• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
Guess I'm in a small group of fans then, because I can't stand Accelerator, nor am I a big fan of Mikoto's secondary cast in Railgun. In fact, the fact that Touma takes a back seat to Accelerator for full books of the light novel is the one thing keeping me from reading the light novels. I just can't stand Accelerator that much. Nor did I ever finish the Railgun seasons of anime or touch the Railgun manga as Mikoto -- who makes a fine main character -- has a really annoying set of side characters in her group. Kuroko being the biggest of them. Her antics have never been and will never be funny, she just annoys the heck out of me. Without Touma, whom I actually personally REALLY like as an MC, I would be moving on to something else.

If you don't like Railgun because of that, skip season 1 cause it feels like filler and episodic. But season 2 is a whole new deal, it's like Index season 1 but through Mikoto eyes but with top notch animation(if only Index season 3 add it too Crying or Very sad ) which means you will see Touma and Accelarator duke it out. You have some bonus in there too regarding Academy City that you don't know from Index anime.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
In fact, the fact that Touma takes a back seat to Accelerator for full books of the light novel is the one thing keeping me from reading the light novels. I just can't stand Accelerator that much.

That's quite exaggerated, really. Volumes 15 and 19 (speaking Old Testament only) don't feature Touma, but they're definitely not 100% Accelerator. Not only is Shiage another protagonist, they also take a bunch of side characters and prep them up.

Taskforce wrote:
Nor did I ever finish the Railgun seasons of anime or touch the Railgun manga as Mikoto -- who makes a fine main character -- has a really annoying set of side characters in her group. Kuroko being the biggest of them. Her antics have never been and will never be funny, she just annoys the heck out of me.

You can touch the manga fine, then. The presence of the trio is a lot less than in the anime, and Kuroko when she's being serious is a character I actually really like. She gets cool moments in Index (like the Remnant arc adapted in season 2) and in Railgun (Daihaseisai, to be adapted next season).
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
Guess I'm in a small group of fans then, because I can't stand Accelerator, nor am I a big fan of Mikoto's secondary cast in Railgun. In fact, the fact that Touma takes a back seat to Accelerator for full books of the light novel is the one thing keeping me from reading the light novels. I just can't stand Accelerator that much. Nor did I ever finish the Railgun seasons of anime or touch the Railgun manga as Mikoto -- who makes a fine main character -- has a really annoying set of side characters in her group. Kuroko being the biggest of them. Her antics have never been and will never be funny, she just annoys the heck out of me. Without Touma, whom I actually personally REALLY like as an MC, I would be moving on to something else.

cant blame you. especially when it comes to kuroko! she is basically to index/railgun for what hercule satan was for the cell games. a extremely lame ass attempt as a comedic sideshow that fell flat on its face!

its one of the reason why when UQ Holder was released, there were some people that was extremely worried their was going to make karin an even worse version of those two!!!

but i would have to completely disagree with you when it comes to mikoto and her friends (excluding kuroko shirai)

they have a very popular fanbase , especially mikoto which is why they created the railgun spinoff manga!!! same with accelerator who is more or less the definition of an anti hero!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

All right, I'm a bit lost here. I remember the beam melter level 5 girl and the short blond girl with a verbal tic from Railgun season 2. I don't remember Hamazura or the other 2 girls. Are they with GROUP (these org names are lame)? Or are we going to learn later how beam melter level 5 girl's group ties into all this?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 4

All right, I'm a bit lost here. I remember the beam melter level 5 girl and the short blond girl with a verbal tic from Railgun season 2. I don't remember Hamazura or the other 2 girls. Are they with GROUP (these org names are lame)? Or are we going to learn later how beam melter level 5 girl's group ties into all this?

Takitsubo and Kinuhata showed up in Railgun Season 2 Episode 8. Hamazura was last seen in Index Season 2 Episode 24 as the leader of the thugs sent to kill Misaka's mother.

