• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24

Mugino outta nowhere! Seriously wtf? Where did she come from? And I'm really getting tired of her. Could she just die already? Is she now supposed to be one of the good guys suddenly? Ugh.

And I'm guessing Takitsubo is still buried under some pile of snow somewhere?

Touma vs. Fiamma was kinda cool at least.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
Isn't "showing up out of nowhere" kinda Mugino's whole shtick, really? She's like that one really annoying kid from elementary school who thought you were his friend because you were occasionally nice to him in recess so he kept looking you up even though his family moved away to another city in fifth grade. For the rest of your life there he is when you least expect him, still annoying, still no clue...

I watched the episode expecting it to unravel into blather like every single episode this season has, simply because the writers have tried to bring too many threads onto the narrative, and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't. Still, what the heck is their reason for for bringing Railgun in? Reasons, plural, actually. There's a plot reason and a motive reason, the former is completely unknown to us so far and the latter, she thinks that he's useless without her around but the reality is that she's a complete tsundere, is just facepalm-inducing trite.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
ep 24 review wrote:
This episode accomplishes something that precious few episodes have managed before: it actually makes sense.

I was pretty impressed they pulled this off after last episode, but I am with you here.

Quote:
It's partly an ego trip on the level of becoming a god, and I'm assuming that allusion to him becoming the next Jesus was intended.

He is trying to become "the one above god." I think the anime cut out the majority of the references to the term, but in the novels "la persona superio a dio" (I'm sure I butchered that Latin spelling) was thrown around a lot from the time Fiamma first started showing up. The phrase in Latin was definitely said at some point in the anime, but I can't remember where.

Quote:
At the very least, this allows him to replace the right arm that Fiamma severs and claims for himself

We've actually seen him do this before way back in the second arc of season 1. Also, the guy who cut the arm off similarly crapped his pants.

Quote:
while Mikoto's sacking of an armored unit is entirely skipped over in favor of a short scene at the end where she talks one of the Sisters into piloting a VTOL to take them up to where the real action is happening. Not sure what that has to do with the whole nuclear weapon thing from last episode, but whatever.

I'm pretty sure they skipped over all of those parts including stopping the nukes. I'm kind of shocked given the random screen time they love to give her that they would skip one of her bigger contributions to the arc, but I guess in the scope of things it isn't super important. I would say that I'd have like to see her attacks there animated, but maybe this is for the best.

Fred Lougee wrote:
There's a plot reason and a motive reason, the former is completely unknown to us so far and the latter, she thinks that he's useless without her around but the reality is that she's a complete tsundere, is just facepalm-inducing trite.

I'm not sure where you got that feeling from. Touma is her knight in shining armor. She knows he isn't useless without her. She also knows that if he is out fighting, he is doing it to save someone like he saved her, and she doesn't want him to be forced to carry that weight on his own and wants to help. Now of course the viewer knows he actually has a huge amount of support this time.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok so i love index as a series maybe a bit more than the average fan but the fight with touma and Fiamma was just too silly for me to overlook.
I get that in a book this philosophical fight would have more impact... but like how did touma suddenly obtain the ability to jump like the hulk???
not sure what i mean? ok this is how far apart they are
and touma just freaking jumps at Fiamma he's knocked back and lands back on his little island. Then at some random times the distance just shrinks and looks like this
Now I don't mean to sound like I'm nitpicking but is there like someone's job(quality control?) to ya know look at the final result and 'ok' it or say 'alright we should make the distance consistent?'

Edit: i had planned on using gifs instead of still images until i realized I had no idea how to do it and trying to make one in adobe premiere pro was so overwhelming for such a small task. I don't even understand how a blurry 10 second clip without audio came out as 300mb Rolling Eyes
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
^
It almost feels like the staff and directors are continually asking themselves: how can I make this awesome scene from the novel look like absolute trash. Every single issue in this adaptation is self inflicted as if the staff look for excuses to not animate anything.

Everything about this anime from its pacing, animation, direction and sound design have been horrendous.

The tragedy is that it didn't need to be this way. The most recent light novels have been among the franchise's best material. It's not that they don't have issues; but those issues aren't the things dragging this adaptation down.

Shame on Nishikiori and JC Staff for the horrible mismanagement of this adaptation.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
touma suddenly obtain the ability to jump like the hulk???

