• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsurune

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
I think the pace and mood the series is setting is perfect for the subject matter. Kyudo isn't crossbow hunting or horseback archery or any other kind of action-oriented sport. It's very meditative, cultivating physical and mental strength. It's more related to something like the intricacies of a proper tea ceremony than a sport like baseball. The formalities of preparing and executing the shot are just as important as hitting the target (like shooting pairs of arrows, which are fletched to induce opposite rotations). If that sort of subdued ambience is "too safe" or not dynamic enough for some, that's fine. It's just what I'm looking for right now.

I was fascinated by a lot of little details in this that were delivered without comment, like how to string the bow. Seeing them use that little bottle-opener tool on the wall was neat.

I hope Seiya's big guilt trip wasn't simply that he didn't support Minato enough at the time. That would be too safe. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote
I am actually more curious about that rival school already than I've ever been about our main cast. Onogi is cute, though.

And two thumbs down for short-haired Masa! Sad Sad Sad
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe there wasn't time this week to include Onogi's reaction.

But we did get his reaction, maybe not the one you expected, though. I thought his response to Masa and Minato "hugging" was pretty funny. Kacchan is still my favourite, but i can't help but enjoy seeing him suffer. The same goes for Masa, apparently who seems to have quite the sadistic streak. Laughing

Btw, i'm still not over Masa's hair (just like Minato)...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
"This isn't what it looks like!" Laughing I did like the probably deliberate ambiguity of his reply, as it could as easily have been referring to his position with Minato as to his brother.

And if you know everyone's names by heart, which I don't yet and likely won't ever, they did show us how everyone scored in the tournament. But even so, given how the subtitles were arranged, without knowing the kanji for everyone's names, I couldn't tell if I was supposed to read the names left to right, first line, second line, to match the single line of names on the board, or if they were l-r, staggered between the 1st and 2nd lines. And I didn't care enough to go research it to figure it out.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We don't even know if either of them hit the target in the tournament!

https://imgur.com/gallery/jYbaS46

Onogi scored 1 and Minato scored 0.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
And if you know everyone's names by heart, which I don't yet and likely won't ever, they did show us how everyone scored in the tournament. But even so, given how the subtitles were arranged, without knowing the kanji for everyone's names, I couldn't tell if I was supposed to read the names left to right, first line, second line, to match the single line of names on the board, or if they were l-r, staggered between the 1st and 2nd lines. And I didn't care enough to go research it to figure it out.

It can be read either way. Left to right starts with Takigawa (top) and ends with Nao (bottom).
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Its Japanese, so read it Japanese style.

The board goes from Top to Bottom, with names going from Right to Left

IF you know that, then even without being able to read their names They Told/Showed You the firing sequence so it should be easy to figure out the results.

Boys Team
(1) Kisaragi (prettyboy) = 2 hits, 2 misses
(2) Yamanouchi (tall newbie) = 0 hits, 4 misses
(3) Narumiya (Target Panic) = 0 hits, 4 misses
(4) Takehaya (Glasses) = 4 hits, 0 misses
(5) Onogi (Tsun) = 1 hit, 3 misses

Girls Team
(1) Seo (Tall girl) = 3 hits, 1 miss
(2) Shiragiku (dark hair, pony tail) = 2 hits, 2 misses
(3) Hanazawa (brown hair, twin-tail) = 0 Hits, 4 misses
Notice how these next 2 are written in chalk, its because they were added in and are obviously the teacher and coach
(4) Morioka (Tommy sensei) = 4 hits, 0 misses
(5) Takigawa (Masa-san) = 4 hits, 0 misses

Quote:
We don't even know if either of them hit the target in the tournament!

