• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
Not to be rude or anything but his name is Hamazura not Hanazawa, which was correct in the last episode review.

Should be fixed now.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe this is all supposed to make sense to novel readers, but this mostly-anime-only fan was left scratching his head at many points.

I'm a novel reader but my memory's bad enough that I remembered like three plot points about this arc (and only one of them showed up for now). The stuff below is what I could gather from the episode alone.

Quote:
though I don't recall any implication that Accelerator's task was going to involve Takitsubo

He was just after the terrorists, and they were at the same building, is all. They were at the same building because

Quote:
Stephanie Gorgeouspalace pops up to battle Kinuhita, leaving viewers to wonder how she so nimbly tracked her down

She was the one who sent Spark Signal there, and waited for Kinuhata to show up to then murder her. She mentions it in passing during the episode.

Now about the whole "board member is suddenly important and everyone knows him" got me too.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The most frustrating aspect of Index III is its maddening tendency to throw out a plethora of content without providing the connective tissue necessary to bring it together in a sensible fashion.

Right on the money, Theron. By itself, episode 16 getting a C is definitely a fair rating. I caught myself thinking this episode might be better if watched with the next one, so I'm greatly looking forward to your next review.

And I don't mean to nitpick, but it's Kinuhata, not Kinuhita. Razz
#DMaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I do not need to repeat the fact that this anime adaptation is rushed. I mean they are adapting 9 novels in 26 episodes. But unlike other works, the LN has a lot of action, comedy and mystery which can't be done justice in just 3 episodes. It is like adapting a Harry Potter book in a bit more than an hour. Fortunately, volume 17 was so unevenful that it could be done in 2 episodes which I feel is also a bit unfair because Railgun S had more than one cour to re adapt the Sisters Arc. Now I am afraid of the next episode, they have to resolve Accelerator, Etzali, Kinuhata and Hamazura's fights, reveal the secret of DRAGON and if possible, set up the next arc.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Now about the whole "board member is suddenly important and everyone knows him" got me too.

He was brought up before, at least in the LN. I'm not sure how much he was name dropped in the anime before this arc.

Anyway, this definitely feels rushed. I think this arc is a bit better off than the last science side arc, but it feels like they needed at least 1 more episode than they allotted. I hope that all these crazy rushed arcs result in enough time for a decent adaptation of the big finale arc.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I like this show, but they're starting to lose me with stuff like this. It was one thing when it was only Touma bouncing from quest to quest, but now we get wholesale character changes, like we're supposed to keep a Charlie Day conspiracy board to keep up with them.

And how could we forget, "You thought I was the old lady? But it was me, The Chameleon!" "Guards get him! Oh no, I've been betrayed by... two people who the audience has maybe never seen before."
#DMaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I like this show, but they're starting to lose me with stuff like this. It was one thing when it was only Touma bouncing from quest to quest, but now we get wholesale character changes, like we're supposed to keep a Charlie Day conspiracy board to keep up with them.

And how could we forget, "You thought I was the old lady? But it was me, The Chameleon!" "Guards get him! Oh no, I've been betrayed by... two people who the audience has maybe never seen before."
Arrow

Well, this franchise is loved by its many random character interactions, specially when science and magic characters cross paths. About Etzali, yes it is the weakest part, but at least it ends his conection with the Aztecs.

Also, the story is about to turn "three Heroes" mode, so expect a lot more of random encounters.[/spoiler]

Only 10 episodes to save the season. They will not let it end in tragedy (A certain magical index LN 19)
ebv2406

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't deal with this anime anymore, I love the Index series but this is too much

I think my breaking point was the fight between Acqua and the Knight Leader, when they started using the exact same voice acting recording and animations for the attacks over and over and oooover.

After that I managed to stay for a few more episodes but 16 finally defeated me.

spoiler[
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxxFWQeUYAIQXML.jpg

He has a gun -> She has a snap-off blade... for office use
Her arm is fully extended to the point where she can't reach any further -> He has a GUN TO HER HEAD

And we are to believe that she won, he's terrified by the tiny, office use, snap-off blade

At the very least they could give her a gun to make it into a mexican stand-off

That's just the laziest kind of directing you can get

It's such a small thing compared with the trainwreck that is Index 3, but it all piled up Sad
]

mod edit: spoiler tag doesn't work for pictures. converted to link
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
The title for the next episode is also suitably ominous: “World War 3.”

