Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena Director Kunihiko Ikuhara's Sarazanmai Anime Unveils Staff, Cast With 5th 'Linked' Promo


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 156
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
That is, the policemans aka gay couple, will be side characters? Then I don’t understand what this show will be about. This is not shonen and not shoujo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dian Z



Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 287
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I believe it's an anime about kappa. Anyway, so digging the music and atmosphere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CardamonPastel



Joined: 01 Oct 2016
Posts: 89
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Sara confirmed to be a supporting character. I hope they reveal her full design soon. I'm so excited for this. Can I just sleep until April?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarutoClown93



Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
That is, the policemans aka gay couple, will be side characters? Then I don’t understand what this show will be about. This is not shonen and not shoujo?


It's a josei title from what I can tell, even the manga adaptation that was announced many months ago will be serialized in a BL magazine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
capt_bunny



Joined: 31 May 2015
Posts: 90
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel a reference towards Free!...... Because Reo and Mabu are both done by Sousuke and Rin annnnnd were cops in Free!'s future fish AU.

I'm not the only one that noticed this, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SejinPK



Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 101
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if there are translations for Reo's and Mabu's lines in the new trailer? The previous news post in which Reo was the new addition to the trailer didn't translate his lines, either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueOla



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 101
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
Does anyone know if there are translations for Reo's and Mabu's lines in the new trailer? The previous news post in which Reo was the new addition to the trailer didn't translate his lines, either.


https://twitter.com/shipperinjapan/status/1058043379143983104 There's a full translation thread right here. Please credit the author if you feature it anywhere!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarutoClown93



Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Ikuhara working on a noitaminA show? Seems interesting.

Last edited by TarutoClown93 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 156
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:
It's a josei title from what I can tell, even the manga adaptation that was announced many months ago will be serialized in a BL magazine.


As I understand it, this is a spin-off, not a direct manga adaptation. In any case, the character design is too similar to seinen, which is trying to seem shonen.

@TarutoClown93 In my opinion, this is more like generic shonen. Or at least attempt to look like it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueOla



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 101
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:42 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
TarutoClown93 wrote:
It's a josei title from what I can tell, even the manga adaptation that was announced many months ago will be serialized in a BL magazine.


As I understand it, this is a spin-off, not a direct manga adaptation. In any case, the character design is too similar to seinen, which is trying to seem shonen.

@TarutoClown93 In my opinion, this is more like generic shonen. Or at least attempt to look like it.


>generic shounen
>Ikuhara

Choose one
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CardamonPastel



Joined: 01 Oct 2016
Posts: 89
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
TarutoClown93 wrote:
It's a josei title from what I can tell, even the manga adaptation that was announced many months ago will be serialized in a BL magazine.


As I understand it, this is a spin-off, not a direct manga adaptation. In any case, the character design is too similar to seinen, which is trying to seem shonen.

@TarutoClown93 In my opinion, this is more like generic shonen. Or at least attempt to look like it.


The spin-off is pretty much a prequel. Also, based on the trailers alone, THIS doesn't look anything like a generic shounen unless your idea of shounen is different from mine. I can imagine a possible coming of age story from this for the boys, but generic anything isn't something Ikuhara does. Even he'd find a way to make something intriguing out of the blandest, most overdone concepts. But you can't gauge what this Anime will be about by just looking at it. Only thing generic about it so far are the basic character designs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1dbad



Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Posts: 408
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:37 am Reply with quote
Seems the voice we heard in those teaser trailers back in March was the kappa. And he's prettier than I thought he'd be with a voice that deep, haha. I wonder why Ikuhara opted for a mythical animal mascot this time around?

The primarily male cast seems more seinen to me, but josei is a genre in need of more anime titles, so I'm fine if it ends up being that instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 524
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Can we just stop trying to force everything into "shounen/shoujo/seinen/josei" boxes? For one these are not genres, have never been genres. And two, while they have been a "thing" way back, by now the lines are so blurred there's basically no difference aside of some magazines/authors who are working in certain well-defined genres for very well-defined target audiences.
Both men and women consume all sorts of manga and anime! Women have been reading manga ostensibly for a male target audience since the beginning of time, the only thing that changed in the past years is that publishers and production committees have finally accepted this fact and decided to broaden their publications' and works' horizons to be more appealing for female readers. I mean...

