• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - What Makes A Great English Translation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
For years, Sailor Moon's first "real" weapon was translated as the "Moon Stick", because "Stick" (the English word) was used in the original Japanese. However, "stick" had (from a Japanese pronunciation of the word), connotations with romantic words like "suki" (the same "suki" used for "daisuki" or "I love you") and gave a more dreamlike impression than what a native English speaker would glean from "stick", which feels more mundane and ordinary. The Eternal version chose to translate "Moon Stick" as "Moon Wand" to try and capture that magical, dreamy impression for English-reading audiences as well.

Those kinds of changes are extremely annoying, especially in anime since you clearly hear the voice actors say one thing but the subs insist it's something else. Plus it seems a bit hypocritical given the disdain for the old English translation. By the same logic most American's don't know what Buddhist religious stuff is, so renaming Burning Manadala made sense to get the intention across.

Honestly, having started my anime life with NA Sailor Moon and moved on over the years to more refined tastes (and becoming the occasional sub snob), I don't find this very annoying at all. It *is* a bit jarring at first, but anyone regularly watching subs should be used to that.

So-called "false friends" are a problem with all languages and anyone who's taken even an intro course in any of them will have been warned that just because a word became used in a different tongue doesn't mean it has the same meaning. When given a choice between a direct reimportation of the word and the *wrong impression* being given as a result of it, IMHO a translator should go for audience-in-mind accuracy.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Oh, and I know it's a bit old, but y'all familiar with the first translation of Azumanga Daioh? What do you think about their decision to change English language/classes to Spanish? While not as drastic as Phoenix Wright's donuts, it's the same kind of thing--trying to make the subject matter more "relatable" to American audiences?

I can't speak for the Manga since I've only read some of it, and that was the occaisional 4koma posted online so I have no idea which translation it was, or if it was even the official translation or not.

As for the anime, I like the fact that they kept Yukari as an English teacher. I don't see the point in changing it to Spanish. The show is obviously about Japanese students at a Japanese school so it's perfectly reasonable that they attend English class. And there's a scene in which Yukari talks with a blond-haired blue-eyed foreigner, and that doesn't work quite as well if she's supposedly a Spanish teacher. Not to mention there's a few jokes which work better with the students learning English as opposed to Spanish.

That said I agree with Hiroki not Takuya that having Osaka speak with a southern or Texan sort of accent was a great choice.
DeeeFoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I think a good general rule of thumb when translating/localizing something, is to say the translated sentence out loud. If it sounds natural and sounds like something you would hear in a native English conversation, then you're good to go. If not, then usually you'll notice right away, since it will often sound clunky, stiff, cringey, unnatural, or all of the above.

Ideally, a translated work should have no traces of the original language left in it, save for a few exceptions. Those exceptions include loan words that already exist in the English dictionary (sushi, dojo, sensei, etc), or cultural items such as the names of food, places, books, movies, etc.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Yen Press edition of Yotsuba&? translates the “honyakuka / konnyakuka” mix-up as “translator' and “trash loader.”

I actually remember the ADV version being "train spotter" or something. lol It was cute.

Also... As a professional former game translator who keeps getting caught up in translation work somehow...

To me, what's most important is first, accuracy to the original text to make sure that the meaning is as close as possible. Next, I go into the localization phase, where things are changed to sound more natural, like a TV show or even real life. It makes it easier to process, and keeps the reader within the world of the work.

And the Japanese words... It really depends on your audience + if you have room for a translation notes section. I was really impressed by the standards of Del Rey manga, with the great translation notes there.
However.
If you're going to translate a game at a "non-otaku audience" (i.e. gamers who don't like "weaboo stuff") you need to make it more accessible. For example, Nakama. Only the super hardcore fans are going to know what that word means. By leaving it, you alienate a huge part of your market, and that's a darn shame. Because, had you not scared them away, they could have actually found they LIKED the series.

