• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Was that Frenda (I think that's the name of the blonde ITEM member with a verbal tic) getting stomped on at the end there? It was a bit hard to tell.

Yes.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmph. I kinda like her. In Railgun it seemed like she was to Meltdowner a bit like what Kuroko is to Misaka, just not as annoying (though I do ultimately like Kuroko, the ONEE-SAMAAA moments got a bit annoying). So her getting beat up off-screen feelsbadman.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
The fact that a lot of people reading this are now asking themselves, "who the heck is Baba Yoshio?" suggests to me that they should have just cut him out of the adaptation completely if they weren't going to include any reason to care about who he was or what happened to him in this episode.

spoiler[He's gonna show up in Railgun that's why he's here]. Don't think they would've outright cut him even if it wasn't for that though.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I am happy to admit that as an anime-only viewer I am at the point where I assume 60% of characters have been introduced previously but I only remember 40% of them. I do wish the show had done more to remind folks of what's going on.
timber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:59 am Reply with quote
The first two episodes at least made some modicum of sense but now it is just a battle royale with guys coming out of nowhere massacring everyone in sight without a hint of what's going on. And everyone gaves if a rating of 4 and above while probably at the same time complaining about the violence of Goblin Slayer Wink

Season 3 seems like a lost cause to me.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
timber wrote:
The first two episodes at least made some modicum of sense but now it is just a battle royale with guys coming out of nowhere massacring everyone in sight without a hint of what's going on.

Well, the current arc is called the Battle Royale arc, so. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I really think that, with the amount of stuff they cut out in the anime, the least they could have done was end every episode with the graphic that the author used to indicate who was still standing at the end of each chapter and which faction they belonged to. It would have gone a long way to making this feel more like a multi-sided battle and less like a free-for-all.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Key wrote:

I really think that, with the amount of stuff they cut out in the anime, the least they could have done was end every episode with the graphic that the author used to indicate who was still standing at the end of each chapter and which faction they belonged to. It would have gone a long way to making this feel more like a multi-sided battle and less like a free-for-all.

Absolutely agree. I do miss the computer monitor-esque graphic of spoiler[UNDER_LINE] as well.

I think the main problem thus far is that they aren't letting the story breathe. They're adapting nine volumes with only twenty-six episodes, where in reality it would've been better served as a three cour affair. Something in the neighborhood of thirty-six to thirty-nine episodes.

The new To Aru project encompasses Index III, Railgun III, and the new Accelerator adaptation. While the #1 is definitely my favorite guy, I feel they're wasting their money with an Accel anime at this point in time. The fact is that his manga only has enough story to cover one arc, one cour. If they had capitol for twelve episodes, it should've went to Index III.

That aside, episodes four and five are only somewhat rushed due to cutting certain scenes and bits of the narrative. They do leave out the early scene with MEMBER, confirming that they are a unit under the direct control of the board chairman of Academy City. The thing with BLOCK is that you go through the novel without knowing their true intentions until the confrontation with GROUP at the reformatory (juvenile hall).

Episode five unfortunately stumbles in the fight between Musujime and Teshio of BLOCK, leaving out about a page worth of very interesting conversation concerning BLOCK's true objective and spoiler[the nature of the Windowless Building.] I'm worried that they'll try to cram all of chapters four and five of the currently adapted volume into one episode and that would be just a huge disservice to the fans if it lands poorly.

Everything else has been mostly correct, so it's just a problem of there not being enough time to properly introduce all these characters and story elements to the audience so they (the audience) can more easily form their own interpretations and opinions of the story.

Last edited by Stiles on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
is this "Misaka Misaka" thing for Last Order how it always went?

Yup, I've always assumed that it has something to do with the amount of lip flaps the dub actors have to work with.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Episode five unfortunately stumbles in the fight between Musujime and Teshio of BLOCK, leaving out about a page worth of very interesting conversation concerning BLOCK's true objective and spoiler[the nature of the Windowless Building.]

That was a pretty big omission. I was a bit surprised to see that just cut. Also, I wasn't fond of Etzali's one sentence explanation of his plan to save Xoc then it happening off screen. What he did is a pretty big deal after all.
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I would honestly suggest to any anime watcher that has at least some interest in this arc to read the light novel version like I did, if you truly want a full experience. Even with the tight schedule the anime is running on I believe this arc should at least have 2 more episodes and from the looks of it everything might wrap next episode.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
I would honestly suggest to any anime watcher that has at least some interest in this arc to read the light novel version like I did, if you truly want a full experience. Even with the tight schedule the anime is running on I believe this arc should at least have 2 more episodes and from the looks of it everything might wrap next episode.

Yeah and that concerns me

If the production staff is rushing this much through the arcs, I feel that the show's characters and story will suffer greatly

Granted, i will be the first to argue that the characters and story aren't great but man, this doesn't help
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
micah007 wrote:

If the production staff is rushing this much through the arcs, I feel that the show's characters and story will suffer greatly

Granted, i will be the first to argue that the characters and story aren't great but man, this doesn't help

It really doesn't help. This series is very detailed. Wanted or unnecessarily detailed is another debate but we can all agree VERY detailed. For the most part I've thought that so far the anime has done a decent job of adapting the bare essentials of the narrative in a coherent enough manner that anime only watchers wouldn't complain, but only so much detail can be summarized, altered, or ignored before things become a mess.

I'm still hopeful Accelerator vs Kakine is well adapted, but given most of that fights enjoyment comes from the physics defying details (none of which you can really brush over without confusion) I worry.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:
micah007 wrote:

It really doesn't help. This series is very detailed. Wanted or unnecessarily detailed is another debate but we can all agree VERY detailed. For the most part I've thought that so far the anime has done a decent job of adapting the bare essentials of the narrative in a coherent enough manner that anime only watchers wouldn't complain, but only so much detail can be summarized, altered, or ignored before things become a mess.

I'm still hopeful Accelerator vs Kakine is well adapted, but given most of that fights enjoyment comes from the physics defying details (none of which you can really brush over without confusion) I worry.

I'm sure the animation and effects will be fine as will the explanation but at this stage of my anime viewing life, i'm more focused on characters and story than in the past and Index even before the rushed nature wasn't great and the rushed nature makes it worse. It's still coherent but man it could collapse fast
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
We've had this sort of pace for Season 2 already. That one adapted volumes 7 through 13 plus SS1 plus one third of volume 5 (so 8 novels at least) in 24 episodes. Now we're doing 9 novels in 26 - and the last three novels were supposed to be two to begin with.

It's just that Battle Royale is honestly just a different beast than the other stories so far. It has a lot more players and no real central protagonist until about halfway through, and organizations and characters come and go (by which I mean die) very quick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 16