros?"
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
To me Gabiru seems like a fun character. It sounded like he is voiced by the same VA who voiced Kazuma from Konosuba so all the potential for some really funny bits is there.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote

Benimaru Nikaido
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
To me Gabiru seems like a fun character. It sounded like he is voiced by the same VA who voiced Kazuma from Konosuba so all the potential for some really funny bits is there.

I agree. He comes across now based upon what we've seen as what we used to call a "pump up". Somebody that gets all full of themselves. He's probably well meaning. He doesn't seem stupid, just I dunno, easily prone to flights of grandeur. A pumpup. Basically he's the kind of character that would be perfect to say... teach a lesson in true power, then reform and make someone valuable. And that has been the theme kinda. Like, I'm not going to be surprised if he is suddenly living in the village with them. That's what I'm saying. He's the kind of character that drops the ball spectacularly. It's like his given purpose. All pumpups are like that. I'm expecting he'll have what amounts to a "come to jesus" moment, and since he's royalty it will get him in trouble.

Note, characters like this:
The Bill Paxton character from Aliens
Vezini in The Princess Bride
The Reporter in Ghostbusters
Shooter McGavin
The Principle from Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Love the pacing... definitely one of the better LN adaptations out there, which is especially nice as insofar as disposable Isekai stories go, this is definitely one of the better ones. It does make me curious where the end point of the series will be... it's 24 episodes, right? But at the current pacing, that'll equate to what, 3-5LNs?

I'm curious how much they'll tease up the big Shizu-related stuff spoiler[the other reincarnation who's set up as a big bad, that weird time travel stuff w/ one of the students.] ah, well, I just hope they cover enough to see spoiler[Veldora in the flesh again.] Rimuru's at its best the more friends are around, after all.

Also very psyched to see Millum ASAP. Her appearance in the ED promises some great animation.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:22 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Love the pacing... definitely one of the better LN adaptations out there, which is especially nice as insofar as disposable Isekai stories go, this is definitely one of the better ones. It does make me curious where the end point of the series will be... it's 24 episodes, right? But at the current pacing, that'll equate to what, 3-5LNs?

I'm curious how much they'll tease up the big Shizu-related stuff spoiler[the other reincarnation who's set up as a big bad, that weird time travel stuff w/ one of the students.] ah, well, I just hope they cover enough to see spoiler[Veldora in the flesh again.] Rimuru's at its best the more friends are around, after all.

Also very psyched to see Millum ASAP. Her appearance in the ED promises some great animation.

Id estimate 3 vols. We're almost at 12 eps or almost halfway done and the anime has only just started adapting the events of vol 2 just last week. They spent 8 eps on the events of vol 1 so its not a stretch to assume theyll divide the 24 eps by 3 vols with 8 eps per vol. Of course thats just a guess and an estimate so I could always be wrong.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps... especially if a second season is more or less in the bag (ala SAO). The first three books are really all just introduction--characters, setting, etc. The plot proper doesn't really start until Volume 4 (-ish), so it'd be kind of weird for the series to end w/ Rimuru meeting all these people but then not actually doing anything with them....
kryten2x4p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
I've been to this place in Germany. Certainly wasn't expecting to see it in 'Slime'! Albeit mirrored and "de-modernised".

GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Perhaps... especially if a second season is more or less in the bag (ala SAO). The first three books are really all just introduction--characters, setting, etc. The plot proper doesn't really start until Volume 4 (-ish), so it'd be kind of weird for the series to end w/ Rimuru meeting all these people but then not actually doing anything with them....

Considering how popular the show has been Im confident the sales will be good too so a second season isnt hard to picture happening.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Im always happy to see comedy in Slime even if some are standard fare tropes. Still Id say Gobta stole the show this week especially with the Dragon Ball reference. Im glad to see Jun Fukushima pull off Gabiru's character nicely. His performance is no different than when he voices Kazuma.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Strange women lying in trees distributing words is no basis for a system of government.

Eh, action scenes can be as rushed as they want if in turn I can get Gobta learning poison immunity.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, just in case avenging Benimaru's people and getting rid of the marauding Orc army weren't justification enough, now he also has to do it because a tree lady said so.

While I do agree theres already more than enough reason for Rimuru to fight the orcs, what Treyni basically did was confirm the identity of the orc army's leader considering they spent a bit of time guessing on who or what was causing all of this. And Dryads are actually a pretty big deal in the Jura forest but it should be explained in more detail later.
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even Rimuru himself calls out Shion's terrible cooking as one of the oldest tropes in the book. ... Unless there's a truly mind-blowing joke waiting in the wings, ...

I dunno: I thought we got a pretty good payback already from Gobta's power-up at the mention of having to eat it as a penalty game. For me, the set-up was carefully understated, the delivery was perfect, and the result laugh-out-loud funny. Gaining poison immunity was just the cherry on top -- but one which we will see again, I'm certain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 22