Now, do not misunderstand me--I love direct translations. They are my life blood. I've fought with my teeth bared against fellow translators and the developer that made the damn game in order to keep faithful translations of the text.
But there comes a line when you're just throwing in so much untranslated Japanese that it's not readable. I remember seeing subtitles for a fansubbed anime that read "Yoroshiku" with translator notes that read "well translation yoroshiku is really hard and it can mean nice to meet you or I'll be in your care or whatever so I'll leave it" or something and I was just like "Why don't you adapt the word to the situation then...?")
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:30 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
For that matter, why should the expectations of a manga or anime translation be any different from what we expect from the translation of a movie or a literary novel? I want to see what the original author was actually *trying* to say and the specific words they wanted to use, not an approximate English equivalent.

ALL translations are approximations. The only way a translation can be exact is if the language you're translating to was designed to be translated from the start. (This can apply with some programming languages, but it doesn't really work with any human communication languages, not even Esperanto or Ido.)

whiskeyii wrote:
I also see this (and it drives me NUUUUUTS) when the English word "bitch" is used in Japanese, and it gets translated into a 1:1 English equivalent (i.e., "bitch") when the implications of its use in Japanese is actually more like "slut".

While it's visual and would not really need translation, that does remind me of how the meaning of the middle finger in Japan is a lot milder than in the Anglosphere.

jenny10-11 wrote:
I prefer a more natural translation, one that sticks to the spirit of the original Japanese, and doesn't twist itself into knots to try and directly translate. There's nothing worse (in my opinion) then coming across a clunky translation and being pulled out of the story to wonder what the the original Japanese was. Good translation notes can also help balance the difference between literal and poetic translations.

For me, the mere existence of translator's notes takes me out of the story and reminds me that there was someone translating it, especially when placed between panels. If I'm reading something translated from another language, ideally, it should be seamless. Translator's notes to me are like seeing the shadow of a boom mic in the background: It ruins the immersion. (For the same reason, fansub notes at the bottom of the screen drives me nuts, especially when they take up an excessive portion of the screen.)

I understand why they're there, and I understand that some people really like them. But I don't. If you're going to have notes, put them at the very beginning or very end, when I'm not in the story anymore.

Zerreth wrote:
Perhaps it's because I understand Japanese, Korean and a bit of Chinese that I may have a bias and am able to convert literal translations in my head and deal with them slightly better, but I cannot tolerate rewrites even if it's "for the sake of fluidity." It's a poor excuse for "translators" to believe they are above the work and decide they can write better material, and more often then not, it backfires later on when the part that was previously written out becomes the core piece for an arc.

I should point out that English was not my first language, and I've had to interpret for people between my first language and English, so i do understand the issues of translation and such. So I'd like to say that I actually go the other way: I want something with an end result that feels natural. I want to forget it was ever in another language to begin with, because I enjoy a work of fiction the most when I forget that I'm consuming a work of fiction at all.

NOA Treehouse is a good example of that, particularly games localized by or have it supervised by Nate Bihldorff. The Paper Mario games achieved a level of cult success that didn't happen in Japan, for instance, because Bihldorff spiced up the dialogue in the first Paper Mario game to such a degree that THAT became its appeal in English. It helps that someone like Bihldorff is extremely knowledgeable on a wide variety of subjects (I don't know if he's been on Jeopardy!, but if he hasn't, he should) and has a Master's in English, so he's very good at writing entertaining dialogue in general. That being said, Paper Mario was not actually intended to have so many liberties taken. Rather, the Japanese translator was terrible at English and handed over weird and oftentimes incomprehensible translations to Treehouse, so Bihldorff, who at the time was a freelance novelist, worked with what he had to the best of his ability.

poisondusk wrote:
They're two different things, but it's the line between isn't as clear cut as you make it sound, and translation in an entertainment industry like anime or games is often going to include a mix of both. When I was translating video games, I was expected to do everything from straightforward translations (translating the time and contents of a new event in a live game), to heavy localisation (achievement names in Japanese are often simple and reflect the actions needed to unlock it, in English it's common to include jokes and references, or literary flourishes to suit the tone of the game). A good professional translator knows when something needs substantial rewriting to work, and when it's fine as it is.

