• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BBC Honors Spirited Away, Akira Kurosawa in List of Greatest Foreign Language Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Spirited Away is totally a predictable choice to go with but as Myzaki's most accessible and successful film, it probably would be first picked over Princess Mononoke and the rest. And it's great film, so it does belongs there.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Spirited Away is totally a predictable choice to go with but as Myzaki's most accessible and successful film, it probably would be first picked over Princess Mononoke and the rest. And it's great film, so it does belongs there.

Spirited Away was "the first film they should have shown unaccustomed US audiences", instead of the disastrous but contractually-obligated Mononoke, for so many reasons.
Even starting with Howl's Moving Castle would have stunk up Hayao's US debut, and it's just a good thing we had Spirited in between.

(And just in case anyone doesn't know by now, Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" is just one of the best darn action movies ever made, Yul Brynner cowboys notwithstanding.
Three and a half-hours long, and I guarantee two hours will go by before you even think of looking at your watch.) Cool
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

BBC also posted each individual critic's list, and there actually were several other anime that got votes, even if they didn't get enough to make the rankings: Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, Ghost in the Shell, Paprika, Angel's Egg, End of Evangelion, and a few other Miyazakis (including Princess Mononoke). No votes for anything by Hosoda or Shinkai, though.
HannoX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
All four of Kurosawa's films deserve to be on the list, although I think I would have put Rashomon at #1 with Seven Samurai at #2 and Ikiru deserves to be much higher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1