• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: IRODUKU: The World in Colors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
Junketsu no Maria has both French and English witches. It's set during the Hundred Years War (1337-1453).

The "western yokai" in the current GeGeGe no Kitarou story arc include a couple of witches with hats and brooms as well. They all hail from some unknown Western place that has big castles like those in eastern Europe. However the leader of these yokai, "Backbeard," identifies himself as American.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
not only that the fish he drew pops out of her magic

Hmm, I'm probably wrong, but I had the impression that he was not the creator of the fish she keeps seeing leaping out of his laptop, but that it was something only she was seeing, and a separate "entity" from his drawings. If that's the case and I haven't misinterpreted things terribly, it may be part of her subconscious magic (like her walking on water until someone told her she shouldn't be able to be doing that). It's interesting that it turned up in her star sand and that he can see it now. But then it seems to be a koi, so that's punny...

Jeeze, I'd go nuts in that shop, just staring at all the vivid colors all day. Smile
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Surprised Once again I am amaze by how you take your observations and form connections to create possible theories of what could happen down the road. I would like to make those connections myself except this time around even if I was being more observant I would have not thought much of the books mention. In fact I would have thought they were made up as this is the first I am learning of these two books (of course you did mention that one of them is not well known). However, reading the first paragraph of this review has once again filled me with dread.

It’s also got me speculating exactly what older Kohaku must had in mind for sending her granddaughter to the past. From what I have seen so far it does not appear that Kohaku has much affinity for the members of the Magic Photography Club other then they are fellow classmates. Not to mention prior to sending Hitomi to the past during the original timeline she was still in England studying magic which would mean that originally she did not join their club at all. So why would she send her granddaughter 60 years in the past to possible help what amounts to as her acquaintances? Then I had a thought of what if it could be that maybe it’s not just the members of the Magic Photography Club who had something unfortunate happen to them, but maybe the entire class in general; perhaps the school itself and it was all Kohaku fault. Could the older Kohaku had sent Hitomi back to the past prevent her grandmother from committing a big mistake? Or maybe whatever unfortunate event that happened was not the fault of Kohaku at all but something else entirely, but she felt bad she was not there to stop it being that she was out of country at the time. This second possibility has me worried though with Kohaku now in Japan she could potentially get caught in whatever that unfortunate event which would make me sad because I have quickly grown to like Kohaku. That and that would be bad news for Hitomi as she would disappear from existence if she failed to save her.

With that said as I type this I am beginning to doubt if my speculation has any merit (well maybe the first speculation to some degree could be possible) given the question I pose earlier. I just thought to share what my imagination came up with at the time when I was reading this review earlier today, and they have not been ironed out. However during the time my brain was going through a brainstorm another question came to my mind. Being that Kohaku possible has an ulterior motive for sending Hitomi to the past, and if the possible reason for it was to save someone, then why her in particular? She could have chosen another mage for the task (the story seems to imply that magic is still a thing in the future) or even herself that matter. The fact she had to wait 60 years to do this is also questionable. I am wondering if this is base on some prophesy or something that only older Kohaku knows of.

Until we get the answers I am just going to stick with what the narrative of the story has shown which was that Hitomi was sent back to the past to rediscover her love for magic and in turn regain her vision of color.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I am glad we got more perspective on Asagi and her relationship with Sho (or more like why she is crushing on Sho). However, I am wondering why she made a big deal that Sho only brought "brown" food to the get together, and assume this was done for Hitomi. I was a bit tire when I was watching this episode so I might had miss something. Either that or it's something culturally related to Japan that I am not aware of (in which case I would happy to know because I always love to expand my knowledge on Japanese culture Anime smile).

I forgot to mention this last time, but I like that scene two episodes ago when Kohaku asked Hitomi what her future husband was like, but then quickly change her mind before Hitomi could say anything. It's something I would have probably done if it was possible for my grandchild, or child for that matter, to visit me from the future and I either learn of or told they are my descendants (in fact I have thought of this scenario a few times before). I would not want to know who my future wife would be like as it could potentially affect the timeline in a bad way for me and especially my decedents. Just knowing that I would married one day with a family of my own would be enough for me to feel content on that front.