Now I have to wonder about Skullgirls' Japanese translation, which I'm guessing is more of a localization, because the game is absolutely PACKED with references to dang near everything imaginable that would be lost in any language other than English. You could spot a reference to Law & Order, and five seconds later there would be a Nietzsche quote and then something pulled out of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. When a fight begins with Filia vs. Peacock, Peacock will sarcastically say, "Maybe she's born with it!" (referring to Filia's sentient hair), which westerners will recognize is a Maybelline cosmetics slogan but I'm guessing the Japanese would not. One of Big Band's win quotes is, "I have to go; my planet needs me" as he floats to the top of the screen, which is a reference to a scene from The Simpsons episode "Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie," which wouldn't be caught as a reference in any country where The Simpsons isn't popular (or if the translator doesn't catch that reference to begin with). One thing Robo-Fortune dislikes is unsalted passwords, as salted ones taste better, which an unfamiliar translator would either have to look up (and might be confused reading about cryptographic salting) or not realize it isn't pure word salad.

Shiflan wrote:
Well said.
I can't speak for all readers or subtitle watchers, but I enjoy learning new Japanese terms when I come across them in manga or anime. I often break out the dictionary whenever I hear a character speak a word that I know was highly localized in its translation. I find that sort of thing to be fun.

I don't. But that's just my perspective. I don't want to have to go and look something up external when I'm watching, reading, or playing something. Maybe after I'm done if I'm curious about something, but NEVER in the middle of it. I find that to be a form of interruption.

By the way, there are definitely plenty of parts in the Anglosphere where sashimi is not commonly understood. Sushi, karate, and ninja, yes. But not sashimi. Not even rice balls, though if the setting is pretty obviously Japanese or Japanese-inspired, it'd make sense. I can understand why 4Kids went in the direction of "doughnut" though, as the setting isn't obviously Japanese, and they were airing this in places where you won't find anything to eat more Japanese than a California roll.

Fluwm wrote:
God, I want to be reborn in another world where no one ever confuses humor with pop culture references. Please. Please. Please.

I remember when I was in college, I had a roommate who was quite the fan of Family Guy. When I said that I couldn't really get much humor out of the show, my roommate told me it's likely because I didn't understand a lot of the pop culture references. It was an interesting thought, as said roommate is actually pretty intelligent, and I was pointing out references in the show to stuff outside of the normal modern pop culture sphere, such as who Somerset Maughm was and a really out-of-the-blue quantum mechanics pun, which I DID find amusing.

I actually quite enjoy spotting references in works (and I've been absorbing pop culture over the past few decades to better spot those), but a reference should make sense to someone who isn't familiar with what's being referenced. That is, either you recognize it, or you don't know it's there at all. A good example is the Space Dandy episode about Ukuleleman, which is very similar in narrative structure, background art style, and nature of villain to Courage the Cowardly Dog. I watched a lot of Courage back in the day so I spotted it instantly, but that episode is still enjoyable to someone who has never heard of the cartoon as a story of Space Dandy rescuing his friends from a crazed fan who wields immense, creepy powers.

Fluwm wrote:
Oh, and I know it's a bit old, but y'all familiar with the first translation of Azumanga Daioh? What do you think about their decision to change English language/classes to Spanish? While not as drastic as Phoenix Wright's donuts, it's the same kind of thing--trying to make the subject matter more "relatable" to American audiences?

It was a choice I can understand, professionally, but it's really annoyed me for a long time (and still annoys me as I've still got the books). Similarly the "varsity" terminology in the Cross Game series. In both cases, I (part of the intended American audience) was *more* confused simply because I couldn't relate. I never learned Spanish in school, and I could imagine that many Japanese schoolchildren would be interested in Spanish, either; and not being crazy into sports, I wasn't familiar with the varsity terminology (whereas the Japanese terms more directly translated to things like first-string, second-string, etc. whose meaning is rather self-evident). At what point does Americanization go too far?

What is the context behind "first-string," "second-string," and so forth? I never got into Azumanga Daioh. Wasn't really my cup of tea, whether official translations or scanlations.

Actar wrote:
One of the reasons I'm not a fan of omitting Onee-chan is that it signals to the viewer that the character is talking to his sister. If you just use the name, that nuance (or sometimes important info) is lost.

