• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Run with the Wind Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toonces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Devalues hidive immensely if they were to enter into some sort of streaming deal TBH, why subscribe in the first place, especially considering how few titles they pick up, and how the titles they do get dont even carry weight enough to really get people to rush out and subscribe anyway, compared to heroaca, and tokyo ghoul, and shingeki.

If they actually reenter the exact same deal as before then I agree. If HiDive is just going to become what The Anime Network was, I'll cancel my sub. I prefer their approach of getting a few of their own separate stream titles, which I feel usually includes a few gems. They have a good library, but if they're going to only have one or two shows no one cares about then it's not worth keeping the sub regularly.

Not that any deal is set in stone outside of the VRV deal, but if they go back to the way things were I'll pass.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Will Funimation even be able to do 15 simuldubs per season now that they are on their own?

They will not have to because I doubt they will get that many shows on their own. I imagine Funimation will get around 10 shows per season going forward.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:
Will Funimation even be able to do 15 simuldubs per season now that they are on their own?

They will not have to because I doubt they will get that many shows on their own. I imagine Funimation will get around 10 shows per season going forward.

Funimation has been on record stating they fully intend to still have the same amount of shows each season. The real question is if they actually meant the same amount of simuldubs. We should know more in winter and spring seasons.

Plus before the crunchyroll partnership they had hit a max of 14-15 simuldubs in one season (summer 2016 I believe)
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

The power of Sony money could enable them to still have enough to attain such a number.

I just hope we dont get a thing where, if its on CR, then Funi is not allowed or uninterested in getting it. Id hate to go back to those days then praying a year or two later a CR exclusive show gets picked up for release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

Funimation has been on record stating they fully intend to still have the same amount of shows each season. The real question is if they actually meant the same amount of simuldubs. We should know more in winter and spring seasons.

That might be their intention, but Crunchyroll also has plenty of money to get a lot of licenses. Each company probably wants to get 25 shows per season, but there are only 35-40 new shows they can choose from. And last time I checked 25+25 does not equal 40.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Run with the Wind is coming to home video.Smile While it's still early to decide if the anime is worth buying I have been enjoying the show so far. It ranks as being my 5th most anticipated show of this season so far when I try it out for the first time (I still have more new anime to try out though so that might change).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
paulchaested

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Serious question: In this particular case, what does the word “license” mean? Does mean Sentai legitimately acquired the master license to this show? Or is this their way of saying “CR sublicensed it to us and we’re distributing it for them”? I was under the impression that CR is the master license holder for this show.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

In summer 2016 (when they were still competing with CR) they had 19 new simulcasts, although not all of those were simuldubs.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Serious question: In this particular case, what does the word “license” mean? Does mean Sentai legitimately acquired the master license to this show? Or is this their way of saying “CR sublicensed it to us and we’re distributing it for them”? I was under the impression that CR is the master license holder for this show.

They can be separate licenses, although I suppose we wouldn't know for sure until the bluray release. If Sentai's box also has the CR logo/credit on it then it's also from CR. Previous titles shared between CR and Sentai were separate with CR licensing the streaming version only from the licensor and Sentai licensing both with home video independently from CR.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

They can be separate licenses, although I suppose we wouldn't know for sure until the bluray release. If Sentai's box also has the CR logo/credit on it then it's also from CR. Previous titles shared between CR and Sentai were separate with CR licensing the streaming version only from the licensor and Sentai licensing both with home video independently from CR.

Right. I suppose we can wait to see the blu rays. It was the only way to tell if CR was the license holder during the partnership with Funi. I know CR used to strictly go for streaming rights only but now they go for the whole package almost all the time now.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

In summer 2016 (when they were still competing with CR) they had 19 new simulcasts, although not all of those were simuldubs.
I just checked, they did have 15 broadcast dubs that season. But the season before that they only licensed 5 new shows because they spent most of their money on My Hero Academia. They also had a few from Aniplex and a few continuing.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

Plus before the crunchyroll partnership they had hit a max of 14-15 simuldubs in one season (summer 2016 I believe)
I don’t know how, especially since Amazon and Netflix have had a bigger presence during the partnership than they did before.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
for a total run of 217.9 km (about 135.4 miles).
I wonder if they will use miles in the dub, or stick to the Japanese measurements.

This brings up a valid point as there are many people in this country who use the metric and many who don't. Considering I have heard metric measurements used in Eng. dubs before, I don't rule out this show's hypothetical Eng. dub using metric measurements.

64BitRatchet, "Space Dandy" was a WInter 2014 simuldub, yes. However, Funi doing a doing at least 2 simuldubs each season started in the Fall 2014. I should have clarified.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This makes me wonder if Crunchyroll will try to set up a deal with HIDIVE like they did with Funimation: subs on Crunchy, dub exclusive on HD.

The problem is that Sentai does not have the capacity to do 15+ simuldubs per season. But a CR-Sentai/HIDIVE partnership seems possible; I just expect Crunchyroll to hire several companies to do dubs.

That is a good question. Sony would be able to provide access through a seat on some production committees, and has the financial means to acquire a lot of shows, but I don't know that they'll want to stick with it long-term if it gets expensive. Crunchyroll is going to want sequels to things licensed during the partnership as bad as Funi does, to say nothing of new titles that both think will be hits, so I could easily see it slipping back into the situation that prompted the partnership where licenses get too expensive. For a while, I could see Sony wanting to keep its new acquisition going by providing the necessary funds, but I don't count on it to last.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

That might be their intention, but Crunchyroll also has plenty of money to get a lot of licenses. Each company probably wants to get 25 shows per season, but there are only 35-40 new shows they can choose from. And last time I checked 25+25 does not equal 40.

While this situation is far from ideal as others have said funimation has shown the capability plus have Sony in their corner which is a key to an enormous pipeline in Japan.

Plus to help answer your question about number of titles remember that alot of titles crunchyroll gets are shared titles from others (via media shows, aniplex shows) there's no guarantee that those companies won't also start sharing with funimations new service with Sony. So that would also potentially help with the numbers. That's why I was saying they never said the same amount of simuldubs just same amount of shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2