• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: IRODUKU: The World in Colors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I figure something bad would happen at some point as a result of Hitomi being in our time, but I was not suspecting this to happen to her, which on one hand it's good as there is not large scale catastrophe but it still is terrible that Hitomi is at risk of disappearing forever.

I was not suspecting a Disney like ending for this anime (as that is typically something I suspect only Disney would do), but I was thinking it would end on some happy note. Given how things are now, and what was mention in this week episode report with the possibility of Hitomi becoming too powerful for her and Kohaku to work in sync, I do not know how this show is going to end in two weeks. The one thing I am concern right now is the upcoming culture festival. While I am okay with Hitomi to be apart of the festivities I do not know it would be a good idea if she helped Kohaku with their event as there is the possibility she could disappear during their showcase which could cause problems for everyone (and now I am remembering how concern the principle was when he saw Kohaku be so cheery of her event). Sad

On another note did anyone see that Engrish that was on display when Kohaku and one of her professors were messaging each other? Also if it does turn out Kohaku professor is the grandparent of the protagonist of the book mention in both this report and the past one weeks back then that would add further significance to Kohaku concern towards her future granddaughter (as well as being an interesting idea from a storytelling perspective).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
j_plex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
All of the progress and growth the characters had in this episode took place in previous ones. Even the significance of the fireworks scene was contrived and - as there are no male mages - the significance of Yuitos artwork is never revealed.

It would have been great to tie up the minor arcs in 12 so 13 will deal primarily with the main couple. But now they are either going to rush everything or leave a ton of plot threads hanging.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Where do you fall on the debate of whether it is better to have loved and lost or never to have loved at all?

Hm. . .I think I would lean towards the former, especially when concerning love in general and not just the romantic kind. This is because even if one were to not have to deal with the possible pain of grieving that comes with loosing someone/the people they grow connected to if they chose the latter, they would end up experiencing loneliness which feels even worse; especially in the long term when it becomes scary and debilitating. I have realize in recent years that regardless of which way one choose, he/she is going to feel heavy discomfort in the long term, and given that we are social animals by nature it would be for our best health to establish relationships with people then to be fully isolated. So getting close to people at the risk of experience grief in the long term is less painful then going through loneliness.

Besides relationships when healthy are fun and joyful to be in.

Quote:
the major one being Hitomi's ability to see the colors of the magical fireworks at the end. The question is why she could see them. The easiest answer, and the one the show has been guiding us towards, is that she feels happiness, but then what brought that very specific happiness about? It is the friend-love of her clubmates? The familial love of Kohaku? The romantic love of Yuito? Probably the answer is all three, but then we have to wonder how that's going to work when she goes back to her own time and only really has one of those. It doesn't feel like she's learned to love in the past, although perhaps she has learned to trust, which may eventually make all the difference.

That was my most favorite moment in the episode as it was amazing seeing Kohaku and Hitomi pull of their own firework show to add more flavor the celebration, as well as seeing Hitomi finally being able to see the color of those fireworks that she miss for so long and what it represented for her growth. It was a moment that fill me with warmth and joy. I would say her happiness stems from forming relationships with her club members as a whole (Yuito and Kohaku included). If she has indeed learn to trust, which thinking back on her growth I would say she has, then I think it would be a start in making a difference in her life.

Quote:
In my experience, time travel stories of this nature tend to take one of three paths. The first is that the two romantic interests end up in one of the two time periods together based on a miracle of some sort. The second is that they separate and take with them the memories and lessons of their time together to live better lives. And the third is that they end up with the reincarnation or child of the person they loved in the other time period. All of them could technically work here, although I've never really been a fan of the third one, and these are only the most common paths. What happens next week at the moment this episode just cut off may be the deciding factor, but whatever the answer is, I think it will have been a journey worth taking.

I see. The third option seems less likely for me if we are dealing with reincarnation as that would require one of the characters (or more likely Yuito in this case) to die for that to happen and that would not seem to fit. I could see it though that perhaps Hitomi meets Yuito grandchild in the future and grows a relationship with that character. For me I am leaning towards the second option. Also, I was guessing how this would play out (and how I am describing this is going to be broken in pieces because I have not way of putting them together) is that Hitomi arrives back to her time where she meets Kohaku on the day she was sent who upon seeing how much her granddaughter has change reflects on the time the two has together when she was younger. She goes about her night and during the time passes by her friends/former club members who are also in their late adulthood or comes across them. Maybe everyone comes together to reflect on their time together with Hitomi (maybe getting that cheesy ending you suspect might happen).

With that said it would be neat if the show did something entirely different that is not the typical ending of these time traveling stories.

