• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Whatever Happened to FLCL Alternative?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Pets is still a hypocritcal b word.

With that said, I enjoyed Alternative more because they actually had great characters that both the original and Progressive lacked that isn't just Haruko. Naota just whined a lot and they had no idea how to write Hidomi, and as someone who cares more for characters than plot, it worked...it's just a shame they had to derail Pets with now payoff for her. Sure it worked for Kana, but again...it's gonna make people instantly go against Pets for how she didn't just leave Kana, but the REST of her friends, and no, I still am bothered by this, and I won't shut up about it.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I liked both seasons quite a bit, but on the whole I liked Progressive more. Mix of being more what I wanted out of it and spoiler[having an actual ending.]

Though I'd say I preferred Alternative's cast. I liked Hidomi more than Kana but on the whole Alternative's crew is a lot more interesting than the side characters in Progressive.
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
I’d say people were skeptical about FLCL needing a sequel so when one came and proved the skeptics right with Progressive most people just shrugged their shoulders and ignored what was next. I mean, Williams Street was pumped for this (although they’ve also said in interviews if they got the opportunity they would fund and produce Cowboy Bebop II which would be like remaking The Godfather to a lot of fans) but really, was anyone else that desperate for more Fooly Cooly?

Isn't Cowboy Bebop II what Space Dandy was supposed to be?.

Space Dandy is almost nothing like Bebop aside from being the same genre. Dandy is more of a parody that often ascends into brilliant weirdness. You could say it was kind of trying to capitalize on the audience of Bebop, but Dandy is a fully unique show that has its own reasons for existing.

In terms of Alternative, I think it's kind of crazy that we got an FLCL sequel where the people make seem to have made a lot of the right decisions, especially after Progressive where they made so many of the wrong ones. I don't want to imagine an alternate universe where we only got Progressive. Focusing on a completely different type of coming of age story was such a good idea. Having Haruko more in the background was a good idea. Being less crazy than the original was a good idea. There's a lot of good ideas there. I'm sure many FLCL fans think that we could make a better sequel than Progressive. With Alternative, I'm personally not sure I could do better.

The popularity aspect is definitely interesting. There was a palpable sense of buzz when these projects were first announced, and when the trailers were first shown. Even on April Fools when they showed Alternative in Japanese, it seemed like there were a lot of twitter reactions. But the moment Progressive started, everyone (well, the ones who didn't before) realized that this project was kind of a fool's errand. And really stopped caring. Which is surprising. The rationale behind almost every hollow sequel or reboot that comes out these days is, there's a built-in audience. And there always is, no matter how bad the thing is, the fans of the original will watch it. If that doesn't happen it's very rare, the studio would have to really piss off the fans like they did with a certain Paul Feig film. FLCL is one of the most beloved animes in the USA and yet, this built-in audience did not turn up. Anime fans seem like they would be especially willing to go for something like this, yet they didn't. Is it because this was more of a TV event than an internet one??
Or did they just not want a sequel THAT MUCH?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

I view these two shows as similar cash grabbing nostalgia mining. Who was asking for a sequel to FLCL aside from Adult Swim producers who wanted to cash in on nostalgia? Isn't that also why they funded that Trigun movie awhile back? At least with Big O II they didn't wait 15 years and struck while the iron was still hot.

Huh? When did Adult Swim fund a Trigun movie?

The Trigun movie that actually exists aired on the block like, once.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
LvlfiveShipper wrote:

I didn't watch it because it was dubbed... Like, it's fine if you like dubs but not releasing both dubs and subs from the start makes me think that they didn't understand the fans

Toonami was going to stream the subbed version online as the dubbed was airing on TV, but the Japanese side of things demanded that they wait until both seasons were over.

The Japanese planned to show the J-version later in the year, so they didn't want Toonami to steal their thunder and lessen their sales.
Color2413

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
If "Atomsk" sends even one viewer down the rabbit hole that ends in the astonishing 1960s science fiction of Cordwainer Smith, it's worth the reference. It's still in print -- search for "The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith."
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Weird, I liked Progressive quite a bit more than Alternative. Felt like Alternative was just some lukewarm teenage melodrama, guest starring Just Vaguely FLCL.

Neither one is as good as the original, obviously, but I genuinely think Progressive is closer and is overall the better season. Definitely don't mind being in that minority.

Me too actually.

I enjoyed watching both for what they were but I think Progressive is the one I'll revisit as I preferred it as being closer in mix to the original and having a lot packed into it. The main thing that held it back from being even more special like the original to me was not doing a deeper dive into getting to know Hidomi even better. With some better pacing we could have gotten more on that which could have made it better, but instead kind of let it down a bit. Jinyu was also my favorite new character from both sequels so there was that too.