If written well, that should be understandable through context, which is how the majority of native English fiction approaches it.

DeeeFoo wrote:
I think a good general rule of thumb when translating/localizing something, is to say the translated sentence out loud. If it sounds natural and sounds like something you would hear in a native English conversation, then you're good to go. If not, then usually you'll notice right away, since it will often sound clunky, stiff, cringey, unnatural, or all of the above.

Ideally, a translated work should have no traces of the original language left in it, save for a few exceptions. Those exceptions include loan words that already exist in the English dictionary (sushi, dojo, sensei, etc), or cultural items such as the names of food, places, books, movies, etc.

More so than that, actually. The entire conversation should feel natural. Sentences don't exist in isolation, but in context with surrounding sentences. Otherwise, you run the risk of Rejected style dialogue. (Rejected was made to look and sound intentionally corny and baffling, however.)

mewpudding101 wrote:
And the Japanese words... It really depends on your audience + if you have room for a translation notes section. I was really impressed by the standards of Del Rey manga, with the great translation notes there.
However.
If you're going to translate a game at a "non-otaku audience" (i.e. gamers who don't like "weaboo stuff") you need to make it more accessible. For example, Nakama. Only the super hardcore fans are going to know what that word means. By leaving it, you alienate a huge part of your market, and that's a darn shame. Because, had you not scared them away, they could have actually found they LIKED the series.

I'd say the same goes for any medium, not just video games. It's all a matter of whom you're aiming your audience at. People got into Naruto BECAUSE it was so Japanese, so it makes sense to leave in a lot of Japanese stuff in the dialogue and such. On the other hand, most of the stuff coming from Nintendo is meant to have global appeal, so the dialogue and text have to be written in a way that's palatable to people who would otherwise never buy anything Japanese that isn't a car.

That's why I find it interesting that in Splatoon 2, in a software update, they rewrote Marina's lines (Iida in the original Japanese) so that she would come across as gentler to Pearl (Hime in Japanese). Off the Hook, in Japanese, mirrors a manzai comedy routine, but manzai is largely unfamiliar in the west and also quite unappealing. (Certainly, I can't stand manzai. Something about manzai just makes me angry, and the same goes in Japanese fiction when the straight man yells at the other characters about what they're doing wrong.) The way it was rewritten, initially, put it closer to more familiar routines in the west, namely like that of Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello. Hence, it's a change I regret a bit because I found it made Off the Hook less funny, just that it's interesting that the Nintendo audience is growing more...how should I put it...knowledgeable in Japanese culture, so they demand something more literal? NOA Treehouse has been moving toward the literal end of the spectrum with time, even those where Nate Bihldorff is involved. I'm guessing never again will we have a reference to Deliverance stuck into a Mario game, even if that reference is so well-implemented that most people will never recognize it as a reference.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of reminded of how frequently Jews are completely flummoxed by passages about Judaism or Jews meant for goyim because common terms are either translated or translated strangely due to Christian traditions. I only recently learned what "Tabernacles" is.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

By the way, there are definitely plenty of parts in the Anglosphere where sashimi is not commonly understood. Sushi, karate, and ninja, yes. But not sashimi. Not even rice balls, though if the setting is pretty obviously Japanese or Japanese-inspired, it'd make sense. I can understand why 4Kids went in the direction of "doughnut" though, as the setting isn't obviously Japanese, and they were airing this in places where you won't find anything to eat more Japanese than a California roll.

The thing that bothers me most about that particular example is that there is an obvious disconnect (read: error) in the translation because any viewer can look at the screen (or manga) and see that the characters are clearly not eating "doughnuts". You don't have to know what onigiri is in order to tell that the word doughnut doesn't match what you're actually seeing. What's wrong with "rice ball"? Even if you've never had or eaten them before, or have no clue what they are, the term is self-explanatory. The setting of Pokemon might not be obviously Japanese, but it IS obvious that the food in question is not doughnuts. That sort obvious "mistake" really ruins the illusion, at least in my experience.

