• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Quote:
the suspiciously-healthy Oyafune (the older woman from the Board of Directors who sent Touma to France)

Could this arc be taking place before Touma was sent ot France. That could explain why she was healthy.

No. The doctor made reference to Accelerator returning from France during their conversation, so it has to happen after that. Given the timing of events, she must have healed improbably quickly.

Oh, and for the record, while I haven't read past the first novel, I have seen substantial spoilers while putting together the character blurbs, so I do at least generally know where this is going. I'm curious to see how much they're going to try to adapt in this series. Are those familiar with the novels estimating that both spoiler[October 9th and World War III] will be covered?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Are those familiar with the novels estimating that both spoiler[October 9th and World War III] will be covered?

Amazon Japan lists the series with 26 episodes. Based on the current pacing and the scenes that are included in this coeur's OP, we're getting 3 more episodes for the current arc, 3 episodes for Volume 16, and then 3 for Volume 17, which would end the coeur halfway through the spoiler[British Royal Family] Arc.

Next coeur, they could spend 3 episodes wrapping up that arc, 4 episodes on spoiler[DRAGON] Arc, and then the final 6 on spoiler[World War III]. At that point, everything except for the second side-story volume will have been covered except for the second Side Story volume (which, although more than a little goofy, honestly wouldn't make for a bad OVA), bringing us to the end of Toaru Majutsu no Index and the beginning of Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Quote:
the suspiciously-healthy Oyafune (the older woman from the Board of Directors who sent Touma to France)

Could this arc be taking place before Touma was sent ot France. That could explain why she was healthy.

No. The doctor made reference to Accelerator returning from France during their conversation, so it has to happen after that. Given the timing of events, she must have healed improbably quickly.

Oh, and for the record, while I haven't read past the first novel, I have seen substantial spoilers while putting together the character blurbs, so I do at least generally know where this is going. I'm curious to see how much they're going to try to adapt in this series. Are those familiar with the novels estimating that both spoiler[October 9th and World War III] will be covered?

spoiler[We saw the British royal family in the Opening so the British Halloween arc will be present] but i'm not sure about if they go further due to time

as for the improbable healing, this is Academy City and Heaven Canceler, can we really consider stuff like this improbably

But yeah, i'm concerned about how they adapt different arcs
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
You can see Accelerator spoiler[on the train in Russia as well as Touma walking with Lessar in the PV, so there's presumably a plan to animate into WWIII.]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Accelerator being a little shit like this can be so much fun. "He used Aztec magic to hide" gets an "ok" response, just freaking blows up a thing to stop an event, waltz into a car to get to a satellite, and that preview showing him spoiler[aiming the gun at himself to get the teleporter] are so fun.

Hamazura was also quite fun as soon as he stopped interacting with ITEM.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

They said the adaptation would cover the rest of Old Testament which includes both of the arcs you're asking about. As someone mentioned there is animation of a scene from the latter of those 2 arcs. This means they're adapting books 14 through 22 so unfortunately I don't see them slowing down the pace any time soon.

Also, a couple of corrections for the ep 4 review. Etzali's arc was in season 1 of Index. The item girl you referred to as having super strength for her ability actually controls nitrogen, and (I'm not sure if this was the implication) Frenda's explosives aren't an ability.

The backstory reference between Item and School was explored in the Railgun manga, but it was pretty minor. It was more of a (pretty vague but tagging it anyway)spoiler[clash between individuals who just happened to be in those groups than a clash between the two.]
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Always a bad sign when a reviewer needs to give a "who's who" list for a series. Just goes to show how badly Index has been handled over the years and how fractured the fanbase has gotten.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
Always a bad sign when a reviewer needs to give a "who's who" list for a series. Just goes to show how badly Index has been handled over the years and how fractured the fanbase has gotten.

The arc this adaptation is currently covering came out around the time that the first season of Index was airing, and back then the light novels were ungodly popular amongst the Japanese anime community. The writer and director probably have not-unreasonable expectations of the Japanese audiences' familiarity with these characters.

As to the "fractured" nature of the English-language fanbase's familiarity with the characters, that was inevitable considering how long it has taken for the novels to officially come out in English. Knowledge of where to get fan-translations of light novels is not as wide-spread as knowledge of where to get fan-translations of manga, so even among non-"Anime only" fans, some of us read fan-translations of Volume 15 almost a decade ago, while others only read the book this past year. Some of us are over 20 volumes ahead of where the anime currently is, and don't necessarily remember characters who haven't had very many appearances these past few years.

Heck, I only have this degree of familiarity with the ITEM girls because they're my favorite characters in the franchise. I doubt I could name everyone in SCHOOL, much less tell you their powers.

Point is, a "who's who" isn't a bad thing. Not everyone is on the same page, literally.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
I've got to nitpick Crunchyroll's translation here. Given that the Orthodox churches are theologically schismatic from the Roman Catholic Church on the basis of the supremacy of the Roman bishop (aka, the Pope), the use of the term "Roman Orthodox Church" is quite jarring. The document itself is actually called the "Donation of Constantine" (not "Document"), and the doctrine to which is being alluded is papal infallibility.

