• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 9,

Question, I know Touma's hand negates any supernatural phenomena, but other than that his arm is normal. So how did he catch a giant metal lance (which probably weighs a couple hundred pounds if it's as solid as it looks) plus the weight of a full grown man flying at high speeds with one hand? You'd think he would have stopped whatever spell Aqua was using but would have immediately had his arm crushed from the physical force. He was getting smacked around by the lance in previous episodes with no ability to stop it.

I didn't get the image of him literally catching it like that where Acqua is suspended in the air from the LN. Forget the force from stopping Acqua, Touma shouldn't even be able to support the natural weight of Acqua and the lance.

As for the momentum, technically IB has always been able to do that, and I don't think it ever really made sense. Remember in the very first episode, he blocks Mikoto's railgun. The coin had already been accelerated so dispelling magic shouldn't really have stopped the coin in its tracks.

Apparently they cut a bit from Mikoto's scene which I didn't expect. Also, they spend all that time teasing the fallen angel ero maid outfit and we don't actually get to see her in it... That scene where Acqua was spinning Kanzaki around looked ridiculous. I thought the magic effects looked decent, but I didn't get the feeling this was a super sonic fight when they traded blows.
Zof

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote

A Very Imagey Breaker Season II

Man, this past episode of Image Breaker was great but they had that lame Index character at the end for some pointless comic relief. They should just cut that useless character.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, we get it, you'd rather be watching Railgun. Laughing
Zof

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Well, yeah. But I mean I'd think that's true about anyone. Better story. Better characters. Better plots. Yeah. Much rather be watching a new season of Railgun.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:

Well, yeah. But I mean I'd think that's true about anyone. Better story. Better characters. Better plots. Yeah. Much rather be watching a new season of Railgun.

It's the same story, same characters, same plot. It's the same universe. Your assertion is woefully inaccurate on all three points. Furthermore, Index moves the plot along, Railgun (thus far) doesn't. I would always rather be watching/reading Index.

But putting that curious trolling aside, I'd like to say that I loved episode nine. The action isn't quite as exciting as I'd like, but it was still good. Touma catching Acqua of the Back on his mace is embellishment for sure, but I can accept it. Very happy they left in the scene between Tsuchimikado and Kanzaki, as this is also a comedy series at heart.

Really liked the scene with Touma and Mikoto, as this is a pretty important development for the both of them. I feel a little sorry for those wanting a bit more involvement out of Misaka, but you can be sure that it'll come.

Loved all the foreshadowing and setup for the things to come. I feel like they gave a little bit too much away with Fiamma of the Right, but I don't think it's too big a deal. Very pleased they left in the final scene with Aleister.

Still a pleased To Aru fan here. Smile
Zof

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Zof wrote:

It's the same story, same characters, same plot. It's the same universe. Your assertion is woefully inaccurate on all three points. Furthermore, Index moves the plot along, Railgun (thus far) doesn't. I would always rather be watching/reading Index.

But putting that curious trolling aside, I'd like to say that I loved episode nine. The action isn't quite as exciting as I'd like, but it was still good. Touma catching Acqua of the Back on his mace is embellishment for sure, but I can accept it. Very happy they left in the scene between Tsuchimikado and Kanzaki, as this is also a comedy series at heart.

Really liked the scene with Touma and Mikoto, as this is a pretty important development for the both of them. I feel a little sorry for those wanting a bit more involvement out of Misaka, but you can be sure that it'll come.

Loved all the foreshadowing and setup for the things to come. I feel like they gave a little bit too much away with Fiamma of the Right, but I don't think it's too big a deal. Very pleased they left in the final scene with Aleister.

Still a pleased To Aru fan here. Smile

Yes, I can see how Index moves the plot along by constituting an actually measured two minutes, 52 seconds of screen time so far, total this season.

Yes, that's actually it. All the time she has been on the screen.

Christ, it's like you have no point at all. I'd be embarassed.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
^
Actually, I think you are both missing each other's points.

Yes, the series Index is the main plot driver for the franchise, but I more consistently find the Railgun series more entertaining and involving. Basically, one series is plot-focused and the other is character-focused, and the latter is doing a better job.

