• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 8 Anime Films Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xe4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
I could definitely see Mirai get nominated, seeing as it's Hosoda and distributed by GKids. Could definetly see it not happening too though, difficult competition this year.

Zin5ki wrote:
Would there be any merit to accommodating anime titles within the Best Foreign Language category instead? The contrast between such films and other films in the group would be more pronounced, but at least the playing field might be less uneven.

I'd imagine it's just as difficult to get nominated as an animated film in the foreign film as it is as a foreign film in the animated category, unfortunately. And I'm not sure they'd want to do it, considering they only get one film to submit per country. The only animated film to get nominated for the foreign film category was Waltz with Bashir and ironically enough it lost too a pretty average Japanese film, lol.

I'd love to see a foreign animated film category, but seeing that that the Oscars already can't give enough of a shit about animation in the first place, I doubt that'd happen.
AnimeIsLiterature

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
I don't trust the Oscars anymore. Not after what they did to Koe No Katachi. I won't watch It.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
... Getting nominated has NOT made anime mainstream, and frankly most of us got in

I disagree with both of those. Can you say all or most of anime's current popularity is due to being nominated? Of course not. At the same time, can you say that it being nominated has done absolutely nothing? Imo of course not. It's two different audiences. I don't think Spirited Away paved the way for My Hero Academia fans to get into anime, but I know a lot of people who aren't into anime but are aware of Miyakazi's films and because of them, they don't immediately dismiss anything that looks like anime. Not because they were nominated per se, but because they're presented as "serious" and critically acclaimed "cinema" rather than like an Alvin and the Chipmunks movie so they gave it a look.

The second part is garbage. Maybe you and your friends sat down and were like "I reject western media, what else is there?" But a lot of people were just flipping channels one day. Or they were happy watching Cartoon Network and then anime came on and they didn't change the channel. Or they saw a cool snippet/picture online and dug deeper. Or someone whose opinion they trust put them on to it.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
I admit, part of the reason I got into anime at all was to expand my horizons beyond the standard Disney/Pixar material I mostly grew up with.

I figure if at least one or two of these films get nominated, that could be considered a win. I don't know how useful long-term a nomination would be, though, for the films or their creators.
Sadly I haven't actually seen most of these films being submitted (just Fireworks and the two Yuasa films), but I do at least hope Night is Short can garner some more attention. It's probably my favorite film so far this year.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
Remember, these are only the titles being submitted for competition, before any final screening or judgment.

Ie., if you're the producer of Hotel Transylvania 3, Sgt. Stubby, Sherlock Gnomes, Smallfoot, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies or Dr. Seuss's The Grinch, it never hurts to DREAM. Rolling Eyes
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow; having now seen both Liz and the Blue Bird and Mirai, I get the impression this was a very good year for anime films (not that previous years weren't, necessarily...). I do hope at least a couple of these titles can get nominated, because they deserve more attention.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if Masaaki Yuasa gets a Oscar because he makes amazing stuff and yet most people have no idea who he is. Mamoru Hosoda is starting to get be a bit well known over the years. I'm so sick of Disney and Pixar always taking home everything. I also don't want Isle of Dogs to win because I can't stand Wes Anderson.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2