• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Creator Kohske Asks Scanslators to Stop Sharing Gangsta.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:
Honestly, this is terribly sad.

It's not the artist's responsibility to prevent their work from being pirated, it's up to the distributors and publishers to crack down on it. If they're implying to her the reason they don't pay her much for her work is because of piracy, that's ridiculously scummy.

edits for pronoun correction~

A good chunk of her income is from royalties on volumes sold so piracy affects how much she is compensated regardless as to how well they crack down on it.

Yes, this sentiment isn't to absolve piracy for it's direct effect on the artist getting their money.

The sentiment is to say that if you pay a Publisher/Licensor/Distributor a portion of your intellectual property to ensure profits come back to you for your work by making it widely available for purchase, then it's their responsibility to crack down on the piracy.

While this could very well be Kohske's direct assessment of why money's not coming in (it is a popular opinion), IF BY SOME CHANCE the people handling her work are implying that her profits could be better if it weren't for the people pirating the work... that is not only ridiculously unprofessional, it's morally awful (and honestly, given how frequently artists in japan get the short end of the financial stick... I wouldn't be surprised).

It's like the owner of a company saying "The reason my prices are going up is because of shoplifting!" Not only is that deceptively false, it puts the onus of their own responsibility out of their hands, and into those that are completely innocent (those that have to suffer the price increases, despite not stealing).... and to justify an increased profitability.

EDIT : This is a bit strongly worded so let me clarify that I also don't believe Piracy occurring is the publisher's fault. The only people at fault for piracy are those that steal intellectual property.

But publishers do have a responsibility to do their best to ensure the product sells despite piracy. This is critiquing pushing responsibility down the road.

Last edited by Animegunclub on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Onymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Eh. Sometimes it's 4 to 6 month waits between volumes and then they stop translating it entirely leaving you sitting with 5+ volumes of a title they'll never finish. Then for some series they don't bother reprinting it and you're looking at paying $50+ for a single volume. Or in some cases they'll just refuse to pick up a title because it's too short/long, old and/or niche.

It's also not really helpful to say that scanslations are "low quality", part of the problem is that many of them aren't.

I'm not interested in being helpful to scanslations. Regardless of their quality, they're stolen intellectual property.
Onymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
That's a terrible thing to tell your customers. But it leaves me wondering--is scanlation an issue with manga only? Do other publishers in other countries have problems with people importing their stuff and localizing them for piracy use? I've only heard little bit of it here and there, usually revolving around things like Harry Potter novels and the like.

Is it? "We're trying to make a good product so it will take a while"? How is that a bad message? I'm sure it's a problem with other media as well but I wouldn't be surprised if manga and anime are two of the largest international victims of media piracy.
RahviTheColorful

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Onymous wrote:
teferi wrote:
Eh. Sometimes it's 4 to 6 month waits between volumes and then they stop translating it entirely leaving you sitting with 5+ volumes of a title they'll never finish. Then for some series they don't bother reprinting it and you're looking at paying $50+ for a single volume. Or in some cases they'll just refuse to pick up a title because it's too short/long, old and/or niche.

It's also not really helpful to say that scanslations are "low quality", part of the problem is that many of them aren't.

I'm not interested in being helpful to scanslations. Regardless of their quality, they're stolen intellectual property.

I don't think they're saying it's not helpful to scanlators, but that calling scanlations low quality isn't really an argument against it and in favor of official releases, because they usually aren't really low quality.

Their point is, I think, that people don't want to wait for so many months for the oficial product because they can't see why does it need to take so long, seeing as the pirate releases are fast and just as good.
If they really were low quality, your argument would make more sense, but they're often on par with or even better than official translations.

Whether that justifies anything is a different matter. But we're also talking about motivation and what makes people decide to turn to piracy.
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The worst part about this is the people replying to her and saying that they have to pirate because her manga/so little manga actually gets released in English. But Viz has been releasing Gangsta in English for years now, so it's pretty clear that they're just don't care.
Onymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
RahviTheColorful wrote:
I don't think they're saying it's not helpful to scanlators, but that calling scanlations low quality isn't really an argument against it and in favor of official releases, because they usually aren't really low quality.

Their point is, I think, that people don't want to wait for so many months for the oficial product because they can't see why does it need to take so long, seeing as the pirate releases are fast and just as good.
If they really were low quality, your argument would make more sense, but they're often on par with or even better than official translations.

Whether that justifies anything is a different matter. But we're also talking about motivation and what makes people decide to turn to piracy.

Having seen samples of MANY scanslations, I can tell you they're not. Usually grainy scans and questionable/rushed translations. This argument may have held water in the TokyoPop era but official translations are leagues better than pirated content nowadays.

So, once again, they take longer because they're:

1. Legal and go through the proper checks.
2. Better as a result of that.

But really justification need not play into it. One is legal and supports the artist. One doesn't. The debate honestly stops there.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
RahviTheColorful wrote:

I don't think a majority of people turn to piracy because a good quality scan popped up before it was available in the US, they turn to it because it's a free way to consume media. Even though it's an example for anime, there are subgroups that blatantly rip the content from sites like Crunchyroll and HIDIVE, and they're typically among the most popularly downloaded subs of the show.