And yes, Index the character has been woefully underused so far for being the titular character. (Honestly, though, I'm not sure what the serious actually could do with her.) Thankfully it looks like she'll actually be part of the next arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And yes, Index the character has been woefully underused so far for being the titular character. (Honestly, though, I'm not sure what the serious actually could do with her.)

The author has stated at multiple points that if he knew the series was going to go on for more than a couple of books, he would have named the franchise after a different character. It's not really a problem with Index in particular, though, as it's hard to drive the plot when the author is constantly introducing new haremettes with problems for the protagonists to solve, and it gets even worse from this point out now that there are three male protagonists. Apart from a few exceptional fan-favorites, Mikoto, the Named Clones, and the ITEM girls are pretty much the only heroines who don't seem to fade into the background after more than a couple of adventures.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:

I liked that scene as well. I do find it odd that she wouldn't want to know the point at which Touma lost his memory, but that is a minor omission plus given the situation there isn't any real reason she had to ask right then. I liked how they showed her realization at the end of the scene without having to state it. My only real gripe is that Touma was suppose to be half dead not limping a little bit.

I'm not sure what you mean about that coming unless you're talking spoiler[New Testament. All Mikoto is going to get this season is cameo level scenes. You have to wait until NT before she starts doing crazy stuff like going toe to toe with a saint and directly fighting alongside Touma.]

What did they give away about Fiamma? That scene was pretty much how I remembered it in the LN.

As far as Index vs Railgun, I prefer Index in general due to the LNs. Index anime are always a rushed mess though with maybe an exception for season 1. I'll happily take the Railgun anime with a bit of extra slice of life padding. I don't think the Railgun story or general main cast are stronger than the Index main cast (yes there is overlap), but Railgun seems better set up to animate from the start.

Episode 9 Review wrote:
I'm a little fuzzy on why he actually wanted to stop Fiamma of the Right, though.

I'm pretty sure that he just doesn't want to start a war with another faction on the magic side. Crushing the UK would just reduce the magic sides power even ignoring the damage the Catholics take in the process. GRS kind of forced him into going along with their attack on Academy City (which on paper was about Touma, but they did attack Academy City), but they were kind of in a cold war already.
Stiles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah definitely. Misaka's scene was appropriately subtle and I daresay a little heartbreaking. She knows she's right, Touma didn't deny her, but she can't get herself to chase him.

And about Misaka, that is essentially what I'm thinking of. That and spoiler[WWIII. Should we really call that level of involvement just cameo?]

With Fiamma, spoiler[I don't think the Pope was supposed to witness the Third Arm fully manifested, was he? I just thought that was a tiny bit too much to give away right now. Might just be remembering it wrong.]

I generally agree with you about Index vs. Railgun. I think the novels are stronger and I see that reflected in the anime, pacing issues notwithstanding. If Index is rushed then I think Railgun is too drawn out with filler.

Let's complain about Touma knocking out everybody with a nearly unbeatable fist but overlook the fact that Misaka regularly deals with problems well beneath her own station. Maybe if the anime didn't spoil Shirai's character and if Uiharu and Saten were written to be more than just vehicles to move the plot along I'd think more highly of it.

I do wonder how long season three of Railgun will be. That'll be very interesting indeed.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
No real reason for it to be less than 24 episodes. Probably a 16~20 something arc either sprinkled with filler in the middle or a filler arc at the end.

Yeah the flashback to William was just... weirdly put. It doesn't make that much sense it'd show up just now, except for establishing characters we'll see in the future. The action was a little muddy and Touma apparently got more hurt from going out on a stroll than when he actually got beaten up given his bandage placement but I liked the episode.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
And about Misaka, that is essentially what I'm thinking of. That and spoiler[WWIII. Should we really call that level of involvement just cameo?]