Shimizu Reiko's Himitsu -Top Secret- manga, a visceral, often very gory action-thriller with two male protagonists is shoujo - it was serialized in Melody, a shoujo magazine. (Hell, the manga for the currently airing Banana Fish was also serialized in a shoujo magazine.)

Inoue Satou's 10 Dance, which was originally published under a BL label and does indeed have m/m content? is seinen, being currently serialized in Young Magazine 3rd, a seinen magazine. (The same magazine also has HUMINT, a sort of buddy-cop action thriller story that very obviously caters to a usually female audience, including very shippable main characters, one of whom is bisexual and crossdresses as part of his job, etc.)

Hirakawa Aya's Kunisaki Izumo no Jijou, a manga about a very feminine-looking boy who ends up (roped into) acting in kabuki as onnagata, regularly, albeit unwillingly, crossdresses off-stage as well, and actually ends up in a non-downplayed, not played for joke, actual romantic relationship with another male member of the cast - shounen, it was serialized in Weekly Shounen Sunday.

Asakura George's Dance Dance Danseur, a manga about a boy pursuing his dream of becoming a star ballet dancer - seinen, being serialized in Big Comic Spirits.

Furuya Usamaru's Amane Gymnasium, a dramedy about a dollmaker who tries to act out her classic shoujo type BL story with her dolls and it actually turns real (long story) - seinen, serialized in Morning Two. (Morning Two also has Tada Yumi's Red Velvet which is, well. It just started but it's Tada Yumi so yeah.)

And so on and so forth, most general publications nowadays try and target both genders and wide age groups. Sure, there are magazines that are catering to well-defined target demographics but by and large a magazines' content is now a lot more defined by the individual magazine's profile (eg. Jump manga tend to be one way, Shounen Magazine manga tend to be another way, Gessan tends to have all sorts of weird manga that wouldn't fit elsewhere, etc. - magazines define their own target demographics) rather than strictly gender and/or age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SejinPK



Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 101
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
SejinPK wrote:
Does anyone know if there are translations for Reo's and Mabu's lines in the new trailer? The previous news post in which Reo was the new addition to the trailer didn't translate his lines, either.


https://twitter.com/shipperinjapan/status/1058043379143983104 There's a full translation thread right here. Please credit the author if you feature it anywhere!


Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 156
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
And so on and so forth, most general publications nowadays try and target both genders and wide age groups. Sure, there are magazines that are catering to well-defined target demographics but by and large a magazines' content is now a lot more defined by the individual magazine's profile (eg. Jump manga tend to be one way, Shounen Magazine manga tend to be another way, Gessan tends to have all sorts of weird manga that wouldn't fit elsewhere, etc. - magazines define their own target demographics) rather than strictly gender and/or age.


If you are talking about Kunisaki Izumo no Jijou, then firstly, otokonoko works are common for men's magazines, and secondly, its publication in shonen magazine was considered a unique phenomenon, and her fans were mostly girls. But if you want to say that the male homosexuality is a “female theme”, then seinen is not afraid to use it, especially when it comes to the already mentioned otokonoko or serious LGBT works like Bokura no Hentai or Shimanami Tasogare.

Likewise, the presence of male protagonists is quite common for shoujo, especially if the work involves a certain bromance. Not to mention the fact that I am very funny to hear that the famous Shonen Jump bishonen syndrome is a sufficient reason to consider the manga of this magazine to be gender neutral.

In any case, such division help very well to understand what, at least, to expect from the work ahead.

CardamonPastel wrote:
The spin-off is pretty much a prequel. Also, based on the trailers alone, THIS doesn't look anything like a generic shounen unless your idea of shounen is different from mine. I can imagine a possible coming of age story from this for the boys, but generic anything isn't something Ikuhara does. Even he'd find a way to make something intriguing out of the blandest, most overdone concepts. But you can't gauge what this Anime will be about by just looking at it. Only thing generic about it so far are the basic character designs.


In this case, I'm talking about design. I literally don't know anything about the plot, so I can't comment on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group