I remember a similar gripe when Tenchi Muyo was broadcast on Cartoon Network--the same release that was infamous for its digipaint swimsuits. They didn't want to have the characters drinking alcohol (sake), so they changed the dubbing to "tea". Again, the change was obvious since the characters doing the drinking still acted like they were intoxicated, became visibly flushed, and anyone who had been to a Japanese restaurant or had a little Japanese movie experience would instantly recognize the distinctive sake bottle shape, as well as the serving flasks and the special cups as well. Perhaps an actual kid wouldn't have noticed, but any adult would certainly have noticed that something was up with that translation. Even if you have no clue what a sake bottle looks like the actions and appearance of the characters were a giveaway. In my opinion it's a big mistake when the visuals clearly and obviously contradict what the text or dialogue states.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Even if you've never had or eaten them before, or have no clue what they are, the term is self-explanatory. The setting of Pokemon might not be obviously Japanese, but it IS obvious that the food in question is not doughnuts.

I don't get how people don't see the world of Pocket Monsters as Japanese. The first four generations are specifically set in regions based on Japanese locals, the characters all have Japanese names, there are Japanese festivals, they use yen as money, they wear Japanese clothing and all sorts of things. If the argument was more "4kids removed all the Japanese culture from the show but did't bother to edit the rice balls to sandwhiches or cookies like they did in later episodes" then okay.

Same thing with leafy sea dragon's comments how Nintendo's products are made with global appeal. That might have been Nintendo of America's goal throughout the years but there's plenty of Japanese-ness to Nintendo throughout the years that's been present in their games across the decades. Don't mistake the localized version of games like Kunio-kun (River City Ransom) or the fact popular games like Famicom Tantei Club never came out in the west as their lack of existence. Games like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem would have stayed Japan-only if NoA was still like it was during the 80s and 90s. Fire Emblem especially has been there since the Famicom days. The way I see it is if these games truly were global, you wouldn't see huge waves of localization changes and censorship in them.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

I don't get how people don't see the world of Pocket Monsters as Japanese. The first four generations are specifically set in regions based on Japanese locals, the characters all have Japanese names, there are Japanese festivals, they use yen as money, they wear Japanese clothing and all sorts of things. If the argument was more "4kids removed all the Japanese culture from the show but did't bother to edit the rice balls to sandwhiches or cookies like they did in later episodes" then okay.

I couldn't tell you. I haven't watched any Pokemon anime, played any of the games, or read the manga. But my (admittedly limited) understanding is that they westernized all the character names, for the US releases anyway. I couldn't help but pick up a bit of pokemon knowledge simply by being an anime fan, so I know that, for example, they changed Kasumi to Misty, Takeshi to Brock, and so on.

My point was that regardless of what they did or didn't change for localization, it's still obvious to everyone watching that what the characters are calling "doughnuts" certainly don't look like doughnuts. That error is still obvious independent of the other details.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
That's why I find it interesting that in Splatoon 2, in a software update, they rewrote Marina's lines (Iida in the original Japanese) so that she would come across as gentler to Pearl (Hime in Japanese). Off the Hook, in Japanese, mirrors a manzai comedy routine, but manzai is largely unfamiliar in the west and also quite unappealing. (Certainly, I can't stand manzai. Something about manzai just makes me angry, and the same goes in Japanese fiction when the straight man yells at the other characters about what they're doing wrong.) The way it was rewritten, initially, put it closer to more familiar routines in the west, namely like that of Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello. Hence, it's a change I regret a bit because I found it made Off the Hook less funny, just that it's interesting that the Nintendo audience is growing more...how should I put it...knowledgeable in Japanese culture, so they demand something more literal? NOA Treehouse has been moving toward the literal end of the spectrum with time, even those where Nate Bihldorff is involved. I'm guessing never again will we have a reference to Deliverance stuck into a Mario game, even if that reference is so well-implemented that most people will never recognize it as a reference.

Treehouse has been getting a lot of backlash lately for their not very subtle liberties.
As audiences come more accostumed to being in contact with different cultures, removing their sensibilities becomes more upsetting for them.

