• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Guys In Anime Raise A Pinky Finger When Talking About Girls?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Didn't you guys know men raise their pinky fingers to make themselves look fancier to women?
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu also uses the "pinkie" symbolism to show Kikuhiko's interest in Sukeroku is romantic, even though he's another man:

https://medium.com/anigay/beyond-canon-gay-30b01b40d67b
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
baratie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:14 am Reply with quote
earthisthering wrote:
Incidentally, in the modern day, the pinky and thumb are the respective words for "woman" and "man" in Japanese Sign Language. I thought that was kind of cool.

What I found interesting perusing through "learn JSL signs" sites was that if said hand (thumb/pinky up) is at heart-level and slightly pushes out, it can mean bf/gf... and furthermore, if the thumb/pinky starts by touching your shoulder before the hand pushes forward, it can mean husband/wife. (it seems different JSL sign sites have variations in gestures so perhaps ymmv)
shosakukan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
Terry wrote:
When asking a man whether he's in a relationship with a woman, male anime characters will make an odd finger-raised gesture, almost always accompanied by a chuckle and/or a leer. What's with that? And is it as rude a gesture as it seems to me?

In the first place, in the Japanese language, the word 'oya-yubi' (thumb) also functions as a slang/argot term which means 'master', 'husband', 'chief', and the like, and it is represented also by an actual thumb. A thumb, which is a stout digit, symbolises manliness and the old man in a house/workplace.
Ko-yubi (little finger) pairs up with oya-yubi (thumb) which means 'the old man', so the Japanese word 'ko-yubi' (little finger) also functions as a slang/argot term which means 'wife', 'one's woman', 'concubine', and the like. It is represented also by an actual little finger, like the gesture you have seen. A little finger, which is literally little, symbolises feminineness and a woman.
The Daigenkai dictionary says:
Quote:
こ-ゆび(名)小指 二 俗ニ、家ノ妻ヲ云フ隱語。(亭主ヲ、おやゆびト云フニ對ス)

I have read Shikitei Sanba's Ukiyoburo (published in 1809-1813) in the original, and you can find the word 'ko-yubi' (little finger) which means 'wife' and the word 'oya-yubi' (thumb) which means 'husband' in Ukiyoburo.
Shikitei Sanba wrote:
べか「おめへン所の小指も派手者だの

おらが內なんざア、親指が是式といふもんだから…

Terry wrote:
And is it as rude a gesture as it seems to me?

To raise a little finger in order to refer to 'one's woman' is a somewhat vulgar gesture,and in Japan it is often regarded as a thing which middle-aged men do in informal/rude mode.
As I have said, the word 'ko-yubi' (little finger) to mean 'one's woman' is a slang/argot term.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
All I can think about while reading this is the time when Patrick told SpongeBob to raise his pinky to be "fancy" around Sandy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2