• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Kyoto Animation's Tsurune Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I still do not understand what is so bad about Sentai, out of all the dubs I've seen from them, the only ones that were bad was Golgo and Gintama( the later being hard to adapt).

I can name three bad sentai dubs right off the bat.

Girls und Panzer: This is a case like rizuchan said earlier about them basically copying the Japanese script word for word, leading to a lot of awkward deliveries. This is strictly for the first season since I haven't watched the OVAs or movie yet. I assume they got better by then.

HOTD: The problem with this one is Steven Foster's script. It had way too many american references and almost everyone talked like they were in a cheesy 90s action flim. Made a bad show even worse imo.

Prisma Illya: This was kind of a big one. This show lives or dies on Ilya's perfomance, and she was the worst acted in the dub. She sounded like a thirty year old chain smoker. I mean a good majority of the cast was bad, but Ilya was easily the worst. The should have just outsourced this one to LA, at least then we would have pretty much got a consistent cast.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
^^Actuslly, I really enjoyed both HoTD and Panzer. The Americanized script in HoTD didn’t bother me, and I give Sentai major props for redoing lines after complaints about the original dub when it streamed. Considering the series was basically a love letter to western zombie movies, the dub worked. I like Panzer because it didn’t sound like a Texas dub, and had a lot of new and unexpected voices. Both Sentai and Funimation tend to play it a little too safe with casting choices, and this was one was an exception to that. The script could have been smoother, but I’ve heard far, far worse.

As for Tsurune, I expected this when I saw PonyCan promoting it. It seems they have a good relationship with Sentai, so I think this is more on their end than having anything to do with CR.
Johnamine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
^^Actuslly, I really enjoyed both HoTD and Panzer. The Americanized script in HoTD didn’t bother me, and I give Sentai major props for redoing lines after complaints about the original dub when it streamed. Considering the series was basically a love letter to western zombie movies, the dub worked. I like Panzer because it didn’t sound like a Texas dub, and had a lot of new and unexpected voices. Both Sentai and Funimation tend to play it a little too safe with casting choices, and this was one was an exception to that. The script could have been smoother, but I’ve heard far, far worse.

As for Tsurune, I expected this when I saw PonyCan promoting it. It seems they have a good relationship with Sentai, so I think this is more on their end than having anything to do with CR.

Sentai picked up several shows of PonyCan, like "Release The Spyce" and "Cutie Honey". But those shoes are not available on Crunchyroll...yet. (Unlike "Tsurune")
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Now if only someone would license Violet Evergarden...

Netflix did....

Netflix doesn't do home video and the bluray version of Violet Evergarden episode 13 is different from the TV broadcast/Netflix version. In any case, it seems Sentai has licensed more KyoAni produced works recently like Beyond the Boundary and Tamako Market + movie, and this Tsurune, so it seems more likely they will continue to license big names like Violet Evergarden unless Funi outbids them.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Now if only someone would license Violet Evergarden...

Netflix did....
Only for streaming, not home video.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
I would've preferred a FUNi dub, but sentai is a good consolation prize. It should get a dub at least, just not as good.

Last edited by GoldCrusader on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Truth be told, I don't mind Sentai Filmworks having a potentially higher dub output with this new partnership. While they are still new to the simuldub game, trying out maybe at least 2 Eng. dubs per season could be a way to try it out until they have the resource for even more per season.

Not: If Funi or Sentai start streaming an Eng. dub of anime from at least 1 season, that is not a "simuldub".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2