• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: IRODUKU: The World in Colors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Your familiarity with A Traveler in Time certainly added something to your reviews of this show, as it does seem to be quite the touchstone for at least someone high up in the production. Thank you.

You're welcome. It isn't often I get to dig so deeply into the role of a children's book that isn't Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in anime, and I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

Aquasakura wrote:
I thought Hitomi grandfather looked familiar when we saw a shot of him together with Kohaku, but I could not put my finger on it at the time. Well I be darned. So Kohaku future husband was the person who worked at the bookstore this whole time. Surprised I wonder how you came to suspect this?

I think I just read a lot. Very Happy But also he was the only guy outside of school we saw Kohaku interact with, and I assumed that Hitomi would have realized if Sho was her grandfather. I don't think we ever saw her with young bookstore guy, or she may not have realized that he and Kohaku met when Granny was so young.

Quote:
Also, I heard the Bridge to Terabithia had problems but that was concerning the movie. I have not read the book.

I have to admit that I've hated it (perhaps unreasonably) ever since I first read it in the third or fourth grade. I do remember when the movie came out it was advertised as a fun fantasy film, and parents who hadn't read the book were very unhappy when they realized that it wasn't. I'm still not sure why they thought it was a good plan to advertise it that way...

Quote:
as it felt more like I was reading an analysis to a story then a review, but it felt refreshing as well as mentally engaging.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's a style I enjoy writing in, but also one I try to use carefully based on the content of the show (or manga) itself. I agree that this is a show that will probably hold up well on a rewatch - I think more details will come clear when you already know where the story's heading.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:11 am Reply with quote
I didn't even last 2 minutes before the tears came, I knew what was about to happen but the powerful emotional scene won out in the end.

I had a feeling something might happen when Yuito & Hitomi said a lackluster goodbye to begin with but glad they got their true feelings across.

Was kinda hoping that we would see the others in the future for a reunion but it wasn't to be.

I enjoyed this, it was slow at times but I thought it really started and ended well, that character development of Hitomi was great to watch.

7/10
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I think I just read a lot. Very Happy But also he was the only guy outside of school we saw Kohaku interact with, and I assumed that Hitomi would have realized if Sho was her grandfather. I don't think we ever saw her with young bookstore guy, or she may not have realized that he and Kohaku met when Granny was so young.

You read good then. I can imagine that Hitomi might not have ever seen a picture of her grandfather when he was younger so she did not recognize him. However I can't help but wonder in that one scene in episode 12 when she met him for the first time she had a thought he looked familiar given that look she give for a second, or it could just be me.

Princess_Irene wrote:

I have to admit that I've hated it (perhaps unreasonably) ever since I first read it in the third or fourth grade. I do remember when the movie came out it was advertised as a fun fantasy film, and parents who hadn't read the book were very unhappy when they realized that it wasn't. I'm still not sure why they thought it was a good plan to advertise it that way...

Given from what I have seen from the film, I can imagine some parents being upset of how mislead they were. I do not get why Disney would market the film like that either, except my guess is it may have to do with their own image of wanting to appear whimsical.

Princess_Irene wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's a style I enjoy writing in, but also one I try to use carefully based on the content of the show (or manga) itself. I agree that this is a show that will probably hold up well on a rewatch - I think more details will come clear when you already know where the story's heading.

Uh-huh! Anime smile Also, I can see Iroduku was the right show for you to write int his style given what it offer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:06 am Reply with quote
I just caught up with the series, and I wish it had bypassed romance (and worse, the romantic triangle) altogether and gave us a clearer understanding of what happened to all the Magic Photo Club kids in the future.

I was actually angry at Sho for confessing to Hitomi in the first place---this girl basically just told him that this is the first time in her life she's had close platonic friends, and he proceeds to freak her out with a love confession, even while suspecting she was interested in another guy. Then, when she runs away and avoids him the next day, he doesn't take responsibility for it or apologize for freaking her out, he acts like he's the one owed an answer by her. It would have been a far worse situation if Asagi had blamed her for how hurt Asagi was by Sho confessing to Hitomi---that little bit of being jealous was too much. I'm really glad the show side stepped that trope and have Asagi realize it wasn't Hitomi's fault right away, and that the girls were able to maintain their strong friendship. I still think Sho is perhaps more selfish than he is mature (Asagi, you can do better!)

Episode 10 was excellent. The novelty of visiting the inside of a drawing really does look like fun! We found out why Hitomi dulled her vision (and her social skills) and it all makes sense.

Best of all, Yuito took the first step at what my headcannon hopes is a very successful career as a children's art therapist! I really do think that scene, and the show overall, might have worked better if there were no romantic tension between Yuito and Hitomi, just two friends who were able to help each other through similar traumas through their connection and empathy. (I don't remember correctly, but didn't Yuito develop artist's block because of an issue with his dad?)

I kind of wanted Yuito to turn out to be Hitomi's grandfather (the guys who marry into Hitomi's family take their wives' name, it seems, so if she didn't know her grandfather's family name, maybe she wouldn't recognize him?), but that would have made their "romance" even more awkward, and he and Kohaku had absolutely no chemistry. I do like the idea that Yuito's encounter with Hitomi inspired his career as a children's book author/illustrator (...and maybe art therapy), and Hitomi's encounter with Yuito and the others certainly helped her gain confidence.

The last few minutes of the show was a bit frustrating. It did not show who everyone ended up with, or even which grave Hitomi visited. If it were her mother's grave, I suspect her mother committed suicide.
I hope that's not the case, because when Hitomi said she wanted to find her mother and speak to her and have Kohaku reconcile with her, too, I had so much hope for them, especially for Kohaku. This is a woman who regrets unintentionally pushing her daughter away, you could tell in how she told Hitomi that even though she was good at magic, she wasn't good at keeping people in her life (her daughter/Hitomi's mother) happy, and I can totally see how an unhealthy, resentful dynamic could develop between someone as outgoing, gung-ho and enthusiastic about magic as Kohaku with a daughter who was unable to use magic at all.

For all Kohaku learned when her granddaughter visited her high school self, she didn't learn how to relate to people on a deep level *without* using magic---if anything, the experience made her think that she should try to use magic to solve all her problems, and spend even more effort to learn complicated time magic techniques to ensure the time loop would take place, which is kind of sad, when you consider how this would become a wedge between herself and her non-magical daughter.

So I hope Hitomi's mother is still alive, and the three generations can patch things up. I don't know why the show was so vague about the grave, or everyone's whereabouts, and the romance frustrated me, but overall it was a good show (and I kind of hope we get an OVA of whether Asagi ends up with Sho, and the other couples, perhaps through the letters Asagi promised to write to Hitomi!)
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Kind of late to make a comment but this was easily the best show of the year for me. My personnel opinion is that the grave was Yuito's. In any case it was a very emotional show and I've rewatche it about 3 times since it finished airing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5