Well reading this reminded me of when I was going through having a crush during my years in high school, and the time I built up enough courage to confess, and it resulted in feeling like an arrow pierce through my gut. However I was too nervous to follow it up, but I felt glad I was able to express that. It was a different experience. While my worries were less on whether Hitomi or Yuito were going to confess and more on whether the main cast would be okay given the law of nature that is affecting Hitomi that could affect the event in a bad way and in term everyone else (because I have grown to care about these characters enough that I do not want to see anything bad happen to them), I do look forward to seeing if Hitomi would make her feelings known to Yuito.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca,

Your familiarity with A Traveler in Time certainly added something to your reviews of this show, as it does seem to be quite the touchstone for at least someone high up in the production. Thank you.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I think the finale was disappointing. I kinda wanted to see her meet her friends but seeing them as old people. Plus she was at a grave and they didn't want to clarify who it was? They show Hitomi together with the librarian but won't show us who Yuito ended up with? (probably the Senpai lets be honest though)

I think they spent too long on the farewell for dramatic purposes
-SP-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
I think the finale was disappointing. I kinda wanted to see her meet her friends but seeing them as old people. Plus she was at a grave and they didn't want to clarify who it was? They show Hitomi together with the librarian but won't show us who Yuito ended up with? (probably the Senpai lets be honest though)

She said she wanted to look for her mom, so I had assumed the grave was her moms. But now that I think about it, it could have been Yuitos.
EiMs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

I am in pretty much at the same boat as you. I knew that she will back to her period of time but I expected that everyone, who she leave in the past, will meet her or at least later at Kohaku house. It was lazy move from studio side. But overall I quite enjoy this show it wasn't that kind of show where you thinking " What is going to happen next" but more relaxing after long day at University.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kohaku and the bookstore guy who I suspected would become Hitomi's grandfather. (Wasn't that shot of them at the end cute?)

I thought Hitomi grandfather looked familiar when we saw a shot of him together with Kohaku, but I could not put my finger on it at the time. Well I be darned. So Kohaku future husband was the person who worked at the bookstore this whole time. Surprised I wonder how you came to suspect this?

Also I am now I am wondering how Hitomi did not recognize him as her grandfather. I guess it’s because he looked too different for her to recognize. It was probably for the best anyway as if she did she might have mention it allow for Kohaku to hear. . no actually she won’t as Kohaku did stop her from telling her about her future husband a while back so she would probably keep that to herself out of respect. Speaking of which I was not thinking we would ever get the answer to who Kohaku gets with.

Oh and the shot with them together was rather sweet. Anime smile It felt a sense of serenity mix in with some connection.

Quote:
That almost makes me wonder if we truly needed the romance subplot at all. Yes, it added some tension between Yuito and Sho and Hitomi and Asagi, but strictly speaking, Yuito and Hitomi just needed to come to care about each other. In that respect, their romance was almost a cruel tease

All Hitomi strictly needed to realize and understand was the power of love, romantic or otherwise, and how it makes up part of the colorful spectrum of emotions. In fact, I would argue that it would have made more sense for Hitomi to learn the importance of non-romantic love, since it was her mother's lack thereof (in her perspective) that caused Hitomi to lose her ability to see colors in the first place. Perhaps that is what she and Yuito felt for each other, but the need to frame it as a romantic narrative undercuts that potential message.

So more along the lines of probably philautia, or “self-love” as from what we know about Hitomi mom it would seem that she felt ashamed that she was the only member of the Tsukishiro family to be born with no magical powers, so as a result she did not seem to really love herself at all, and from what I have learn over the years when one does not love themselves they are unable to fully love others in return. This happens with the fact she ends up abandoning her daughter who possess gift with magic that she lacked (and it did not help the fact she show potential to be an excellent mage) leaving Hitomi feeling ashamed for whom she is as a result.

Thinking about what I have seen over the course of this story as well as what Hitmoi and Yuito shared with each other in the final Hitomi, as well as Yuito in turn, character arcs were to grow to love themselves for who they are and the gifts they bring and they do so through each other. While I did not mind the romantic sub plot between the two from a narrative sense (practical wise though it would not have been a good idea given the potential risk of affecting the time stream but seeing that this world operates on a different rule of time travel it turn out to be so much of a problem), I do see where you are coming from and given what you mention it would have made the theme of the story more powerful if it was not frame as a romance between the two but instead as intimate friends who’s relationship is more platonic/philia.

Quote:
It doesn't make the fact that we see Hitomi crying at a grave at the very end any less of a stab to the heart, however. While it could be her mother's grave and I wrongly assumed that she had simply wandered off and was alive somewhere, the easier supposition is that Yuito has died in the last sixty years and it is his grave she's visiting. It's awful either way, but if it is his gravestone, it returns us to the symbolism earlier implied by the continued use of Alison Uttley's 1939 novel A Traveler in Time - in that book, the heroine goes back in time and befriends Mary Queen of Scots, who, despite having her life changed for the better, still dies in the end, as history decrees. With so many references to Uttley's novel within the series, I'm inclined to believe that this scene is simply another piece of someone's homage to a favorite childhood novel. (And sad or not, I'd still recommend Uttley's book over modern elementary school death books. Looking at you, Bridge to Terabithia.)