Also I felt a bad a bit that Hitomi had to be stuck with cleaning with Kohaku even though it was not her fault they ran out of magic sand. But I guess when I look at it another way I can see it as Hitomi just making it up out of the goodness of her soul.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Jeeze, I'd go nuts in that shop, just staring at all the vivid colors all day. Smile

Same here! Anime smile I love how the colors are presented in this show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
The imagery in this show is FAR from subtle, but I am adoring this story. The art when Yuito’s drawings get tangled up with Hitomi’s magic is just insane, some of my favorite stuff I’ve seen in an anime.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Wow! Surprised Once again I am amaze by how you take your observations and form connections to create possible theories of what could happen down the road. I would like to make those connections myself except this time around even if I was being more observant I would have not thought much of the books mention. In fact I would have thought they were made up as this is the first I am learning of these two books (of course you did mention that one of them is not well known).

Ha ha, thank you! Very Happy It's kind of an occupational hazard (both here and in my teaching) and it can make me very annoying to watch TV or discuss books with. Smile

Honestly, both books are on the obscure side right now - a lot of classic children's books have been co-opted by adult readers to the point where few children actually read them, and by today's standards of chapter books and middle grade fare, both Uttley and Doty would be considered too dark or unforgiving. (At least, in the US. Canada is more willing to take a chance on darker stuff for kids; see When Everything Feels Like the Movies.) A lot of that stuff fell out of "fashion" in kiddy lit after the 1970s, although YA is more likely to have a darker edge today. (If you're interested in 80s and 90s kids' books, I'd recommend Paperback Crush, which is easy reading and pretty informative.)

Anyway, Daughter of Teacher, Granddaughter of Librarian. I was doomed from the start. Laughing
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I had no idea about the Buddhist fish thing, that’s incredibly cool. It certainly makes sense in context of everything else. I’ll take an unsubtle show that’s trying hard over one that’s got nothing to say.

Also that OP kills it every time it kicks in after the first minute.
kenatsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
For the guys watching this show, is it worth it to sink some time into it from what you've seen so far?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
kenatsu wrote:
For the guys watching this show, is it worth it to sink some time into it from what you've seen so far?

That really depend on what you like... Imo the show looks good and directing is great, rest is... adequate if you feel generous. It desperately lack subtlety and character are meh.
kenatsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
kenatsu wrote:

That really depend on what you like... Imo the show looks good and directing is great, rest is... adequate if you feel generous. It desperately lack subtlety and character are meh.

Thanks for the reply ..I'll give it a try for one or two episodes
kenatsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
kenatsu wrote:

Thanks.. I'll give it a try for one or two episodes.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
See, conversely, I love the characters. I consistently enjoy this show on a level that only Bloom Into You and Gridman come close to matching. The art style is a delight and Hitomi could use a nudge or two, but that’s what her grandmother is for. The show was good to begin with, but it went up a notch once her grandmother re-entered the picture.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
However, I am wondering why she made a big deal that Sho only brought "brown" food to the get together, and assume this was done for Hitomi.

I think it was brown as opposed to colorful. Like no dishes with green, red or yellow fruits and veggies, or pink shrimp, since she couldn't appreciate them. Just looking at bentos and desserts in anime, they usually seem to go all out with decorating with colorful foods and patterns, so it stuck out to her that what he brought was all one color (hey, he could've just brought riceballs!). Whether he did that on purpose, or did it without putting any thought into it, I'm not sure.

I really loved that moment when she first crept into his drawing. The way they rendered the corridor with the splashes of light at the doorway reminded me of something out of early Disney, like Snow White or Fantasia.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Ha ha, thank you! Very Happy It's kind of an occupational hazard (both here and in my teaching) and it can make me very annoying to watch TV or discuss books with. Smile

Honestly, both books are on the obscure side right now - a lot of classic children's books have been co-opted by adult readers to the point where few children actually read them, and by today's standards of chapter books and middle grade fare, both Uttley and Doty would be considered too dark or unforgiving. (At least, in the US. Canada is more willing to take a chance on darker stuff for kids; see When Everything Feels Like the Movies.) A lot of that stuff fell out of "fashion" in kiddy lit after the 1970s, although YA is more likely to have a darker edge today. (If you're interested in 80s and 90s kids' books, I'd recommend Paperback Crush, which is easy reading and pretty informative.)

