• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Old People In Anime And Manga So Short?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Slice-of-life shows and dramas that depict older people realistically don't have this meme. Sakura Quest has a number of elderly characters throughout the story, and I don't recall them being dramatically shorter than the young people. The retiring executive in Bartender's episode three appears both as his current persona and as a young adult. He looks about the same height in both periods.
melmouth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
As a short man, I found that whenever I would venture into the unknown world of shoji manga I'd be amazed at how tall the "dreamboat" guys were invariably drawn. Seriously, some of them look like stick figures: tall and most definitely NOT muscular.

I always assumed that this was due to the mangaka meeting the idealized dream of girls in a race that was short by nature. Now reality is making that dream come true!
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:00 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
After all, artistic depictions (and what counts as unusually tall) are generally calibrated to what the average is where the author and target audience are.

Interestingly!

One of the side-effects of dragging my father around japan is discovering that in Japan santa is regarded as being quite tall.

[my father is seventy-five, skinny, and well over six foot, with a beard that varies between "ragged edward VII" and "full charles darwin"; I look the same but beardless and younger]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2