• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Karakuri Circus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Shirogane is basically a female Sakamoto. Laughing But i enjoyed watching her effortlessly winning everyone over as well as witnessing her goofy side supporting Masaru from the sidelines.

While i didn't expect Narumi to be dead for good, he sure wasn't dead for very long...but i'm also curious about how he was saved (and by whom), so i don't mind that much.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Shirogane is basically a female Sakamoto. Laughing But i enjoyed watching her effortlessly winning everyone over as well as witnessing her goofy side supporting Masaru from the sidelines.

While i didn't expect Narumi to be dead for good, he sure wasn't dead for very long...but i'm also curious about how he was saved (and by whom), so i don't mind that much.

I'm now curious as to How the F&*% that arm got detached so cleanly? and did they keep it?
Ruddor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
Wow, we are just barreling through this material, cutting stuff left and right. Seriously this episode alone skipped over a ton of stuff. You know the animal tamer that is introduced at the end of the episode in a single sentence? Well, in the manga there is a pretty lengthy arc where they recruit her for the circus while fighting a ferocious tiger with the help of an old lion with a poisonous needle on its tail.

Man, they need to hurry up and license the manga.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Man, you know a show is doing something right when phrases like "circus puppet/clown family unit" are being used unironically and without the slightest hint of derision.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Between this show, Hinomaru Sumo, and the new season of Index, why are so many anime series rushing through their adaptations nowadays?
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Ruddor wrote:
Wow, we are just barreling through this material, cutting stuff left and right. Seriously this episode alone skipped over a ton of stuff. You know the animal tamer that is introduced at the end of the episode in a single sentence? Well, in the manga there is a pretty lengthy arc where they recruit her for the circus while fighting a ferocious tiger with the help of an old lion with a poisonous needle on its tail.

Man, they need to hurry up and license the manga.
I was expecting it. There were obviously going to be a bunch of cuts due to how much material they're trying to adapt in a limited time, and I figured a lot of the circus antics with Masaru would be the first thing on the chopping block
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:14 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that the Manga has a number of stand alone stories involving him at school, which we are going to skip over. I know something similar happen in Ushio & Tora with the first arc.
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Between this show, Hinomaru Sumo, and the new season of Index, why are so many anime series rushing through their adaptations nowadays?
Well this is a case of adapting a finished work. For the other one that is still running, it could be that they want it to reach a certain part of the story to end off within their episode count, like an end of an arc. So they cut out content to reach that point.

Personally I prefer this, at least for still running Manga, over stretching out a story for hundreds of episodes with pointless filler arcs, recap episodes like they used to, and in some cases still do.Some of them can be good, but mostly it seems like a waste of time.
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
There's a scene in Hard Boiled where firemen are trying to protect babies in a high-rise hospital nursery. Newborns. Because the entire building is on fire, but these other morons are having an intense fire-fight with automatic weapons on the same floor and bullets are flying through the nursery. These brave firemen grab these newborns in their arms and leap to their deaths from like, the seventh floor, while holding them in some attempt to save as many as they can from the fire and the bullets. It's one of the most emotionally powerful scenes I've ever seen. So I know child endangerment pr0n when I see it. That's what this show is. Put an innocent child (or innocent childlike adult) in danger. Then put a hero there that will NOT THINK TWICE about giving up their life to do what's right.

And I'm totally ok with that. They are doing it amazing. This show turns your eyes into fountains. And again, I'm totally ok with that. It's masterful storytelling.

Just, they are going to keep doing that to you. So be ok with that.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm guessing that the Manga has a number of stand alone stories involving him at school

There was only 1 short arc at school which was half adapted.

I also considered it was for the best, 36 episodes was already far from being enough to adapt a manga which has almost only long arc, adapting every single low-key scenes would not have been beneficial.
Until last week they only skipped some low-key scenes and 1 arc made to introduce some secondary characters, in this week's episode they totally skipped 2 majors arc. Among the mess they gave multiple really important informations in a casually and uninterested way that make me wonder if most peoples who don't read the manga will even notice and remember them . This time, i fear that they pushed the skip button a bit too strongly.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Sadly you can even add 5 others ongoing shows, though i can't give you any concret reason, i've hearsay some like budget, production issues and understaffed but it's far from being new.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with James about the animation quality. Episode 6 in particular had some pretty impressive cuts with Narumi showing off his martial arts prowess.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
So a Japanese man with a missing arm is brought to a special medical facility for treating children with an incurable disease in America, by a silver haired Frenchman, fitted with a prosthetic arm, given the power to regenerate, and now must defend them against a travailing circus of killer puppets. God I love Anime.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
That show may be a lot of things, but subtle it is not...i don't think i'll ever be a fan of its certain type of drama, but as long as it keeps to be this entertaining, i'm in.

So, if Narumi becomes a shirogane, will he also turn into a white-haired biseinen? Cool
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So a Japanese man with a missing arm is brought to a special medical facility for treating children with an incurable disease in America, by a silver haired Frenchman, fitted with a prosthetic arm, given the power to regenerate, and now must defend them against a travailing circus of killer puppets. God I love Anime.

Even better, next season we'll have 3 shows that copy this formula, but in another world, with a smartphone, and cooking zombies.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
Even better, next season we'll have 3 shows that copy this formula, but in another world, with a smartphone, and cooking zombies.
That sounds good, what titles are these?

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Until now, the manga chapters adapted are 1-30, 39, 98-102, 106-115.
The skipped stuff are:
-The attack of two puppet masters, Narita and Taira, at the school (chapters 31 to 38)
-The tiger attack and the introduction of Liselotte (chapters 40 to 49)
-The backstory of Hiro and Nori (chapters 50 to 53)
-Various circus perfomances (chapters 54 to 62)
-Narumi in France, with the introduction of Guy and Lucille (chapters 63 to 74)
-The origin of the automats (chapters 75 to 84)
-The princess Elise arc (chapters 85 to 96)

Next episode seems to be adapting from chapter 125 to 131.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6