• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#DMaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Did I miss something in this or a previous episode, then? I don't recall any specific indication in the anime content that Index wasn't going to Russia, too. And while Aiwass did talk about dire consequences for Last Order, I don't recall anything being said about her condition currently actively deteriorating.

I just rewatched the episode. Aiwass said that "that little girl which is a keystone in Aleister's plan will desintegrate sooner or later" and then said something like "the way things are right now that girl will surely perish, go to Russia..."

By the way, Styl stayed protecting the body of Index in England.

And this becomes the story of three boys heading to Russia each with a similar goal: "to protect the smile of a certain girl, they will not let it end in tragedy".
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I like this show, but they're starting to lose me with stuff like this. It was one thing when it was only Touma bouncing from quest to quest, but now we get wholesale character changes, like we're supposed to keep a Charlie Day conspiracy board to keep up with them.

And how could we forget, "You thought I was the old lady? But it was me, The Chameleon!" "Guards get him! Oh no, I've been betrayed by... two people who the audience has maybe never seen before."

You either stop watching entirely or just turn off your mind. This is the result of multiple overly complex plots all coming to a head at the same time and it relies on the readers/viewers to have seen all the content leading up to it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Key wrote:
Are those familiar with the novels estimating that both spoiler[October 9th and World War III] will be covered?

Amazon Japan lists the series with 26 episodes. Based on the current pacing and the scenes that are included in this coeur's OP, we're getting 3 more episodes for the current arc, 3 episodes for Volume 16, and then 3 for Volume 17, which would end the coeur halfway through the spoiler[British Royal Family] Arc.

Next coeur, they could spend 3 episodes wrapping up that arc, 4 episodes on spoiler[DRAGON] Arc, and then the final 6 on spoiler[World War III]. At that point, everything except for the second side-story volume will have been covered except for the second Side Story volume (which, although more than a little goofy, honestly wouldn't make for a bad OVA), bringing us to the end of Toaru Majutsu no Index and the beginning of Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index.

I highly doubt they will do shinyaku toaru majustu no index!!! there have been so signs it will be adapted into an anime at all so its more likely the entire anime series will end with the WWIII arc.

I fear it will get the negima treatment and be released as an OVA!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
I highly doubt they will do shinyaku toaru majustu no index!!! there have been so signs it will be adapted into an anime at all so its more likely the entire anime series will end with the WWIII arc.

It would be really stupid of them to try to include Index NT content. They're already rushed for time. The original series ends on a pretty high note. NT aside from maybe the first book which is somewhat stand alone goes straight into setting up Gremlin.
#DMaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I like this show, but they're starting to lose me with stuff like this. It was one thing when it was only Touma bouncing from quest to quest, but now we get wholesale character changes, like we're supposed to keep a Charlie Day conspiracy board to keep up with them.

And how could we forget, "You thought I was the old lady? But it was me, The Chameleon!" "Guards get him! Oh no, I've been betrayed by... two people who the audience has maybe never seen before."

You either stop watching entirely or just turn off your mind. This is the result of multiple overly complex plots all coming to a head at the same time and it relies on the readers/viewers to have seen all the content leading up to it.

That reminded me of A certain superhero movie franchise which everyone loves Anime hyper.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meanwhile, Hanazawa is still trying to get by with Takitsubo.

The 3rd main character is Hamazura.

Quote:
Seeing a Mikoto in full-on rage mode, complete with using nails instead of coins for her signature railgun shot, presents a psychological challenge for Accelerator that I felt was handled pretty well.

We did see the original go rage mode on him in Railgun though. Regardless, I thought it was an interesting idea. How do you kill someone who is so powerful that he can crush anyone you send after him? Send someone he won't want to kill. On the nails, I was a little surprised they put the railgun trail on them. Whoever is doing season 3 clearly has a thing for beams though so I probably shouldn't have been.

On the Russia and Academy City front, I'm a little sad they didn't show off some of AC's cool toys. Maybe they'll show some off later.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and Russia suddenly being dragged into the picture as an aggressor gives the impression of skipped background information

I think Fianma mentioned it to Carissa back at the end of that arc?