And as far as streamlining license acquisition and western distribution by making it easier/faster, I don't know if there's a way that we would actually want that to happen. Across-the-board license agreement templates wouldn't likely be fair to both mega hits like One Piece and indie darlings like My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness. Nor would they likely be advantageous to publishers that want to publish series that are 15+ books long the same way they'd be advantageous to publish a one book series.

There are simply too many variables to address to try to streamline the process, and that's actually a good thing. Saying "If pirates can do it this fast, why can't publishers?" severely undermines the importance of making sure a high quality product is available for us to buy AS WELL AS ensuring the artist gets their cut. Because pirates don't concern themselves with any of that.

They're more concerned about you turning off Adblock+ so they can generate revenue with every click.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Onymous wrote:
Having seen samples of MANY scanslations, I can tell you they're not. Usually grainy scans and questionable/rushed translations. This argument may have held water in the TokyoPop era but official translations are leagues better than pirated content nowadays.

So, once again, they take longer because they're:

1. Legal and go through the proper checks.
2. Better as a result of that.

But really justification need not play into it. One is legal and supports the artist. One doesn't. The debate honestly stops there.

It's a decades old argument, but not all official releases are inherently better. Depending on the company, translators are freelance so different volumes change hands and you often times lose the voice a character once had at the beginning of a series versus the middle. Plus, if you have a translator that is completely unfamiliar with a particular series they're working on, picking up on subtle nuances can be difficult. Gundam has always suffered from this problem stateside (and continues to with Viz and Vertical).

I honestly don't believe this mangaka is getting hit that hard by pirated material. If that was truly the case then there'd be a much more series discussion with publishers over the material (there'd be a lot more shutdowns on sites versus a Twitter rant).
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Onymous wrote:

Given the huge amount of scanlations that still exist to this day, apparently it doesn't stop there.

I don't read Gangsta or know anything about the official translation, but I can assure you there are plenty of God-awful official translations out there that make any kind of statement of "official = better" to be laughable. One of the key benefits of fan translations is you usually have multiple to choose from, some good, some bad.

You forget "proper checks" is why some translations like Detective Conan, Gyakuten Saiban, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh get stuck with awful American names instead of the actual names. Unofficial translations can use the original names without being obligated to. That alone is reason enough for me to resort to fan translations of those products. I refuse to be talked down to by big companies.
Onymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
It's a decades old argument, but not all official releases are inherently better. Depending on the company, translators are freelance so different volumes change hands and you often times lose the voice a character once had at the beginning of a series versus the middle. Plus, if you have a translator that is completely unfamiliar with a particular series they're working on, picking up on subtle nuances can be difficult. Gundam has always suffered from this problem stateside (and continues to with Viz and Vertical).

I honestly don't believe this mangaka is getting hit that hard by pirated material. If that was truly the case then there'd be a much more series discussion with publishers over the material (there'd be a lot more shutdowns on sites versus a Twitter rant).

Are there counterexamples? Sure.

Are licensed translations, on the whole, largely superior scanslations? Especially in the past few years? Absolutely true.

I've seen more issues from scanslators due to poor translations, impressing their will upon the material, or not having the benefit and official translator has of speaking with the publisher and author, than a few aging examples of TokyoPop fudge-ups.

Prime recent examples are the Hisoka/Illumi scandal and the pronoun use in Land of the Lustrous.

It's also very convenient for you to baselessly assume that stealing her work has no negative effect on her when she (and many other mangaka) have publicly stated otherwise.

Last edited by Onymous on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Onymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Given the huge amount of scanlations that still exist to this day, apparently it doesn't stop there.

I don't read Gangsta or know anything about the official translation, but I can assure you there are plenty of God-awful official translations out there that make any kind of statement of "official = better" to be laughable. One of the key benefits of fan translations is you usually have multiple to choose from, some good, some bad.

You forget "proper checks" is why some translations like Detective Conan, Gyakuten Saiban, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh get stuck with awful American names instead of the actual names. Unofficial translations can use the original names without being obligated to. That alone is reason enough for me to resort to fan translations of those products. I refuse to be talked down to by big companies.

It really does, because that's the only thing that actually matters. The author getting paid. You don't like the official translation? Learn Japanese and buy the original tankobon.

You're talking about age-old issues that are largely gone or being improved. In JoJo's case they literally HAVE TO change the names of Stands not to get sued. Regardless of the legitimacy of your concern, though, those "big companies" (they're not all big) are the ones who are bringing the authors work in our language in a way where they actually make money.

You can talk all you want about quality and whether or not it's fair having to suffer through calling someone "Zolo" but, at the end of the day, you're quibbling to justify your own theft from the artist you supposedly care about the integrity of. That's why the argument stops there.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Onymous wrote:

I mean you can say all that but have you worked in manga? Lets say you somehow translate and typeset everything all in one day and have an agreement with the Japanese publisher to send it in for approvals before releasing it digitally or sending it to print then they take a week to get it back to you?