I enjoyed Alternative for the camaraderie of Kana and her friends that Progressive was light on, and the nice low-key tone, but at the same time there wasn't much of the other side of FLCL to it. I also enjoyed the return of more of the playful and kinda helpful, but still just as disruptive, side of Haruko that we didn't get as much of in Progressive due to the story and where her character was, and the whole split thing.

Lizuka wrote:
I liked both seasons quite a bit, but on the whole I liked Progressive more. Mix of being more what I wanted out of it and spoiler[having an actual ending.]

Though I'd say I preferred Alternative's cast. I liked Hidomi more than Kana but on the whole Alternative's crew is a lot more interesting than the side characters in Progressive.

Yeah.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
So Toonami showrunner/FLCL sequel producer Jacon DeMarco has confirmed that Alternative is a "loose prequel" to the other two shows, and that Haruko ended up on Mars at the end. The rest is left up to interpretation.

How does it all work? We're meant to interpret for ourselves, but my guess is that the bulk of the story took place in the near future but Haruko was sent back in time at the end, which is why images from the original FLCL flashed by on her Vespa before she rode into the vortex. From Haruko's perspective, Alternative happened first, then the other two. From everyone else's perspective, the three series took place in the order they were released.
Sketchor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:57 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

I view these two shows as similar cash grabbing nostalgia mining. Who was asking for a sequel to FLCL aside from Adult Swim producers who wanted to cash in on nostalgia? Isn't that also why they funded that Trigun movie awhile back? At least with Big O II they didn't wait 15 years and struck while the iron was still hot.

Huh? When did Adult Swim fund a Trigun movie?

The Trigun movie that actually exists aired on the block like, once.

Adult Swim had nothing to do with that Trigun movie. Hell it didn't even air on Adult Swim until quite some time after it was released on home video. But I do believe the popularity of Trigun in the west is a key reason why that movie got made.

Nobody was gonna make bank on FLCL sequels and they understood that but they also felt IG would find another partner if they didn't step up themselves and they were genuinely concerned that someone else would do a worse job.

I agree they could have been original series without FLCL trappings and Haruko but US television loves familiarity and putting substantial money behind a new anime with no brand recognition is a far greater risk than associating a new project with a familiar one. It's the same reason the first Adult Swim original action show to make it beyond a pilot episode was a new season of Samurai Jack.

Now that they've tested the waters, I hope they do some brand new IPs rather than more sequels but if they could manage even 6 more episodes of Sym-Bionic Titan to finish the series, that would be incredible.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:00 am Reply with quote
LvlfiveShipper wrote:
I didn't watch it because it was dubbed... Like, it's fine if you like dubs but not releasing both dubs and subs from the start makes me think that they didn't understand the fans

The thing is that FLCL really took off in the west for being on Adult Swim Action. Hence, a large part of the western audience for this show first saw it via the English dub, and that includes myself. And I think that they DO understand those fans (including myself) by doing that first.

I have never watched it subbed, and really, I don't really intend to. Stuff like Kari Wahlgren's voice for Haruko are just too iconic for me to detach from the show.

Zeino wrote:
My guess is that Progressive's underwhelmingness killed most of the excitement for sequels, so that lot more people were indifferent when Alternative hit. In hindsight, they really should have aired it first as it was a good series and worthy follow-up that deserves more praise.

Agreed. Alternative was a LOT better than Progressive. It felt more FLCL-like, had better, more relatable characters, and made use of the 6-episode format much better.

MesousaGaby wrote:
Pets is still a hypocritcal b word.

With that said, I enjoyed Alternative more because they actually had great characters that both the original and Progressive lacked that isn't just Haruko. Naota just whined a lot and they had no idea how to write Hidomi, and as someone who cares more for characters than plot, it worked...it's just a shame they had to derail Pets with now payoff for her. Sure it worked for Kana, but again...it's gonna make people instantly go against Pets for how she didn't just leave Kana, but the REST of her friends, and no, I still am bothered by this, and I won't shut up about it.

Felt to me that the events of Episode 5 were planned out from the start. Of Kana's friends, only Pets kept strictly to herself and behaved entirely through reacting to the other characters. That being said, she's not supposed to be entirely sympathetic. We're seeing the story through Kana's perspective, after all, and the idea is that Kana has to accept Pets's decisions without having to agree with her. In addition, the overall theme of it all is that unpleasant change will happen to people, but it's a part of growing up and maturing. (And this is in a difference sense than in Who Moved My Cheese?, which is simple acceptance without questioning.)

InimitableUman wrote:
In terms of Alternative, I think it's kind of crazy that we got an FLCL sequel where the people make seem to have made a lot of the right decisions, especially after Progressive where they made so many of the wrong ones. I don't want to imagine an alternate universe where we only got Progressive. Focusing on a completely different type of coming of age story was such a good idea. Having Haruko more in the background was a good idea. Being less crazy than the original was a good idea. There's a lot of good ideas there. I'm sure many FLCL fans think that we could make a better sequel than Progressive. With Alternative, I'm personally not sure I could do better.