I was already wondering wtf they were doing during the previous episode when they ended up on opposing pillars. They clearly didn't think this through which I think is the theme of Index 3. The 2 angels, 1 accelerator battle has the same issue... like really, they're going to fight with swords by running into each other? Nobody stood up to point out how this makes no sense?

On the bright side, a lot of the art actually looks pretty good in still shots.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Touma's been making Hulk jumps for a while this season through, with Acqua versus Carissa and versus Accelerator.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
^
It almost feels like the staff and directors are continually asking themselves: how can I make this awesome scene from the novel look like absolute trash. Every single issue in this adaptation is self inflicted as if the staff look for excuses to not animate anything.

Everything about this anime from its pacing, animation, direction and sound design have been horrendous.

The tragedy is that it didn't need to be this way. The most recent light novels have been among the franchise's best material. It's not that they don't have issues; but those issues aren't the things dragging this adaptation down.

Shame on Nishikiori and JC Staff for the horrible mismanagement of this adaptation.

uhhhhhhh.... you do know that their on a 26 ep limit right!?

i am not making excuses for them but if they had done what you did and completely adapted every single part of the light novel arcs for this season, the damn thing would be at least 50 eps ala SAO 3!

they are not studio pierot who is able to fiancially do eps over 25-50 and more ala one piece, boruto and black clover after all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
OH&S wrote:
^

i am not making excuses for them but if they had done what you did and completely adapted every single part of the light novel arcs for this season, the damn thing would be at least 50 eps ala SAO 3!

they are not studio pierot who is able to fiancially do eps over 25-50 and more ala one piece, boruto and black clover after all!

I agree but they're really just hurting themselves in the long run.
Months from now people aren't gonna remember how much of the story it adapted but the quality of the story it did adapt.
Like I do understand that there are technical issues but like why studios consider cramming or skipping info just to hit certain milestones just boggles me as a terrible practice.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

Being rushed to cover all the material was a problem, and yes that would have hampered the results no matter what. However, an equally large if not larger problem was how they did it. They could have done a better job picking and choosing what to adapt. They also could have done a better job making the good parts visually look good... but no we get things like everyone making swords with their powers and running into each other a bunch.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
if after such an anime disaster worse than the darling anime, his fans still ask for a continuation of NT is that they are simply blind.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
if after such an anime disaster worse than the darling anime, his fans still ask for a continuation of NT is that they are simply blind.

They are, there is a push to get people to buy the blurays to get NT animated. I see no point in that. They'd have to rush another dozen novels through a single season to adapt the entire next arc, and the same ridiculous people that pushed Index 3 to adapt a dozen novels to finish the story will surely push for that again. I still think Index 3 could have been workable with a talented enough staff, but where are they going to get that given how they failed badly to do so this time.

And now Accelerator is coming next which will surely sour more people on the franchise.
Stiles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
They are, there is a push to get people to buy the blurays to get NT animated. I see no point in that. They'd have to rush another dozen novels through a single season to adapt the entire next arc, and the same ridiculous people that pushed Index 3 to adapt a dozen novels to finish the story will surely push for that again. I still think Index 3 could have been workable with a talented enough staff, but where are they going to get that given how they failed badly to do so this time.

And now Accelerator is coming next which will surely sour more people on the franchise.

Well yes, part of the problem was they ran out of time, but the main problem was they adapted too much story with too little of that time.

This season of 24-26 episodes should have only covered six volumes: volumes 14 through 19. They then could've gone on break for however long and come back to adapt World War Three with a one cour followup.

They don't need to cover a dozen NT volumes with the next season, they only need to follow a more reasonable blueprint. Since the next major arc follows a nearly identical amount of story, they can cover the first seven volumes in a two cour season and then cover the climax in the next one cour.

Yes, this season fell short of expectations, but that's no reason the formula can't be improved to adapt the next bit of the story with the attention and care it deserves. As for Accelerator, we can discuss that when it airs and come to our judgments then. Personally, I hope all the franchises sell well enough that we can continue into NT, because this season is not the travesty some people might think it is.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:35 am Reply with quote
I can't believe they didn't let me make the "I can't believe Touma is [expletive] dead" joke
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I can't believe they didn't let me make the "I can't believe Touma is [expletive] dead" joke

I was a bit sad, but it wasn't unexpected. I don't think anyone ever believed Touma died to Gabriel, but it kind of ruins the scene where Mikoto is looking for him... though how they animated her just stirring water with a stick didn't really resonate with me anyway I guess.

At least Aliester's appearance was pretty cool. Also, Laura Stewart... yeah, happy thoughts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16