I don't know if I did before, but I wanted to complain about rewrites not in sentences and jokes but of entire characters... which rather than on manga and anime it happens more often in videogames.
The characters that I had in mind the most were Neptune first and... precisely Iida/Marina second.
In Marina's case, for once I've had a lifetime's worth of witty banter with Hollywood action movies. But in second place, in her lines Marina often came across as outright mean. You could say she was a smug jerk. I didn't like Marina much.
That's why I was surprised to see translations of many of her Japanese dialogues and while she is indeed a tsukkomi, many of her lines were softer, sweet and caring. And she is kind of a fangirl for Pearl (although you could see some of that in English). I liked Iida better.
So for me, that localization to make her dialogue "more funny" was a net loss.

So I'm pretty glad of this shift on people's preferences since it aligns better with mine and it gives more room for the sensibilities of different cultures to shine.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Take a look at British shows. Do they change ‘torch’ to ‘flashlight’

For The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, yes they did in the American print of the book.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

The thing that bothers me most about that particular example is that there is an obvious disconnect (read: error) in the translation because any viewer can look at the screen (or manga) and see that the characters are clearly not eating "doughnuts". You don't have to know what onigiri is in order to tell that the word doughnut doesn't match what you're actually seeing. What's wrong with "rice ball"? Even if you've never had or eaten them before, or have no clue what they are, the term is self-explanatory. The setting of Pokemon might not be obviously Japanese, but it IS obvious that the food in question is not doughnuts. That sort obvious "mistake" really ruins the illusion, at least in my experience.

I remember a similar gripe when Tenchi Muyo was broadcast on Cartoon Network--the same release that was infamous for its digipaint swimsuits. They didn't want to have the characters drinking alcohol (sake), so they changed the dubbing to "tea". Again, the change was obvious since the characters doing the drinking still acted like they were intoxicated, became visibly flushed, and anyone who had been to a Japanese restaurant or had a little Japanese movie experience would instantly recognize the distinctive sake bottle shape, as well as the serving flasks and the special cups as well. Perhaps an actual kid wouldn't have noticed, but any adult would certainly have noticed that something was up with that translation. Even if you have no clue what a sake bottle looks like the actions and appearance of the characters were a giveaway. In my opinion it's a big mistake when the visuals clearly and obviously contradict what the text or dialogue states.

Regarding the rice balls: Of course, and I would've rather they called them rice balls too. It's just that I understood their decision to refer to it as a doughnut, as a small white ball eaten as a snack can definitely pass for a donut, even if kids might wonder what that black rectangle is supposed to be. Black rectangles aside, there ARE doughnuts that look like that, even if they tend to be more round and less triangular. (And, of course, there will be people who will wonder how you shape rice into balls or why you'd eat them by hand if they grew up in places where rice is always seasoned before serving or where brown rice is the dominant kind, as they can't stick to each other to form balls, but that's a discussion for another day.) This leads me to something I found pretty interesting, in that NOA Treehouse chose to refer to katsudon in Rhythm Heaven Megamix as "pork rice bowls," which has the same number of syllables (which is important) and describes it decently well.

As for substituting liquor for tea, I think there's a different reason behind that, in that I'm pretty sure consumption of alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be depicted during the hours that Tenchi Muyo! showed on Toonami. That is, it's not that they (as in Toonami) didn't WANT to, but that they COULDN'T legally do so. I definitely remember 4Kids struggling on this front a few times too, and they created several workarounds depending on the context, such as calling it "strong stuff" or "spritzers." Obviously, this law had not always been around (nor the similar ban on smoking), but I definitely remember seeing a complete disappearance of drinking alcohol in programming expected to have a lot of children watching. They had a grandfather exception so stuff like Looney Tunes could get away with it, but that eventually was gone too.

Chester McCool wrote:

Pokémon took off during a time when Americans (and Europeans), as a whole, were not quite as familiar with Japan as a country as they are now. Particularly since the proper nouns were mostly changed, there is nothing that directly Japanese about it (except the Kanto region's name due to there being no change to its naming, but most westerns don't know about Japan's Kanto region). Most of the people into Pokémon I knew during then, and even now, see the Pokémon world as an exotic fantasy world and don't see most of the allusions to Japanese culture in it. (I don't know how the Japanese versions of the games look like as far as their currency goes, but the versions I play have a "P" denoted instead of a "Y." As the name of the currency has never been mentioned once, most western fans call them "Pokédollars." I sometimes call them "yen" as the quantities to buy things seem to correspond roughly to yen, which confuses the people I address, or I get "You mean Pokédollars?" I'm not annoyed by it, of course.)

