• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Planet With

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, unless something truly amazing comes out this fall (or I discover a gem I missed in past seasons), Planet With gets my vote for anime series of the year. CGI issues aside, I thought the visual presentation was solid, the soundtrack was stellar, and the plot overall was excellent. This is easily one of the best shows I've seen in a while.
I also think - besides concerns about Mizukami's dense storytelling style - that Planet With might be a good show for beginners in anime watching. The show has a lot of what might be considered stereotypical quirks of anime stories - mecha, superheroes, maid girls, animal "mascots", and that modern introspective philosophical narrative edge - but the show utilizes it all just about perfectly, displaying what the medium is really capable of at its best.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Planet With was utterly insane, but in the best way possible. I've never seen what was at least a two cour plot condensed down into a single cour successfully! But somehow Mizukami managed without the plot feeling incoherent and tell a truly great mediation about the nature of justice and empathy interspersed with a pretty fun mecha series to boot. That said, I still think Revue Starlight was the better show of the summer season.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
What amazes me about this show is that there's like 3 or even 4 cours worth of plot all packed in 12 episodes, and yet it was all told pretty dang efficiently without feeling rushed. Even the secondary characters got a right amount of attention without feeling left out or tacked on. Hopefully a more prominent production staff gives Mizukami another opportunity for another anime maybe even an adaptation of his works.
poltroon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll be the lone unpopular dissenter here but after seeing all the reviews, I had pretty high expectations. I mostly end up in the WTF camp, not really sure most of the time what was going on or really what motivated anyone that we followed.

The last three episodes are the strongest and it maybe kind of tied things well enough together that I was able to tease out the message and feel a good sense of completion at the end, but the first nine were a little slow going, I thought, and I never felt the compulsion to watch Just One More as I do with my favorites.

Interestingly, I did enjoy the visuals on the dragon and the best WTF moments were definitely the cartoon-plushy style Nebula floating battleships (or whatever they were) with their ridiculous messages. I enjoyed Sensei and Generalissimo too even as they confused the heck out of me. Most likely, I suspect the difference here may be that people who went in expecting nothing were very pleased, while my expectations were super high.

So I'm glad to have watched it but it's not in my top choices for this year even so far.
G_Spark233

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
I'll be the lone unpopular dissenter here but after seeing all the reviews, I had pretty high expectations. I mostly end up in the WTF camp, not really sure most of the time what was going on or really what motivated anyone that we followed.

The last three episodes are the strongest and it maybe kind of tied things well enough together that I was able to tease out the message and feel a good sense of completion at the end, but the first nine were a little slow going, I thought, and I never felt the compulsion to watch Just One More as I do with my favorites.

Interestingly, I did enjoy the visuals on the dragon and the best WTF moments were definitely the cartoon-plushy style Nebula floating battleships (or whatever they were) with their ridiculous messages. I enjoyed Sensei and Generalissimo too even as they confused the heck out of me. Most likely, I suspect the difference here may be that people who went in expecting nothing were very pleased, while my expectations were super high.

So I'm glad to have watched it but it's not in my top choices for this year even so far.

I think the issue here is that the show wasn’t for you considering how many people could easily understand it. This wasn’t exactly a simple show with simple themes. I suggest going for a show that’s a little more simple.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
Most likely, I suspect the difference here may be that people who went in expecting nothing were very pleased, while my expectations were super high.

My expectations were pretty high since I loved all other Mizukami works and I ended up liking this one too, so I don't know. If you're a fan of manga, you could try some of his other works, and maybe just find out if you're not into his general style. He often has very non-serious elements mixed in with the serious ones (the character design in particular) so it can feel quite "WTF" as you mentioned. Or maybe it's the pacing you had issues with - a lot of people mention how it feels like a 2 (or maybe even more) cour show packed in 12 episodes.

There was one episode that I saw a lot of gush about before watching the episode that I felt a little disappointed by, though. But then two weeks later the show had the audacity to have the best episode of the year imo so I think it balanced itself out.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Most likely, I suspect the difference here may be that people who went in expecting nothing were very pleased, while my expectations were super high.

I know this feeling. I find it's pretty useful to go into all anime with a "maybe I'll like it" attitude rather than thinking "this is going to be amazing". Your own enjoyment is a much lower bar to clear than being widely amazing, and it's ultimately more important to your enjoyment of the series anyway.

For me, the CG mechs kept my expectations low, even with Mizukami at the helm, and it delivered about what I'd expected, which was a great story with some weak (although not offensively so) visuals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2