In the commercial breaks in between, and a bit before they started airing, there were interviews with various people, both on the English side and the Japanese side. If I recall correctly, the writers and directors are different between Progressive and Alternative, hence why they felt so different from each other. And it felt to me as if the Progressive team wanted to focus on the wacky animation and crazy characters (but that wouldn't have been possible under Production I.G), whereas Alternative wanted to focus on the coming-of-age story more. The biggest difference is Haruko's role between the two, and what I think epitomizes their diametric approaches: Progressive's Haruko is directly responsible for much of the plot happening, with the other characters as bystanders or ineffectual participants getting caught into her weirdness, but Alternative's Haruko is the bystander, only coming in to help Kana and the others when they need a push in the right direction.

InimitableUman wrote:
The popularity aspect is definitely interesting. There was a palpable sense of buzz when these projects were first announced, and when the trailers were first shown. Even on April Fools when they showed Alternative in Japanese, it seemed like there were a lot of twitter reactions. But the moment Progressive started, everyone (well, the ones who didn't before) realized that this project was kind of a fool's errand. And really stopped caring. Which is surprising. The rationale behind almost every hollow sequel or reboot that comes out these days is, there's a built-in audience. And there always is, no matter how bad the thing is, the fans of the original will watch it. If that doesn't happen it's very rare, the studio would have to really piss off the fans like they did with a certain Paul Feig film. FLCL is one of the most beloved animes in the USA and yet, this built-in audience did not turn up. Anime fans seem like they would be especially willing to go for something like this, yet they didn't. Is it because this was more of a TV event than an internet one??
Or did they just not want a sequel THAT MUCH?

I think it's because people kind of move in Internet time nowadays. That is, instant gratification has become more prevalent than it used to be. People heard of the announcement and saw the first episode...then they probably forgot about it or moved on to other things in the ensuing months. I know I've witnessed this sort of thing on YouTube as I've been putting up videos for over ten years: Striking while the iron's hot is more important than ever to getting a good audience, and that iron now chills incredibly quickly.

Wyvern wrote:
So Toonami showrunner/FLCL sequel producer Jacon DeMarco has confirmed that Alternative is a "loose prequel" to the other two shows, and that Haruko ended up on Mars at the end. The rest is left up to interpretation.

My interpretation is that the entire epilogue is on Mars, as the sky is pink. It's a mirror of the first scene in Alternative, but the sky was definitely blue there. spoiler[I'm not sure what became of the people of Earth, however, as all we see is the town where Kana lives, nor what happened to those who went to Mars on the rockets, nor what the giant pins actually do, however.]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Maybe there's a problem in the production side?

FLCL: Mayumi Shintani voice actress of Haruko, upset with FLCL sequels scriptwriter Hideto Iwai

Quote:

Soon after a new poster of FLCL Progressive/Alternative was released in Japan, the scriptwriter Iwai claimed on his twitter "I wrote for it, but already there are a lot of dialogues I have never seen ;-("「書いたはずだが、すでに知らないセリフ山ほど言っとる…涙 やられたか…」

It may mean that the dialogues are changed from the script, while he doesn’t know.

And Shintani risponded immediately, "We make up our mind to work hard on the project to create something new, and at that time you are already not there. I didn't give up until the last minute. You don't have the right to say that, and it's not the right time to say that. Very disappointed at him."「私達現場の人間がそれなりの覚悟を持って新しいものを産み出そうとしていたときにすでにあなたはいなかったでしょ、私は最後まであがいたよ。貴方にそれを言う資格はないし、言うタイミングでもない。アニメだろうと演劇だろうと脚本家の持つ責任は変わらないと思う。なんてがっかりな奴だ。」

She continues "I have so much regrets. I wrote those feelings in a long sentence like 30 thousand characters long, and delete it again and again. But all of those words would be gauche. So, I will continue to try hard to act in Anime and theater! That's all."「あまりの悔しさに3万字くらい書いては消してるけど 何を書いても野暮になるので とりあえず 私はアニメも演劇もちゃんと頑張るし楽しむよ! 以上。」

Sorry, my english is poor, and don't know if my translation is accurate. The original tweets are already deleted.

As you know, the original series of FLCL was made by Director Tsurumaki, Scriptwriter Enokido, Characterdesigner Sadamoto. These three are the CORE member of FLCL, and I think it's impossible to make an sequel without them.

I haven't watch Progressive and Alternative yet, and was nervous for the new director Motohiro and his ex-favorite actor Iwai. Iwai originally wasn’t a Anime's writer, but an actor.

I know there are many actors that succeed as writers, but I had doubts about Iwai's abilities on Anime. FLCL Progressive/Alternative was his first Anime script. Before, he have never worked on Anime project.

And then, these tweets comes out few hours ago.

Anyway, I hope Progressive and Alternative are good. In Japan, they are going on theaters both in September...

Not enough good use of kickass Pillows soundtracks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2