In other words, some things are removed but not others, but the stuff that remains is largely unrecognizable as Japanese to most of the non-Japanese people who play these games or watch the show. If you're only consuming the Japanese versions of these things, and you pay more attention to Japanese culture than western culture, it can be easy to forget how little your average westerner can recognize distinctly Japanese things.

Nowadays, you have stuff like "Furisode Girl" as a trainer class, showing how they assume a level of awareness of Japanese culture (I admit I didn't know what a furisode was until then). But I'd still expect lots of people to call it a "furry-soad," just as I kept hearing Mr. Fuji's name, in the earliest games, as "Mr. Fudgy."

Chester McCool wrote:
Same thing with leafy sea dragon's comments how Nintendo's products are made with global appeal. That might have been Nintendo of America's goal throughout the years but there's plenty of Japanese-ness to Nintendo throughout the years that's been present in their games across the decades. Don't mistake the localized version of games like Kunio-kun (River City Ransom) or the fact popular games like Famicom Tantei Club never came out in the west as their lack of existence. Games like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem would have stayed Japan-only if NoA was still like it was during the 80s and 90s. Fire Emblem especially has been there since the Famicom days. The way I see it is if these games truly were global, you wouldn't see huge waves of localization changes and censorship in them.

Nintendo is a Japanese company, so indeed they would see things from a Japanese perspective. Sometimes, they might not realize something is unacceptable elsewhere. But for their most popular franchises--Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokémon, Smash Bros., Splatoon, and so forth--development is done in collaboration with Nintendo's other branches to make sure the finished product can be released as similarly to each other as possible and released relatively close to each other. Stuff like Fire Emblem is quite popular, but nowhere near the level of popularity as the above franchises, though the success of Awakening and Fates in the west suggests to me that Fire Emblem, as a franchise, will be adjusted in the future to meet global demand accordingly. Considering the earliest games in even their top franchises were made with Japan first, Nintendo's approach is to observe and modify (as anathema as it might be to some around here).

Yuvelir wrote:
Treehouse has been getting a lot of backlash lately for their not very subtle liberties.
As audiences come more accostumed to being in contact with different cultures, removing their sensibilities becomes more upsetting for them.

I don't know if I did before, but I wanted to complain about rewrites not in sentences and jokes but of entire characters... which rather than on manga and anime it happens more often in videogames.
The characters that I had in mind the most were Neptune first and... precisely Iida/Marina second.
In Marina's case, for once I've had a lifetime's worth of witty banter with Hollywood action movies. But in second place, in her lines Marina often came across as outright mean. You could say she was a smug jerk. I didn't like Marina much.
That's why I was surprised to see translations of many of her Japanese dialogues and while she is indeed a tsukkomi, many of her lines were softer, sweet and caring. And she is kind of a fangirl for Pearl (although you could see some of that in English). I liked Iida better.
So for me, that localization to make her dialogue "more funny" was a net loss.

So I'm pretty glad of this shift on people's preferences since it aligns better with mine and it gives more room for the sensibilities of different cultures to shine.

On the other hand, the liberties are what allowed Paper Mario to get out of the shadow of Super Mario RPG, so I don't see that going away any time soon. The Paper Mario fans, at this point, kind of expect it too.

As for the behavior of Marina/Iida, thank you for your input and reasons for your opinions. I should explain mine: I grew up watching stuff like the aforementioned Looney Tunes, as well as Tom & Jerry, Dexter's Laboratory, Ren & Stimpy, and other such cartoons with a lot of comedic physical violence and witty dialogue (and there is plenty in T&J, just from the side characters). As I grew older, I added the likes of The Simpsons, South Park, and King of the Hill. Then, I started watching anime. When I'd watch Japanese comedy, by comparison, it always felt incredibly tame and risk-averse. It always felt like they were trying not to step on anybody's toes. That's why I enjoyed the hard-edged, more biting style when Splatoon 2 was new. However, I fully understand that comedy is perhaps the most subjective form of entertainment there is, and I also get that this approach can come across as excessively harsh and mean-spirited. Everybody has a different sense of humor. (On the other hand, I seem to have a preference for puns moreso than most of my comrades, which lines up pretty well with Japanese media's love for wordplay.)