Quote:
She doesn't actually do much effective in either of these episodes (although summoning one of the boats was a neat trick)

That wasn't her

Quote:
The other development of note in these two episodes is the implementation of a solid new closer that emphasizes what's happening in Russia

What, the closer's been there since the DRAGON arc. We got a new opener, though.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought episode 20 was pretty well done. Accel's wings looked so much better. They did cut out essentially all of the narration for the big fight. I think that made it much easier to focus on them fighting and preserve the tension where as the explanations during the Acqua fight kind of ruined it. I'm wondering how Theron and others who aren't familiar with the source will feel about the results. I'm also wondering if they're planning explaining how Touma kept up at a later point instead or if they're going to not mention it because that was a pretty big deal.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
^ I'm almost glad they didn't keep Accel's thoughts throughout the fight because it would totally cause a shitstorm if they mentioned the spoiler[precog]

I do wish the fight was more on Accelerator's POV like it was in the novel though.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts on the last several weeks.

This show is starting to make me feel like I'm the one with amnesia.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I'm wondering how Theron and others who aren't familiar with the source will feel about the results. I'm also wondering if they're planning explaining how Touma kept up at a later point instead or if they're going to not mention it because that was a pretty big deal.

I'm just assuming at this point that Imagine Breaker allows Touma to not only negate powers but also ignore environmental effects of power uses. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm just assuming at this point that Imagine Breaker allows Touma to not only negate powers but also ignore environmental effects of power uses. Wink

Yeah... It doesn't seem consistent on what happens to things with mass that are moved by a super natural power after the power is negated. I think that is just iffy physics. What I was referring to was the partial explanation of how Touma spoiler[manages to get his hand in front of the things he negates in the first place]. Tagging that in case they are going to explain it next episode or something, but I only mentioned the topic and not what the explanation was.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:22 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I thought episode 20 was pretty well done. Accel's wings looked so much better. They did cut out essentially all of the narration for the big fight. I think that made it much easier to focus on them fighting and preserve the tension where as the explanations during the Acqua fight kind of ruined it. I'm wondering how Theron and others who aren't familiar with the source will feel about the results. I'm also wondering if they're planning explaining how Touma kept up at a later point instead or if they're going to not mention it because that was a pretty big deal.

im surprised that they haven't went into detail about that considering that both him and last order have those materials index mention in S2 that are the properties of an angel just like that girl from the angel fall arc whose been posessed by gabriel! telesma i think its called!

hell, from this info on the previous seasons alone including his fight with amata kihara have more than hinted that he have an angel inside of him as well! if i have to guess (and guessing or making theories isnt considered a spoiler FYI) its either lucifer or the angel of destruction abbadon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
micah007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
My thoughts on the last several weeks.

This show is starting to make me feel like I'm the one with amnesia.

That's a fair reaction Anime hyper
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but where did this Maiden of Versailles come from? To my recollection, her existence as a French powerhouse hasn't even been hinted at in the anime before.

I'd have to rewatch the British Halloween arc to check, but I think they actually did. I think Carissa makes a reference to her as something like 'that woman in France who can't leave her castle.'

Quote:
His black wings, which I'm assuming are manifestations of his power on overdrive, must interfere with his sharp ability to be analytical in fights, as otherwise his continued attempts to directly attack an opponent that he knows can't be defeated with his powers makes no sense.

I think the first part is basically right, but I think the second part is just the anime having a hard time conveying the under the hood. Touma is actually not suppose to be able to instantly erase Accel's wings, and Touma's hand/wrist/arm gets hurt by the force from attacks he can't instantly negate. Given this, it isn't actually a bad plan for Accel to just pummel him while trying to keep his distance. Accel does send waves of terrain at Touma as well. How Accel was suppose to eat the punch of defeat was that Touma uses the fact that he can actually grab hold of the wings with Imagine Breaker to pull (I think it was a pull, been a while) Accel off balance.

The anime, as previously mentioned, cut out the partial explanation the novel gives for how Touma is able to do this in the first place. Accel actually was being analytical in his approach to the fight trying to overcome that. The anime just cut out all of the inner monologue which serves as narration for the fight.

Anyway, I think it far from a perfect adaptation of the original content, but I felt like I could at least sit back and enjoy the fight this time. When Index feels the need to constantly narrate explanations as events happen on screen, it removes all the fight's tension for me. I think it is kind of a lose/lose situation for the anime unfortunately. I liked how they solved what I felt to be a problem with earlier fights in season 3, but I'm sure there are both those upset with the fight not exactly following the source and those confused by the lack of information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 16