While I did also suspect the grave could be her mom’s, my first guess was that it was Yuito grave, and I personally think might be the case (besides I was taught years ago by one of my history teachers/track couch from middle school to always go with your first guess). My reason is because Hitomi did tell Kohaku that she wanted to find her mom and talk to her along with Kohaku, and while this does not happen within the story I think Kohaku would have come with Hitomi to cemetery to see her.

Also, I heard the Bridge to Terabithia had problems but that was concerning the movie. I have not read the book.

Quote:
So whether you cried this week or not (and I definitely teared up), there's a feeling of completion to this show's journey. It wasn't perfect and certainly dragged its pacing at times, but issues with the romance plot aside, it really has been a beautiful journey – and as the saying goes, sometimes the object is not to get to the top, but rather to enjoy the climb along the way.

While I did not tear up I felt close to as my emotions were welling up on the inside from hearing Hitomi friend’s plus her younger grandmother sharing how they felt about her, to Hitomi and Yuito finally sharing what was on their souls, to Kohaku finally achieving her live goal (all the while learning why she sent her granddaughter back in the first place which made me feel sorry for her), to the reading of Hitomi favorite book from childhood that feature characters base on her and the others, to Hitomi visit to a gravesite to offer her respects, this was an emotional but satisfying episode that deserves the rating you gave it.

This is an anime I would like to come back to one day just to see if I get a different perspective on its theme or to discover something that I did not notice in my first viewing. I hope it gets a home release where we live.

Also, thank you Rebecca Silverman for this analysis you have given us Anime smile as it felt more like I was reading an analysis to a story then a review, but it felt refreshing as well as mentally engaging.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I think my only quibble with the ending was the scene showing Yuito giving Hitomi his book. He looks like he's 25, 35 tops, when he'd have had to have been at least 64-5 (I don't think Hitomi could be younger than 4 there). Smile
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think my only quibble with the ending was the scene showing Yuito giving Hitomi his book. He looks like he's 25, 35 tops, when he'd have had to have been at least 64-5 (I don't think Hitomi could be younger than 4 there). Smile

That took place in the hallucination world, and I think was just metaphoric. Yuito wrote it for the little girl he met in the dark room, and symbolically gave it to her.

A lovely series, I think I agree with Rebecca that the romance was almost a distraction among all the other relationships Hitomi developed.

I am tempted to go back and watch the first episode again, to see how much Hitomi changed at her school.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this show overall I was just a bit let down at the ending. It is really unrealistic for her not to at least ask what happened to her friends. The grave could either be Yuito or her mother but it was so sidelined. I think it would've had more emotional charge if we saw who's grave and if she found out/met up with her friends from the past. Otherwise I really enjoyed the ending especially where she reads the book.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
That took place in the hallucination world, and I think was just metaphoric. Yuito wrote it for the little girl he met in the dark room, and symbolically gave it to her.

Ok, if you say so. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. But why did she recall it while holding the book? Why isn't that his metaphorical memory? When did it happen? When we saw him in her psyche within his illustration, she wouldn't even talk to him, and rejected all his overtures to her then.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
Though I wouldn't put it past the team behind Glasslip to go for the overdramatic and have the grave be one of the 2 mentioned above, I'm 90% sure that was the family grave and she was visiting the great and great-great grandparents she had gotten to know as they for sure would be long gone.

Also didn't Kohaku specifically say "yuto is doing fine"? Or did I imagine that line...
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
EiMs wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:

I am in pretty much at the same boat as you. I knew that she will back to her period of time but I expected that everyone, who she leave in the past, will meet her or at least later at Kohaku house. It was lazy move from studio side. But overall I quite enjoy this show it wasn't that kind of show where you thinking " What is going to happen next" but more relaxing after long day at University.

I think you're underestimating how long 60 years is. All of her old friends have long moved on, moved away, had families, careers, died, ect. Heck I'm only thirty and my high school years are already a very distant memory. I doubt I could name half the people I once hung out with on a daily basis. So it doesn't shock me at all that they're not all waiting on a girl they once knew for maybe three months six decades ago.
EiMs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
EiMs wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:

I think you're underestimating how long 60 years is. All of her old friends have long moved on, moved away, had families, careers, died, ect. Heck I'm only thirty and my high school years are already a very distant memory. I doubt I could name half the people I once hung out with on a daily basis. So it doesn't shock me at all that they're not all waiting on a girl they once knew for maybe three months six decades ago.

I know it is a long period of time but still they could at some form address what happened to them. Now it felt more like we were friends for 6 months after that is done. But she was from future logically I can't even imagine how could they forgot about her. Other strange move that Hitomi didn't even asked about her past friends. Yes maybe they all pass away or they in other cities, countries, etc and studio thought it is better don't say anything, but still I miss this cherry on this cake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5