The title for the next episode is "The Alliance of Independent Nations."

"World War 3" was just a phrase that got mentioned in the preview narration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stiles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Loved episode 17! Easily one of the best of the season for me. Wish they had just a little more time for it, because you can still see that too-quick pace moving things along faster than they should.

What I love about this one is how big picture it is, with the reveals and the subtle foreshadowing of things to come. Between the reveal of Aiwass, the cryptic but still very interesting exchange between the Measure Heart girl and Kinuhata, Crowley's name being dropped about a dozen times, and the confirmed survival of both the second and fourth ranked level 5's, there's simply no shortage of intrigue.

I know it wasn't perfect and reactions will vary, but I don't know how any Index fan can't be floored by this one. I can only hope they have enough time to really flesh out the final arc, as they seem to be skipping the opening and ending more and more often.

And yeah, just where is that Biribiri girl? Hmmmmm . . .
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:24 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well I enjoyed this episode, but a lot of the conversation with Aiwass was cut out including the parts about Aeons. I guess it is based on historical Crowley's religious beliefs which someone can delve into on their own. Accel toying with the ninja was pretty amusing to watch.

However, one big gripe I have is that they still don't seem to have any idea what to do with Accel's wings which bothers me because he shouldn't just be getting into power struggles... his power isn't to fire out a black beam.

Ep. 17 Review wrote:
Even without that, we have Touma and Index, Accelerator and Last Order, and Hamazura and Takitsubo all converging in Russia with Fiamma of the Right, which definitely sounds like a party waiting to happen.

Index is still in England.

Stiles wrote:
the confirmed survival of both the second and fourth ranked level 5's, there's simply no shortage of intrigue.

I don't know why anyone would assume Kakine wasn't just fine. He got sunk into concrete... it isn't like he had his head exploded.
#DMaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Before anything, I waited 5 year to see that kiss, none can't deny me the satisfaction of finally seen a hero in this franhise getting what he deserves. Praise to Hamazura for acomplishing what the other heroes coudn't. Also, the problem with him and Aleister's plan is that he is such an Irregularity (level 0 and no special traits) that it is better to eliminate him and risk unpredictable events, becaise he was meant to die on yhe battle royal according to Aleister's calculations.

About the episode, yes, it went too fast. But I really liked the coclusions to the fights. Kinuhata's final super punch, Etzali's magic and Accelerator's strategy were pleasant to see. Also, I will never get bored of hearing Mugino saying"Ha-ma-zu-raaa". And, yes, she did helpt him taking off.

Current status of the series:
Touma is walking to Russia. Index's mind is under the control of Fiamma and her body is sitll in England. Accelerator and Last Order are on a train to Russia and her condition is deteriorating. Hamazura and Takitsubo are flying to Russia and her condition is also not good. Academy city will enter a War with Russia but is also interested in some of our heroes.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
^
Did I miss something in this or a previous episode, then? I don't recall any specific indication in the anime content that Index wasn't going to Russia, too. And while Aiwass did talk about dire consequences for Last Order, I don't recall anything being said about her condition currently actively deteriorating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Did I miss something in this or a previous episode, then? I don't recall any specific indication in the anime content that Index wasn't going to Russia, too.

Unless Touma's bringing her on a trolley it doesn't seem likely since she was last shown unconscious in England with the implication that she's gonna stay that way.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Did I miss something in this or a previous episode, then? I don't recall any specific indication in the anime content that Index wasn't going to Russia, too. And while Aiwass did talk about dire consequences for Last Order, I don't recall anything being said about her condition currently actively deteriorating.

At the end of British Halloween, Touma told Styl to take care of Index and that he would go chase Fiamma to Russia to get the controller back.

I don't think it was specifically stated about LO in the anime, but he did leave the bloody message at the apartment that he would save her. It was alluded to when Accel had an 'oh shit' moment realizing that Aiwass saying he was kind of similar to Fuze Kazakiri meant he was sustaining his existence with the network like Fuze (actually Accel had a gut feeling based on the name before this in an earlier episode). I think the implication for the viewer (and Accel) was that if he was existing through the network like Fuze then this will put enormous strain on LO like Fuze.

Aiwass does sort of explain this in the episode's epilogue, but half of him talking was to Crowley and half to Accel so it was kind of confusing. Aiwass says the girl will die (while Accel and LO are on screen together) and that Accel should go to Russia giving him Index's full name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 16