I think you can. spoiler[I am pretty sure all of that takes place in the 'between the scenes' sections at the end of chapters except for her meeting Touma which while a big scene, was pretty brief. What else did she do? She flew over there and crushed some mooks (with a missile, but still just mooks). Watching her wipe out an entire base with a tsunami should be cool though. In NT at least we see her fighting high level magic side enemies, involved in the main plot, her illusion shattering punch (quite possibly my favorite scene in the entire series), and Touma finally asking her for help.
]

Stiles wrote:
With Fiamma, spoiler[I don't think the Pope was supposed to witness the Third Arm fully manifested, was he? I just thought that was a tiny bit too much to give away right now. Might just be remembering it wrong.]

I don't think there is an illustration of his 3rd hand at this point, but how it looks is described specifically. Also as far as it fully manifesting, in ep 9 he specifically mentions that the power he can wield "in this state" is peanuts which is a pretty blatant 'this isn't my final form' statement.

Stiles wrote:
Let's complain about Touma knocking out everybody with a nearly unbeatable fist but overlook the fact that Misaka regularly deals with problems well beneath her own station. Maybe if the anime didn't spoil Shirai's character and if Uiharu and Saten were written to be more than just vehicles to move the plot along I'd think more highly of it.

I do wonder how long season three of Railgun will be. That'll be very interesting indeed.

A good portion of Railgun is 'below her station', but arc 2 had 2 level 5s including Accel who is incredibly broken. The 3rd arc was pretty major as well. I don't think you're being entirely fair comparing this with Touma. The way his IB works, everyone with at least a reasonable build is fighting up, but lets be serious, a lot of the enemies we've seen before GRS arc began are mook level. Also, Railgun hasn't gone as far yet. If you look only at who Touma has fought against at that point in the timeline, Touma's resume isn't hugely impressive beyond Accelerator.

I'm assuming Railgun S3 will be 24 episodes again. Index got 24, and Railgun discs sell more. Probably 16 or so on the 3rd main arc. I'm also hoping they anime Liberal Arts City instead a new anime original arc to fill the rest. They did name drop Liberal Arts City during season 2.
Stiles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It was sarcasm. My point was that the writing is similar, and yet Misaka (Railgun) gets a pass even though she's basically the same as Kamijou (Index) in the situations they're presented with. Granted, it's early in the story so it's mostly small time fare anyway, I get that.

We pretty much know that Accelerator will be one cour only, so I'd be surprised if S3 Railgun was more than one cour. They could easily cover Liberal Arts City in four episodes and then spend the remaining nine on the Daihaseisai. But it's certainly true that they're likely to want to run an extra cour for fan service and filler, since that's what'll move discs, I just don't know if they have the budget for it after 26 episodes of Index and another 12-13 for Accelerator. Unless S3 Railgun is its own project and not part of the 2018 To Aru project, as Miki himself insinuated.

So in that case, I don't know, six for LAC, twelve for the Daihaseisai, and the remainder for awful anime original filler or other such nonsense. Maybe a flashback to the Shopping Mall Demonstration since NL will be introduced soon anyway. Or maybe they'll shorten the Daihaseisai so they can cover the Dream Ranker arc.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
It was sarcasm. My point was that the writing is similar, and yet Misaka (Railgun) gets a pass even though she's basically the same as Kamijou (Index) in the situations they're presented with. Granted, it's early in the story so it's mostly small time fare anyway, I get that.

This is an easy one. Mikoto gets a pass because she's a better-developed and more likable character, especially when Touma isn't around to force her into Tsundere Mode. All Touma does is lament his bad luck, be self-righteous, and play out a hero complex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stiles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I just can't agree with that at all. I don't think Kamijou forces Mikoto to react in any way that's out of character for her, thus her reaction to him is entirely her responsibility. It's a flaw that she has to try to grow out of, like Kamijou's aforementioned flaws.

Their interaction in episode nine was probably one of the best they've ever had together, for both of them. He didn't curse his luck, he didn't claim any moral high ground and he didn't deny Mikoto's feelings or opinions. He could've asked for help and she could've chased him down and either forced him back to the hospital or joined the conflict against Acqua of the Back.

Honestly, I think they're both about the same. It's just that (at this point) Kamachi hasn't used Mikoto enough and the bulk of Kamijou's character development is down the line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 16