Takitsubo was the girl in pink track pants who helped Meltdowner track Misaka's movements by using her Level 4 "A.I.M. Stalker" ability. She left the battle after experiencing side effects from a drug she took to temporarily amplify her abilities.

Kinuhata was the girl in an orange hoodie who apprehended the scientist who broke in to the Sisters facility. The scientist shot her with a gun, which Kinuhata blocked using her Level 4 "Nitrogen Armor" ability.

Together with Meltdowner and the blonde girl who uses explosives (Railgun Season 2 Episode 18 confirmed that she has an unrevealed Level 4 power which she doesn't use in combat), they make up ITEM, which at this point you should just think of as "an all-female version of the group that Accelerator was forced to join".

All we're supposed to know about Hamazura right now is that, since we last saw him, he seems to have become some kind of personal assistant to the four ITEM girls, and that his relationship with them is supposed to remind the viewer of one of those "ordinary guy who becomes a servant to super-powered women" harem comedies like The Familiar of Zero.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Lots of plot threads and characters were abandoned just as quickly as they were introduced because the author didn't really have a sense of what he was going to do in the long term.

It is true that he didn't plan for a lot of this because he wasn't expecting to get more books published, but he also does weave nearly all of the plot threads back into the story making a lot of the content that felt more episodic at the time play an important role.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate

Thanks! ITEM seems like a fun group.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
It is true that he didn't plan for a lot of this because he wasn't expecting to get more books published, but he also does weave nearly all of the plot threads back into the story making a lot of the content that felt more episodic at the time play an important role.

Except for vampires, because poor Himegami cannot become relevant. Laughing
Stiles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Kamachi throws in vampires later. Himegami spoiler[is one of the Gemstones,] so I doubt he's forgotten about her.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
If i'm to be perfectly honest, i feel the issue with episode 4 is that the Index LNs have a lot of details and side exposition that has to be cut for the sake of keeping the anime clear and focused but also causes confusion for anyone that doesn't read the LNs

As for Accelerator and spoiler[later protagonist] Hamazura, they seem to be more interesting than Touma at least at this point so i have no issues with following GROUP and ITEM

plus, that Number 2 that was mentioned will show up in a big way later on so I say that this arc is given a serviceable but not great start
micah007

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I heard this was one of the stand out arcs in this franchise, so I'm certainly excited for what's to come. I also generally enjoy the science/science fiction aspects of this series more than the religious elements so I might actually read the light novel version of this arc for a comparison. As someone who's first seeing this content in the anime I feel though it had a good start and the entire cast of characters are interesting enough to carry this ensemble for the time being.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
I heard this was one of the stand out arcs in this franchise, so I'm certainly excited for what's to come. I also generally enjoy the science/science fiction aspects of this series more than the religious elements so I might actually read the light novel version of this arc for a comparison. As someone who's first seeing this content in the anime I feel though it had a good start and the entire cast of characters are interesting enough to carry this ensemble for the time being.

The arc itself is good but the issue is that they might condense a lot to make this arc work for anime

Regardless, we should have some cool fights
micah007

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
micah007 wrote:

The arc itself is good but the issue is that they might condense a lot to make this arc work for anime

Regardless, we should have some cool fights

I worry about how much the anime version will be condensed as well, which is why I'm going to read the light novel for the full experience. If this season covers as much ground as I think it will alot of upcoming content will be compressed, which is to be expected I just hope it can be done as best as possible.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the suspiciously-healthy Oyafune (the older woman from the Board of Directors who sent Touma to France)

Could this arc be taking place before Touma was sent ot France. That could explain why she was healthy.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Quote:
the suspiciously-healthy Oyafune (the older woman from the Board of Directors who sent Touma to France)

Could this arc be taking place before Touma was sent ot France. That could explain why she was healthy.

it was shown in the LNs that spoiler[Oyafune recovered from the gunshots] which is not shown in the anime

this is one of the problems with the Index LNs, there is a lot of stuff in the LNs that aren't that important at first glance
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16