Some real historical background (okay, this is a story that's obviously going to play fast and loose with real history, but it's still fun to point out): the Donation of Constantine is now known as a forgery, probably to bolster Pepin the Short to grant the Papacy land in what is now Italy and was known historically as the Papal States. To this main grant, the Papal States eventually acquired two exclaves in Italy, and one exclave in modern France.

France in the Middle Ages did not have the same extent it does now, even before you take into account the fact that trying to untangle who was actually in control of what makes determining what polities were actually countries difficult. France was hit hard by the latter issue, with a Duke of Normandy going off to conquer another country and eventually marrying the Duchess of Aquitaine (whereupon the English throne controlled more land in France than the French throne) and a powerful, independent-minded Burgundian vassal. In the High Middle Ages, though, the nominal boundary of the Kingdom of France was the Rhône river.

The territory to the East of the Rhône river was controlled by the Kingdom of Arles (aka the Kingdom of Burgundy, but this isn't the same Burgundy as I mentioned above), which was a part of the Holy Roman Empire and eventually dissolve into Savoy, Provence, and other bits and pieces. One of these pieces (the Comtat Venaissin) was willed to the papacy in 1271, although it wasn't actually effected until 1274. The popes then purchased Avignon and added it to the county in 1348. The Avignon Papacy started in 1305.

There's a certain irony in referring to the Avignon Papacy as French. The French never had control of Avignon, nor even the surrounding region, at least not for another 100 years after the move to Avignon. The land in question was part of the Holy Roman Empire. Even the popes themselves were not from lands controlled by the French, but from the Angevin lands (such as Gascony), controlled by the English at the time. Moving to Avignon was not an action forced by the French king, but rather a decision on the part of the pope that was partially "I don't want to deal with the current Italian politics" and partially "hey, Avignon is a much more well-connected city [the only bridge across the Rhône and a border post between France and the HRE] than Rome is, so why move to Rome?"
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
Pidgeot18 wrote:
I've got to nitpick Crunchyroll's translation here. Given that the Orthodox churches are theologically schismatic from the Roman Catholic Church on the basis of the supremacy of the Roman bishop (aka, the Pope), the use of the term "Roman Orthodox Church" is quite jarring. The document itself is actually called the "Donation of Constantine" (not "Document"), and the doctrine to which is being alluded is papal infallibility.

It's not Crunchyroll, "Document" and "Orthodox" are direct translations of how the author refers to them in the light novels (he also frequently uses characters that would be translated as "Crossist" instead of "Christian", and "Religion of the Cross" instead of "Christianity"). There's speculation that the author deliberately uses incorrect religious terminology as a means to indicate that his villains aren't supposed to represent actual Catholics.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:44 am Reply with quote
If we're talking about actual translation choices, this is my first time going with official subs/TLs for Index, so is this "Misaka Misaka" thing for Last Order how it always went? Fansubs and the novels fan TL always used "Misaka says as Misaka describes her feelings" instead.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
At least the character who had maybe the single dumbest design in the franchise to date is the one who got killed.

wait, who was this referring to?
Rob49152

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
At least the character who had maybe the single dumbest design in the franchise to date is the one who got killed.

wait, who was this referring to?

The guy who looked like he was wearing a toilet seat with strings dangling down would be my guess.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
(spoiler tags contain Episode 5 spoilers)

At this point, I simply cannot imagine how difficult it must be for someone who hasn't read this novel to keep track of all the backstories that got referenced in Episode 5.

In the book, every time the author introduces something like spoiler[Move Point's friends being locked up] or spoiler[Etzali's history with Return of the Winged One], he takes a moment to remind the reader of what's happened so far in that character's story arc. In the anime, though, I feel like the pacing makes it impossible for the viewer to have even a second to try and remember this stuff before moving on to the next plot point.

By the way, referring to spoiler[Return of the Winged One] as spoiler["Aztecs"] sure lead to some inadvertently hilarious lines this episode. You'd think those zany spoiler[Aztecs] would have learned to make swords out of spoiler[metal] by now! Rolling Eyes

Normally, I'd complain about how a passage describing why spoiler[the taxi driver instantly trusts Uihara with the safety of a lost child] was simplified into a single shot of him noticing that she has a spoiler[Judgment arm band], but that seems trivial compared to the fact that the viewer had no idea that Baba Yoshio was in a underground bunker, or that the woman on the phone with him was spoiler[Xochitl], or that spoiler[Xochitl knew that the bunker was flooding but didn't care enough about her teammate to save him]!

The fact that a lot of people reading this are now asking themselves, "who the heck is Baba Yoshio?" suggests to me that they should have just cut him out of the adaptation completely if they weren't going to include any reason to care about who he was or what happened to him in this episode.

Going forward, the most memorable scenes in this novel happen in the second half of the book, and I'm pretty concerned that they're going to cram them all in a single episode.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Was that Frenda (I think that's the name of the blonde ITEM member with a verbal tic) getting stomped on at the end there? It was a bit hard to tell.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
At this point, I simply cannot imagine how difficult it must be for someone who hasn't read this novel to keep track of all the backstories that got referenced in Episode 5.

Yeeeaaaah.... I'm getting pretty confused. We got so many organizations with different motives, members of these organizations betraying their organizations, characters referring to events that I don't remember/know, new characters showing up that the other characters know etc.

I guess Accelerator's group and Meltdowner's group are the "good" guys, the rest are mostly bad guys. That's about the extent of what my little brain understands.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16