Anyway, Daughter of Teacher, Granddaughter of Librarian. I was doomed from the start. Laughing

I see. So it would be best if one watch a show with you after they have seen it for themselves first. As for the books I might give them a try one day. Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote:
We can perhaps best see this when Hitomi accidentally magics herself into Yuito's art this week. (The stone on her earring is glowing when the fish initially appears, if you missed it.) Once there she not only wanders through his recent artistic landscape, but soon finds herself in a desert of artistic block. Crumbling pieces of his pictures sink into the sand, and a giant, brown fish lies motionless in the dunes. Eventually she reaches a muddy pond made up of mixed colors where a black shadow man is catching golden fish, turning them brown when he approaches them. This is a visual representation of where Yuito is creatively – chasing inspiration so hard that he can't bring it to life the way he wants to, killing it where it begins.

Wow! What a way to show what an art block is like. It did not even dawn on me the world Hitomi enter into represented Yuito artist block, and I think that is something I should had recognized given that I am an artist as well (though an amateur one who has not drawn in a while). I am in agreement that one of the highlights of this anime so far is the creativity in how it shows symbolism.

Quote:
Given that in Buddhism golden fish are typically shown in pairs and are symbolic of unity and happiness, and I think that Hitomi getting her colors back when she and Yuito make up is a good sign.

That is a nice connection there. That is the first I am learning about the significance of a golden fish in Buddhism religion. It reminds me of how much I want to learn more of far eastern religions/philosophy.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Gina Szanboti wrote:

I think it was brown as opposed to colorful. Like no dishes with green, red or yellow fruits and veggies, or pink shrimp, since she couldn't appreciate them. Just looking at bentos and desserts in anime, they usually seem to go all out with decorating with colorful foods and patterns, so it stuck out to her that what he brought was all one color (hey, he could've just brought riceballs!). Whether he did that on purpose, or did it without putting any thought into it, I'm not sure.

I see.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

One thing I want to bring up concerning last week's episode is that I like Kurumi philosophy on photography. The idea of taking pictures in the moment as oppose to people always smiling. It bothers me that every time my relatives want to take a picture they want me and everyone else to pose. For example I could just be enjoying a meal while we are on a trip and they want me to stop what I am doing to smile for the camera. While it's nothing wrong with posing for the camera in and of itself once in a while it can be so bland when every picture is like that with people. Plus I think it's more authentic when a picture is capture in the moment. Of course she does go a bit too far when capturing Hitomi sadness which leads to Hitomi getting a bit annoy with her (which got me giggling as this is the first seeing Hitomi get annoy like that Very Happy).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
NormanS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
glad to see Hitomi finally going to talk to her clubmates about her color blindness.

Also, is the series being targeted by downvotes or something. Most of the time when i check out the weekly review about this series its already at a low score. [image]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Usually scores tend to drop over time. But since you say it always starts out low, maybe someone hates it so much they just can't wait to give it 0 stars right away. Smile Whether the 5-star or 0-star raters get there first, once more votes start accumulating, the average will shift more toward consensus. The previous episodes have ended up averaging around 4 - 4.3, so if it doesn't get back up into that vicinity, then I'd say something might be up.

I thought the scene about running for the ferry was weird. What was the plan here (I know there wasn't one)? For some to stay behind with all their gear to be, what picked up the next day? That sucks. Just leave their gear (we're talking cameras and computers in those bags, right?) in the middle of the sidewalk and hope it's still there when they all come back the next day to get it? Hold the ferry while the stragglers drag all their gear to the dock, causing everyone on the ferry trouble? That's so non-Japanese it doesn't seem likely.

From a literary standpoint, I get what the scene was about, but as a viewer, it just irritated me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5