YES WE DO.
I keep hearing about how its better to Show and not Tell, but that only helps if you know what you're looking at and don't immediately dismiss what's right in front of you if you don't understand it.
Just because it wasn't spoon-fed doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Or did the reviewer expect to see every shot in the tourney played out?
Even if they did a shortened montage of things that's still 40 shots to cover and would have still wasted time it didn't need to when putting the results up on the board and clearly stating that the Girls team won over the Boys 7 hits was the point it needed to convey to move the story forward.
Ruri Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
I think it's worth a note that the anime and the novel have quite a number of differences...
Scenes being shuffled around is normal for adaptations, but in this case, some scenes were taken out, and some new content was added in. (e.g. the scene where Onogi walks in on Masa dressing Minato doesn't exist).

Personally, the novel gives off a very different feeling from Free.
Masa-san is a bit more of a playful adult in the novel, and his scenes with Minato were more ..not sure how to put this....intimate? --- Minato spends a lot of private time with Masa-san, and takes great observational care. He really reveres him not only as an archer but also as a role model. The diction choice is quite questionable, so you can probably interpret it in various ways.

I also prefer Nanao in the novel over his anime counterpart.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
It can be read either way.

No it can't, but my description of the problem was obviously confusing. It doesn't matter now though, since Kokuryu Daimao laid it out clearly. Thanks!
AA751

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
Ruri Lee wrote:

Masa-san is a bit more of a playful adult in the novel, and his scenes with Minato were more ..not sure how to put this....intimate? --- Minato spends a lot of private time with Masa-san, and takes great observational care. He really reveres him not only as an archer but also as a role model. The diction choice is quite questionable, so you can probably interpret it in various ways.

I miss the poetry that is in the scenes between Minato and Masa-san. I thought that they would give the interactions between those two at least 2 episodes because they spent so much time together alone. And I don't like how they change the scene between Seiya and Minato when Seiya confronts Minato over where he's been at night, because that was intense. Novel spoiler..spoiler[And how that ends in them having a physical fight, with Minato bleeding and the subsequent conversation Minato has with Masa-san].

And the diction choice, is....very interesting. I think I interpreted Minatos as having a crush in on Masa-san, and I think the anime does try to convey that too, but the feel is changed a little. Idk. Did I mention I miss the poetry?
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
Ruri Lee wrote:

Okay, since novel readers keep insisting that it's "not like Free!" (even though people seem to have pretty much ceased to compare the shows after the first ep...), how exactly is it so "very different"?
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote
More archery trivia.

Another interesting thing that I like that was more shown than directly told was when Onogi was treating Kisaragi's arm.
Like all martial arts, injuries can occur if done incorrectly.
In all Archery, one of the biggest causes of harm is from the bowstring hitting the bow arm upon release.
The simplest solution is to wear some sort of arm-guard or bracer. Those leather arm bracers that are often seen being worn in medieval or fantasy based settings, those weren't just fashion statements, they were worn to protect the archers Bow arm so that they could fire arrows consistently when needed.

In Kyudo there is no arm-guard, which is part of why they focus a lot on form, because if done right you shouldn't hurt yourself.
However, protective gear exists for the String hand, mainly in the form of the Yugake/Gloves they wear.

The other protective piece that everyone has seen but has not been mentioned by anyone is the chest protector that all the girls are wearing.
Its called a Muneate, and its purpose is pretty straightforward.
If you can imagine how painful the bowstring hitting Nanao's arm might have been, its much worse for women if the string should hit their breast.

Additional Random Trivia:
The mythological Amazons were said to have removed one of their breasts in order to solve that dilemma.
AA751

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Ruri Lee wrote:

Okay, since novel readers keep insisting that it's "not like Free!" (even though people seem to have pretty much ceased to compare the shows after the first ep...), how exactly is it so "very different"?

Well just look at the protagonist. Minato, he suffers from 'target panic' and although he loves archery he's found it difficult to overcome it. He's managed to get back into it, because by chance he came across Masa-san who made him realise his love. Minato is back in with the kyodo, but he's still hasn't overcome his target panic.

The protagonist of Haru was obsessed with water, and only cared about swimming Free and wasn't interested in competition. Umm, my memory is fussy after what happens next because I haven't seen it in forever and I found it boring, but..in the end he discovers the joy of friendship and everyone lives happily ever after? Idk, something something yay friendship, something something boys being naked blah blah something.

