• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Zombie Land Saga Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, on the one hand it looks like a multimedia parody of Idolmaster, but on the other hand, I'm surprised that this show relies solely on the jokes and charisma of the characters, and not on any fanservice at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This has been my experience with the "This Week in Anime" articles lately:

(reads article title, "Is [show X] Worth Watching?") Hey, I've never seen [show X] and I'd like to know whether it's worth watching.

(sees spoiler warning) Well, I guess I'll never know.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
TWIA asked once if Inuyashiki was worth watching.

They said it wasn't.

I watched it anyways.

I loved it.

Don't trust TWIA when it comes to what anime you'll find worth the watch. Trust your own judgement.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

They said it wasn't.

I watched it anyways.

I loved it.

Don't trust TWIA when it comes to what anime you'll find worth the watch. Trust your own judgement.

You understand that for this to work, you need a ton of time and money. Most people don't have the time to watch everything that exist.

I think TWIA as a useful place between a spoiler free review and spoiler filled review (or maybe critique is a better word then). If you've already read the first episode review and weren't interested in the show then you won't watch the show anyway, so getting spoiled on a show you weren't going to watch isn't a problem. But if you do read it and it sparks your interest because the show went in a different direction than the first episode lead you to believe your only spoiled for the first couple of episodes which is rarely a big problem.

You can always wait for a proper review (although those usually end up spoiling the first few episode anyway. And review ultimately won't work for everyone, you need to read the critique itself to see if it's things that bother you. I though Inuyashiki was terrible, squandering an interesting premise on an uninteresting antagonist, but that's because that type of antagonist just bore me and he was a big part of the show. The episodic review of it were rather positive because the person doing them found that kind of antagonist interesting.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
This is my favorite show for this season.

It has surprisingly superb animation quality - animation lacking in a lot of simulcasts being something that has been touched upon frequently as of late, has a tremendous amount of comedy that doesn't rely on any major cliche's or similar trickery (there's no fan-service, which it seems like EVERYTHING has nowadays), and seemingly never really has a dull moment. Some of the comedic elements can come off as predictable, but they're funny enough to overshadow any predictability.

I also like that it's kind of an unexpected genre. We usually associate zombie -anything with horror or similar despair genres. It's somewhat refreshing to see an idol/music series use a horror element without the horror.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I like it.

Please bring back the metal or the rap...

Or explore other genres... like, I don't know... Classical and Opera and the techno electronica clubbing scene.

Also something on an American Idol show please. Get dem audience votes.

And if that doesn't work, there's always rakugo...
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Well, on the one hand it looks like a multimedia parody of Idolmaster, but on the other hand, I'm surprised that this show relies solely on the jokes and charisma of the characters, and not on any fanservice at all.

Zombie fanservice...

You do know that now someone will do it? Then we'll forever thank you for giving us panty shots of rotting flesh!
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
#888772 wrote:
This has been my experience with the "This Week in Anime" articles lately:

(reads article title, "Is [show X] Worth Watching?") Hey, I've never seen [show X] and I'd like to know whether it's worth watching.

(sees spoiler warning) Well, I guess I'll never know.

Spoiler-free consensus:

Steve: "So yeah, I dig the zombie idol anime."

Michelle: "So long as the show continues to be different, I think I'm on board with it."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The show is cheesy, lame, and stupid but I think that is the point of the show and I think i might be self-ware of how stupid it is.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Zombie fanservice...

You do know that now someone will do it? Then we'll forever thank you for giving us panty shots of rotting flesh!

Please let me change your life for the better
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:52 am Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Zombie fanservice...

Girls interact enough outside their zombie-look so that you can add it. Starting from the standard ecchi, and ending with any yuri-ish content. Not to mention the fact that they could turn the Producer into some expy of Rito.

Therefore, I am glad that the writers hold the level and at the time of the fourth episode it looks more like a funny comedy, and not any pervert entertainment.
Mhora

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
Bring the spoilers! I for one enjoy articles that actually discusses these shows in detail. Lovely discussions each week
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

They said it wasn't.

I watched it anyways.

I loved it.

The problem is, "is ___ worth watching?" is a yes-or-no question that isn't really a yes-or-no question. Most of the time it is highly dependent on personal taste and tolerance for certain subjects and/or themes. And I feel like most of the time, TWIA does a pretty good job of exploring that. Like there are even a number of shows they've given a resounding "watch this!" to where I was like, "eh, still not really interested". It's more valuable to pay attention to their arguments for/against a show, than to take their opinions as a definite "watch this!" or "don't watch this!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Spoiler-free consensus:

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

They said it wasn't.

I watched it anyways.

I loved it.

I once saw an interview with a movie reviewer who said his job wasn't to be "right", but to be "consistent". So, if you ALWAYS disagree with a certain reviewer, those reviews are still useful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2