• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll be curious to hear what got skipped from the source material, as this one doesn't have the obvious omissions of the last few episodes, but what's shown about the underground city is at least fantastic.

Only three substantive omissions:

(1) There is a scene from the Roman Orthodox Pope's perspective that begins with him observing a fight between Anglican Archbishop Laura Stewart and Kaori Kanzaki over sexy mini-skirts, and ends with him sadly musing over the ways in which his actions have helped perpetrate human inequality. Basically, we're supposed to come away from this passage with the impression that the Pope is a decent person.

(2) There is much more dialogue and introspection prior to and during the fight against Acqua:

- There's a discussion of how the 20 Saints essentially represent the apex of human power on the Magic-side, to the point where nations treat other super-powers' Saints the same way Cold War powers treated each other's nuclear weaponry.

- Acqua states that removing Touma's right arm will help "eradicate the mastermind behind all the chaos in the world".

- Touma realizes that Acqua isn't using some kind of ability or trick to beat him, but rather that fighting him is equivalent to fighting another player in an MMO who is 100 levels higher than oneself.

(3) The chapter this episode adapted originally ended with the first of many sequences that highlight particularly heroic moments in the life of a really badass dude named "William Orville". I don't think we're supposed to know what that has to do with the rest of the story yet, though.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
(1) There is a scene from the Roman Orthodox Pope's perspective that begins with him observing a fight between Anglican Archbishop Laura Stewart and Kaori Kanzaki over sexy mini-skirts

Well, fudge me. I would have wanted to see that.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
I can remember thinking "Yanno, they probably should have some more guards on this guy. More than just that girl if what she's saying is true". Then later "We know he's in town now" and I'm like "Yeah, you should probably have like freaking 50 guys on him right now, I mean, if you care about him. And he shouldn't be wandering around in public. Probably want him locked up somewhere".

Then I remember rolling my eyes a lot.

The necklace Acqua threw down was Tatemiya's. This was to imply that the huge group of Amakusa watching from slightly further away were already defeated. I think this is more a testament to how stupidly strong Acqua is. There is basically nobody they could send... a whole spoiler[1 person on the entire Anglican side is strong enough to beat Acqua at Acqua's current power].

killjoy_the wrote:
I was expecting the fight to be a lot better - Acqua feels less menacing than teleport-y. Itsuwa trying to heal Touma and failing because of IB also wasn't as impactful as it could've been, but eh.

I think that may have been intentional? I don't remember it being that menacing as he just won so effortlessly and quickly.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
(2) There is much more dialogue and introspection prior to and during the fight against Acqua:

- There's a discussion of how the 20 Saints essentially represent the apex of human power on the Magic-side, to the point where nations treat other super-powers' Saints the same way Cold War powers treated each other's nuclear weaponry.

- Acqua states that removing Touma's right arm will help "eradicate the mastermind behind all the chaos in the world".

- Touma realizes that Acqua isn't using some kind of ability or trick to beat him, but rather that fighting him is equivalent to fighting another player in an MMO who is 100 levels higher than oneself.

On the first point, they didn't quite go into the detail, but I think the anime so far has given proper weight to how strong saints are so I don't really think an expansion to the line about only having 20 saints in the world is a big deal.

The second point you brought up there was covered in the episode. Acqua says that before drawing his lance from his shadow. The translation in the subs just may not match the translation you were expecting.

For the last point, the audience knows about saints. Touma had a fight with a saint. If anything that was more to remind the reader. It doesn't add anything. Also, this is an anime, and I think visually showing how Acqua is just swatting him like a fly covers that perfectly. Such introspection only really makes sense to include in a book.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
On the first point, they didn't quite go into the detail, but I think the anime so far has given proper weight to how strong saints are so I don't really think an expansion to the line about only having 20 saints in the world is a big deal.

The second point you brought up there was covered in the episode. Acqua says that before drawing his lance from his shadow. The translation in the subs just may not match the translation you were expecting.

For the last point, the audience knows about saints. Touma had a fight with a saint. If anything that was more to remind the reader. It doesn't add anything. Also, this is an anime, and I think visually showing how Acqua is just swatting him like a fly covers that perfectly. Such introspection only really makes sense to include in a book.

Yeah, I feel like all of these were reasonable cuts, but I brought them up because I felt like the novels placed a lot of importance on these three points (for example, in the case of the second point, there is much more emphasis on how Acqua believes that any attempt by Touma to deny that his right hand contributes to the world's chaos would be a lie; Acqua is here for dismemberment, not discourse).

Overall, I felt that this was probably the best-adapted episode of the season.
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
This certainly was a much better episode compared to previous ones, primarily because this overall arc will fit the 3 episodes per arc plan much better. Acqua certainly established himself as a credible threat and I haven't been this scared for Touma in quite awhile. This episode was also a good reminder of how this franchise truly excess when it makes use of the larger world and ensemble of characters it has even for little details and events.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Another good episode, very pleased. They certainly made the underground portion of the city look great. There wasn't much left out, as others have mentioned, though I would've liked to have seen the prologue.

Looking forward to the next one. Smile
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
If I’m to be honest with episode 7, it was somewhat infuriating

The first few minutes alone made me angry at both the nonchalant mature of Touma to the situation and the stupid harem antics with Itsuwa. Watching them makes it plainly clear how antiquated the writing for humor and character is. In addition, the lack of scenes showcasing Acqua vs Touma means that they will need to impress with the next few action scenes

That said, the underground city and driving section are well done so the show isn’t intolerable. However, if the character, humor and action doesn’t improve, I’m tempted to drop the show
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh no who will ever keep complaining about the novels from 2008 being antiquated if you drop the show
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Oh no who will ever keep complaining about the novels from 2008 being antiquated if you drop the show

Passive aggressive comment aside, just because it’s from 2008 doesn’t excuse it. Media transformations of older works have done better jobs than this and frankly, I feel the over adhesion to the LN hurts it
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Passive aggressive comment aside, just because it’s from 2008 doesn’t excuse it. Media transformations of older works have done better jobs than this and frankly, I feel the over adhesion to the LN hurts it

I think it does actually. The entire point of them doing this is to adapt the LNs. This is a long running series that pretty much throws the viewer in. Their core target audience is clearly existing fans. They could potentially improve things by changing them, but this has two major issue: (1) a good amount of fans will be instantly pissed if they deviate and (2) even past those fans, the changes could just end up even weaker.

I think you'd have more of a point if the series was adapting an older work trying to bring new fans in for the first time. I'm also just talking about the adaptation, and I'd agree that certain aspects of early novels don't hold up that well. To be fair, I didn't like a lot of that at the time either.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Just for the record, guys n' gals, this week's episode won't be reviewed until the English subs become available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
C'mon Theron! Brush up on your Spanish/German/French Razz
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
C'mon Theron! Brush up on your Spanish/German/French Razz

Wait, those are out already? I figured the delay on the subs was caused by whoever is responsible in Japan not getting the script out or something like that. How is English the slowest...
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Heh... I opened up the episode on Friday and the first line in the subs was "Descgraciado...". Ok then.

On Crunchyroll it says: "Due to production issues, English subtitles are expected to be available on Monday. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for patience." It's weird.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like the great Spanish Inquisition arc got replaced with another Index episode translated into English. (There probably is a Spanish Inquisition arc, isn't there?)

Episode 8:

Blah blah, whatever, can someone tell me how Itsuwa manages to lose her sweater but not the top she wears over the sweater?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 16