Haru doesn't or didn't have a mentor, and Haru didn't have any severe trauma or an accident/and death of a mother in his past which led him to have anxiety about archery. Haru was kind of a distant character from everyone, whilst Minato is pretty angry at times.

Honestly, I can't think of anything about Free (from my fuzzy memory) that's like Tsurune except it's about a sport (entirely different sports SO DIFFERENT), and it has boys in a sport. Which covers every sports anime ever.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:32 am Reply with quote
AA751 wrote:
dk, something something yay friendship, something something boys being naked blah blah something

Well, your "deep insight" into Free! doesn't exactly seem to make you the most competent person to answer my question, But thanks for trying anyway. Rolling Eyes
AA751

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:33 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
AA751 wrote:
dk, something something yay friendship, something something boys being naked blah blah something

Well, your "deep insight" into Free! doesn't exactly seem to make you the most competent person to answer my question, But thanks for trying anyway. Rolling Eyes
]

Well let's put it this way, Free was about friendship right? Tsurune isn't about that, well it is partly, but that's not the major theme and their protagonists are ENTIRELY different.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote
AA751 wrote:
Merida wrote:
Ruri Lee wrote:

Well just look at the protagonist. Minato, he suffers from 'target panic' and although he loves archery he's found it difficult to overcome it. He's managed to get back into it, because by chance he came across Masa-san who made him realise his love. Minato is back in with the kyodo, but he's still hasn't overcome his target panic.

The protagonist of Haru was obsessed with water, and only cared about swimming Free and wasn't interested in competition. Umm, my memory is fussy after what happens next because I haven't seen it in forever and I found it boring, but..in the end he discovers the joy of friendship and everyone lives happily ever after? Idk, something something yay friendship, something something boys being naked blah blah something.

Haru doesn't or didn't have a mentor, and Haru didn't have any severe trauma or an accident/and death of a mother in his past which led him to have anxiety about archery. Haru was kind of a distant character from everyone, whilst Minato is pretty angry at times.

Honestly, I can't think of anything about Free (from my fuzzy memory) that's like Tsurune except it's about a sport (entirely different sports SO DIFFERENT), and it has boys in a sport. Which covers every sports anime ever.

I wouldn't say "very" different. Since both are made by KyoAni, there are bound to have some similarities (yeah, I'm gonna talk about anime differences, not the novel). Say, the teen angst, the BL undertone/bait (slash yuri undertone for that matter, if referring to KyoAni's recent titles in general as well), the style of animation, overdamatic emotional scenes (imo).

And for me, the difference in the protagonist's problem or the type of sport doesn't make it "very" different as well.
But I do think that Free and Tsurune is indeed different. And that, I think, is primarily because the overall tonality, how they treat the plot development, how they treat their characters' development,.and also their relationship. Overall, I think Free is more 'colorful', over the top, comical, energetic, some things along those lines (and more straightforward and fulfilling as BL undertone title, as it seems intended to be). While Tsurune is more low profile, calm, modest, a tad bit closer to realistic representation in dealing with emotional problems. If Free is like drinking some iced sweet soda, Tsurune thus far, would be like drinking tea. Just like Minato's patiently training himself with the bow routine without actually firing it right away, or like the slow movement in the Kyudo steps, or the quiet ceremonial act in the end of the latest episode. We may be reminded of Nagisa in the role of that tallest guy or the pretty guy (sorry haven't quite remembered their name), but those who pay attention would see they seem to hide some problems that Nagisa doesn't, and thus they seem much more humble than Nagisa within their character tropes (yes, it's just anime character trope in general, but not reincarnation of the same character). Just my two cents.

On the latest episode, it's surely more about building the characters' relationship and dynamic and thus little plot development (almost felt like a filler). But is necessary, considering the main protagonists are not all close to each other in the beginning, otherwise, when the time comes they're competing in the same team with certain relationship, there can be a feeling of sudden jump to being in such dynamic without this sort of episodes. Either way, some more knowledge of the sport itself is always welcome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6