I should make it clear that the rewriting of her dialogue to make it more in line with how she is in Japanese does not bother me that much. I can still sense a good level of delicious snark in her, but I can also see how they toned down her harshness, as well as making it clearer that this is an act.

(For the record, I do have my own lines where things become less funny or downright unfunny. Unusually, it's an anime that actually crossed that line: Super Milk-chan is an anime in which you have a single sympathetic character who is then belittled and abused throughout the entire series, and she is too nice to do anything but take it. This is bullying, and I do not find bullying funny in the least. I thought it may have been due to the localization, but I looked into it and found that it's like this originally in Japanese too. Pop Team Epic I do find funny, and indeed it's one of the funniest anime of all time to me, despite there being a lot of bully-like behavior because Popuko and Pipimi are both equally terrible human beings, so there's a kind of cathartic release when they're at each other's throats, in a Larry David kind of way.)

K.o.R wrote:
For The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, yes they did in the American print of the book.

Special mention goes to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which was changed to Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone for North America.

Maybe special mention, for very different reasons, for The Magic Roundabout becoming Doogal as well.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

As for substituting liquor for tea, I think there's a different reason behind that, in that I'm pretty sure consumption of alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be depicted during the hours that Tenchi Muyo! showed on Toonami. That is, it's not that they (as in Toonami) didn't WANT to, but that they COULDN'T legally do so. I definitely remember 4Kids struggling on this front a few times too, and they created several workarounds depending on the context, such as calling it "strong stuff" or "spritzers." Obviously, this law had not always been around (nor the similar ban on smoking), but I definitely remember seeing a complete disappearance of drinking alcohol in programming expected to have a lot of children watching. They had a grandfather exception so stuff like Looney Tunes could get away with it, but that eventually was gone too.

Oh, I agree completely regarding the reasoning behind it. My point was that regardless of the motivation the resulting inaccuracy in translation sticks out like a sore thumb. You can call it "tea", but anyone (other than a naive child, perhaps) can clearly see that they are drinking alcohol. I was just using it as an example of situations where there is an obvious disconnect between the translation and the art. You're right that they might have been forced to do that for legal reasons, or perhaps chose to do it in order to avoid offending parents, but the point remains that the change or inaccuracy is obviously present.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Oh, I agree completely regarding the reasoning behind it. My point was that regardless of the motivation the resulting inaccuracy in translation sticks out like a sore thumb. You can call it "tea", but anyone (other than a naive child, perhaps) can clearly see that they are drinking alcohol. I was just using it as an example of situations where there is an obvious disconnect between the translation and the art. You're right that they might have been forced to do that for legal reasons, or perhaps chose to do it in order to avoid offending parents, but the point remains that the change or inaccuracy is obviously present.

I see. I agree with you, by the way, that this sort of thing really stands out. (TV Tropes calls it "Frothy Mugs of Water" when they graphically edit it blue, which happens oddly often.) I also believe that most kids are responsible and smart enough to recognize alcohol being consumed on television and not imitate it, at least in so far that the narrative's not trying to persuade them to do so. (And I'd say incidents are more due to bad parenting, which, sadly, there is a lot of.)

That being said, the fact that they kept in all the drunken behavior and such indicates to me that the people being such programming are well aware their audiences will know exactly what's going on. (And this includes 4Kids.) They may even be trying to make it stand out on purpose to call attention to this rule, which the TV show staff tend to really not like. I do remember the ReBoot writers tended to call out annoying decisions at S&P and others at the executive level through veiled messages within the show, for instance.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't know how the Japanese versions of the games look like as far as their currency goes, but the versions I play have a "P" denoted instead of a "Y." As the name of the currency has never been mentioned once, most western fans call them "Pokédollars."

In the original Japanese version, the games just use yen (円)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4