• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legendary Produces Hollywood Live-Action Film of My Hero Academia Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Chances of failure are very high on this one. They didn't even manage a decent Death Note adaption and that should've been rather easy.

What no one can expect is an all-Asian cast and I'm actually ok with that. Totally whitewashing the cast would be bad but having a diverse cast would work in my opinion. Midoriya should be Asian but he is the only one where I would think it's a necessity. It's an elite school for heroes, so you could expect people from all around the world. Furthermore, the world of MHA doesn't strike me as particular Asian so few problems there.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Dwayne Johnson as All Might, please!!!!! Just picture it, guys Cool

I was thinking more John Cena.
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Wait... wasn't there already a live-action MHA movie? or am I imagining things, if I remember correctly it was called Sky High.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I find it ironic that the FMA movie was done by Japanese actors yet everyone thought it should have been done by Western actors yet we had Ghost in the Shell done by them instead of Japanese actors.

Personally, I can see more of a diverse cast that is 50/50 on actors from many countries. Let's not forget that the bnha movie did take place in the US. My expectations? None. I always have none or low for every anime to live-action Hollywood movie.

cloudthe23 wrote:
Wait... wasn't there already a live-action MHA movie? or am I imagining things, if I remember correctly it was called Sky High.

Damn. Someone beat me to it on saying Sky High. But it was basically that.
minidynz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this live action adaptation

Hopefully, this actors will play this characters:

Dwayne Johnson as "All Might"
Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (The Actor who played "The Mountain" from Game of Thrones) as "All for One" or Tom Hardy as All for One.
Johnny Depp as Shota Aizawa (Eraserhead) or Jared Leto as Eraserhead.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Hasn’t this already been done? It was called Sky High.

Yeah but that sucked.

It was alright....
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty, so the white washing debate is stopping now please. I've cleaned the thread up. We do not need to go down that path to it's inevitable conclusion of the thread being locked due to everyone yelling at each other. So no more white washing, black washing, yellow wahsing, green washing, or any other types of washing. Thanks.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Dwayne Johnson as All Might, please!!!!! Just picture it, guys Cool

The regular, or skinny version? Razz

And okay, one more "Sky Hi--oh, wait, someone's said that already."
It's sort of a problem in that Japan made MHA basically to satirize their own annoyed cluelessness at the all-American superheroes being shoveled into their country by the bucketful through imports of hit Marvel and DC movies, when they don't really understand the concept in the first place.
Which means the joke doesn't really translate that well to the US, where we all gush over who "our favorite hero" is.

Sky High could be a clever movie for Disney back in '00, when we didn't have any actual genuine comic-book movies to compare them to, but...now we do.
I'm not quite sure where Marvel is going to go after Infinity War and Avengers 4 (even Ant-Man & the Wasp had to have a depressing ending), but it's already hurt the market for "Made-up" superheroes.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
it's going to bomb so badly
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
With how big superhero movies are these days, doing a My Hero Academia live action adaptation just feels like a major no brainer and with that live action Tiger & Bunny movie now most likely dead due to OpenRoad facing bankruptcy, this feels like the next best thing.

As for Legendary getting themselves involved here, let's see how that live action Gundam movie they promise to make comes out first to see if they have what it takes to do good live action adaptations of anime where all previous attempts have failed so far.

Speaking of those comparisons to Sky High, it's about time that Disney is finally moving forward with a sequel because with superhero movies being so big now, I am surprised that they haven't green lit that a long time ago but I guess having the Marvel Cinematic Universe as their biggest and most beloved film franchise right now can easily distract them from that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3