I have not worked in the Manga business specifically, but I do have some firsthand connections and I have worked in similar business. It's all a matter of management.
And as for working with a Japanese publisher:
1) Minor delays like 1 week are no big deal. I'm griping about delays of months if not years.
2) If delays are a problem then that can be addressed in business negotiations for the next time:
We'd love to license this manga, and we have cash in hand to pay. However, we have a hard time selling it unless we can keep a tight release schedule. We need the contract to stipulate a short turnaround on translation checking.
3) If the market prefers fast-but-substandard translations rather than perfect-but-takes-a-year then the publishers should listen and adapt, just like they have for other industries like most household goods or instant food. Love it or hate it, fact is that most people want things now more than they want things as best as they can be.

Quote:

I can definitely understand that people want it now and are willing to steal a low quality version of it rather than wait but that's they're decision to hurt the author and I don't think it's useful to conflate that subject with the official translations being accelerated. Professional manga translators are some of the hardest working people I know.

You're right that they are two different things, but I also think that they go hand-in-hand. A lot of the time the reason why people pirate things is because a legal option doesn't exist (there is no domestic license) or because the legal option is inconvenient (i.e. delayed 6 months). A publisher can reduce piracy by making sure their product is easily purchased and is on time. That's exactly what the music industry did back in the Napster heyday.
RahviTheColorful

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
I don't think a majority of people turn to piracy because a good quality scan popped up before it was available in the US, they turn to it because it's a free way to consume media. Even though it's an example for anime, there are subgroups that blatantly rip the content from sites like Crunchyroll and HIDIVE, and they're typically among the most popularly downloaded subs of the show.

I agree. And that's why I said before that, unfortunately, I doubt combating piracy will really help increase sales that much, by this precise reason. Most people who pirate either can't or won't pay for the content, and simply won't buy it either way. They will just stop consuming before paying.

Also it's not all about the US. I'm not even from an English speaking country. In fact, many official releases here are actually translated and adapted from English releases rather than from the official... which unfortunately sometimes results in terrible translations of translations. Not too often, thankfully.

Animegunclub wrote:
There are simply too many variables to address to try to streamline the process, and that's actually a good thing. Saying "If pirates can do it this fast, why can't publishers?" severely undermines the importance of making sure a high quality product is available for us to buy AS WELL AS ensuring the artist gets their cut. Because pirates don't concern themselves with any of that.

They're more concerned about you turning off Adblock+ so they can generate revenue with every click.

I understand all that (except the last part, which isn't always true. The ones who usually make money are the websites that host the files, not the people who do the scanlating work. Often they do it just because they like the work and want to make it available for everyone when it isn't likely that it'll have official translations anytime soon. I've been part of it before, back when officially translated manga was limited to a couple of widely popular titles) but I know a lot of people don't, so making that more widely known would be helpful, imo.
I've heard people here complaining about how long it takes for Netflix to release things locally that have been out in other countries for a while, but they forget that they'll only release it after it has been properly translated and dubbed in Portuguese, so of course it takes time. People just don't think about that at all, or just don't care - they want it now.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Onymous wrote:
teferi wrote:

Yeah, this pretty much guarantees that you haven't read many scanslations. You have to go out of your way to find a grainy scan and the accuracy of the translation is entirely debatable. I can grab a volume off my bookshelf and find a scanslation that has a virtually identical translation and well cleaned/redrawn scans in minutes. I'm not saying this justifies piracy; I'm saying that if scanslations were objectively worse on the whole piracy would not be the problem it is.

And this is not even getting into the problems I listed which you ignored.

Quote:
It really does, because that's the only thing that actually matters. The author getting paid. You don't like the official translation? Learn Japanese and buy the original tankobon.

Demanding people learn Japanese or **** off doesn't really change anything. The only way to combat piracy is to make buying official releases as convenient as piracy. That's what Crunchyroll/Funi/Sentai/Amazon/Netflix have done for anime and it works.
Onymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Demanding people learn Japanese or **** off doesn't really change anything. The only way to combat piracy is to make buying official releases as convenient as piracy. That's what Crunchyroll/Funi/Sentai/Amazon/Netflix have done for anime and it works.

Obviously that's how CR managed to get the audience to pull away from piracy. Obivously manga publishers can and should find ways to get manga to us faster and more conveniently. Although, as the case with Shonen Jump, when insiders are putting up the scans before the chapter is even released that's literally impossible.

Regardless of all that, the onus is also on us fans to discourage each other from pirating. Why even have a debate on the possible factors encouraging piracy when the author is literally pleading with us not to do it? It comes off like excuses.

Why not instead talk about what we can do as fans to discourage piracy, use legal options, and provide feedback with to the publishers outside of condemning them for strategies they haven't implemented yet. The fact that it's taking money out of the mangaka's pocket is reason enough to ignore all those other factors that are out of our control.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4