• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Twitter Reacts to My Sister, My Writer TV Series' Deteriorating Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

Thirty years later, I sometimes feel the same way about how much of media consumption toady is, especially with anime. We as fans have become so much more critical in the past decade of every last little detail, that we often forget to sit back and enjoy the story. It use to be only the most die hard crazed otaku on the chans would go on these rants about a frame being off or the coloring, but now it feels like the entire community global as a whole nit-picks every minute detail.

As a fan of anime for almost 25 years I couldn't agree more. Over the past handful of years I have made it a conceited effort on my part to not engage in current as they air discussions for most anime I watch. I don't want to hear the constant complaints about minute details. I don't want to hear people complaining incessantly just to hear themselves do it. Yes some criticism is justified in a lot of cases, but so many people just take it too far. They carry on beyond what is needed in some effort to hammer that show into the ground and make it admit it's failings it feels like. I simply can't personally fathom how anyone doing that actually enjoys the shows they are watching. I often feel it's almost as if many fans watch as much as they can as some sort of litmus test to get their "true anime fan" badge in the mail or something. It's like the notion of just cracking open a beer, or a ramune, sitting back and just enjoying yourself has gotten lost in translation somewhere.

As you said this is a glaring case of a noticeable drop in animation. However, it is just the streams. Who knows what the BR's will look like and if they'll fix it or not.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:05 am Reply with quote
I see some people trying to be lenient, but this is episode 2. This would be bad at episode 4 or 5, but 2 is almost unheard of for this kind of slippage. I'm not watching this show and don't really care about it, but I can't help but think this is a stark representation of the industry, with its overloaded production schedules and resources stretched to the breaking point. We've always known this was a problem, but this is acts as a reminder.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:56 am Reply with quote
Shows like these depends on that anime quality (for cuteness, etc.) intensely. They'd be brave trying to cut corners on that...
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
Looks like this is a case of Sailor Moon Crystal Seasons 1-2 all over again...and that not only had its animation outsourced, it had the same issue at the same number of episodes too, episode 1 was mostly fine looking, albeit nothing great, and then episode 2, it all went downhill from there, with the infamous "Ami with her misaligned eyes" thingy and to where almost every shot was poorly done/terrible looking...and most of the "fixes" for the Blu-Rays they had (which they had to do numerous fixes) looked even worse than the broadcast version.

Basically what stardf29 said.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
stardf29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
Okay, as someone who is all about not nitpicking stuff and just sitting back and enjoying the show, even I cannot excuse this particular instance. The thing is, these aren't just nitpicks; they're cross-sections of a major problem of animation quality that affects the entire episode. And it's bad enough that it actively works against my trying to enjoy the show. Granted, I've only seen clips of the episode rather than the entire episode, but it's hard to even get through those clips. What really hurts is that the facial expressions don't match at all with the supposed emotions of scenes. They're flat and uninformative, and when combined with the off-model-ness of the art, it makes scenes outright unwatchable.

All I ask for is that the animation is functional enough to let me enjoy the show. I can even tolerate a little off-model here and there. But when it's so prevalent and so distracting that it keeps me from enjoying the show, of course I'll complain. There's a difference between nitpicking the minor faults of a restaurant meal and complaining to the chef because the food is outright rotten. And I don't care for the whole "it'll get fixed on the Blu-ray" argument either because that should only apply for occasional off-model moments and general light clean-up, not something as outright disastrous as this.

And that's not even going into what all these animation issues might be symptomatic of as far as bigger problems in the production process...
HK16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Obligatory wait for the BD's. But will this even be fixed in the BD's? That is the question.

These sorts of things will continue to happen. These animators work hard so we can't be hard on them.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
stardf29 wrote:
And I don't care for the whole "it'll get fixed on the Blu-ray" argument either because that should only apply for occasional off-model moments and general light clean-up, not something as outright disastrous as this.

And that's not even going into what all these animation issues might be symptomatic of as far as bigger problems in the production process...

Every anime has animation problems as they air, some a lot more glaring than this, but every single one gets fixed or revised in different ways for blu-ray. Every single one.

This issue with the production process has been going on for decades. So it would be better to wait for the blurays to make the final judgement.
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Every anime has animation problems as they air, some a lot more glaring than this, but every single one gets fixed or revised in different ways for blu-ray. Every single one.

This issue with the production process has been going on for decades. So it would be better to wait for the blurays to make the final judgement.

If the problems were just at the level of what "every anime" has as they air, I'd be fine with it. But this isn't your average quality drop; this is an outright trainwreck.

Besides, many people, including myself, mainly watch anime through what gets shown in its initial airing. We don't "wait for the blu-rays" because we might never watch the blu-rays in the first place. And besides, this anime is a professional product. In no professional circle would it be acceptable to make a very low-quality product and release it into the world, saying that "everything will be fixed in a future release!". Fixing stuff for blu-rays should be making a good product better, or at worst, making an acceptable product good. It's not for making an unacceptable product acceptable.

(And yes, I know that in other places like the video game industry, crap gets put out with the promise that it'll be fixed later. And I have just as much of a problem with it there as I do here.)
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:27 am Reply with quote
stardf29 wrote:
configspace wrote:

If the problems were just at the level of what "every anime" has as they air, I'd be fine with it. But this isn't your average quality drop; this is an outright trainwreck.

Besides, many people, including myself, mainly watch anime through what gets shown in its initial airing. We don't "wait for the blu-rays" because we might never watch the blu-rays in the first place. And besides, this anime is a professional product. In no professional circle would it be acceptable to make a very low-quality product and release it into the world, saying that "everything will be fixed in a future release!". Fixing stuff for blu-rays should be making a good product better, or at worst, making an acceptable product good. It's not for making an unacceptable product acceptable.

(And yes, I know that in other places like the video game industry, crap gets put out with the promise that it'll be fixed later. And I have just as much of a problem with it there as I do here.)

I'm telling you, this is *standard* for the course. All anime have animation problems in their broadcast/streaming airing and this is comparably not bad at all. The broadcast version of Attack on Titan S1 was worse. You need to watch more anime and compare with blurays to see what a real trainwreck is. Examples of not just bad animation, but literally having no time to animate properly and just throwing in filler:
Mekakucity Actors
https://imgur.com/a/BR6zH
- remember this is by SHAFT, a big famous studio, and it turns out they often make these type of fixes

[Blu-ray vs TV version] Wizard Barristers - Episodio 11 Diferencias (see from 1:30 onward)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCNIqq-BaS0

Given the crushed production schedules, the outsourcing and coordination issues, all anime should be considered a "beta" product on its airing and the blurays to be the final product.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2