• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena Director Kunihiko Ikuhara's Sarazanmai Anime Unveils Staff, Cast With 5th 'Linked' Promo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
If you are talking about Kunisaki Izumo no Jijou, then firstly, otokonoko works are common for men's magazines,

Except, Kunisaki Izumo is not an otokonoko manga. Like, at all. (Let's just say I've read enough of those to know.) There's some jokes with that overtone, but they're not prevalent.

#HayamiLover wrote:
and secondly, its publication in shonen magazine was considered a unique phenomenon, and her fans were mostly girls.

Any sources by what you refer to as "considered"? Also, duh, obviously it was mostly read by girls (although if you read the 2ch/etc. conversations while it was running, there were many guys as well, also a lot of people were expecting Izumo to turn out to have been a girl all along) - but for that matter it fit very well into Sunday's profile and wasn't out of place among all the other manga in the magazine. Anyway, the point I was making is that a shounen magazine was running a manga with themes that a lot of people would immediately associate with "shoujo" and actually, it wasn't all that much of a big deal. And while Kunisaki Izumo is kind of an extreme example, shounen and seinen magazines diversifying and trying to target and include female readers is not rare at all. Most ostensibly shounen magazines can be pretty much considered unisex at this point, and many ostensibly shounen manga take great pains to be appealing for female readers.

There was a point in time when Rurouni Kenshin was jokingly called "Shounen Jump's shoujo manga." Today nobody would understand this joke, attitudes have changed so much. So many manga that are just pretty much unisex by default, and there's no more editorial pressure to include Trope X or Character Type Y that appeal to specifically male readers. (I think it was WSJ perhaps? or Shounen Magazine? that had a short period where it tried to go "back to its roots" and publish Manga For Boys Only, We Want No Icky Girls Reading This Thankyouverymuch. Whichever magazine it was, they abandoned the idea shortly.)

#HayamiLover wrote:
But if you want to say that the male homosexuality is a “female theme”, then seinen is not afraid to use it, especially when it comes to the already mentioned otokonoko or serious LGBT works like Bokura no Hentai or Shimanami Tasogare.

That wasn't what I was saying, though... I was making the point that a lot of manga that people here would consider "shoujo" or "josei" or "seinen" are actually something completely different, and so trying to stuff things into boxes based on arbitrarily decided values that the manga industry has, by and large, moved on from by now - is pointless.

#HayamiLover wrote:
In any case, such division help very well to understand what, at least, to expect from the work ahead.

Absolutely not. Having preconceptions of shoujo/shounen/etc. as genres is I think pretty misleading and can be pretty harmful. For example, many people have this idea that "shoujo" is crappy pink romances and/or it's for girls and thus it's inferior by default). If I told you that I have a great, exciting shoujo manga, what would you expect? Not Himitsu that's for sure. Similarly, If I told you that I have this great seinen manga called Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori or Poco's Udon World, and you built your expectations for it based on the traits that people commonly associate with "seinen" you'd end up very confused. And there are all those great shoujo sci-fi manga that a lot of people can't even imagine existing because "how could shoujo be sci-fi?" and "but it's not frilly pink romance, this must be josei or seinen" etc.

People should finally accept that shoujo/shounen/etc. are target demographics not genres, and just because something is say "shounen" or "shoujo" or "seinen" it doesn't really mean anything by default. The actual genres are what people should be looking at - once you have a grasp of that then yes, it might be helpful to know what the work's main target audience is. But when you know nothing about the work yet and you already try categorizing it...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out what this is even about. Not having any kind of story details bothers me, like they're just trying to sell it solely on the staff and cast. I'm very premise-driven as a viewer. If I don't like a premise, there's a very low possibility I'll watch it. I know I should trust Ikuhara, but Yurikuma got old after a few episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Absolutely not. Having preconceptions of shoujo/shounen/etc. as genres is I think pretty misleading and can be pretty harmful. For example, many people have this idea that "shoujo" is crappy pink romances and/or it's for girls and thus it's inferior by default). If I told you that I have a great, exciting shoujo manga, what would you expect? Not Himitsu that's for sure. Similarly, If I told you that I have this great seinen manga called Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori or Poco's Udon World, and you built your expectations for it based on the traits that people commonly associate with "seinen" you'd end up very confused. And there are all those great shoujo sci-fi manga that a lot of people can't even imagine existing because "how could shoujo be sci-fi?" and "but it's not frilly pink romance, this must be josei or seinen" etc.

People should finally accept that shoujo/shounen/etc. are target demographics not genres, and just because something is say "shounen" or "shoujo" or "seinen" it doesn't really mean anything by default. The actual genres are what people should be looking at - once you have a grasp of that then yes, it might be helpful to know what the work's main target audience is. But when you know nothing about the work yet and you already try categorizing it...

Forgive me for saying this but do you need a snickers?

Not many people actually think shoujo is "pink" and "frilly" today. Thanks to the internet, we have much more knowledge to manga, anime, and so much more. A lot of people are gonna say genres because they even put it as the genres in the search. I don't think it's harmful at all. Normally people say "shoujo romance" or "seinen romance" which is what I see more. I like knowing something is "shoujo" and it's something you normally don't see! X/1999 had action and gore yet it was in a shoujo magazine. That's just what I think.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:15 am Reply with quote
@capt_bunny My opponent has a rather peculiar concept of genres. For example, as you see, he believes that it is unusual for a shoujo to have a male protagonist. Probably Natsume's note is also some kind of wrong shoujo.

SHD wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:
If you are talking about Kunisaki Izumo no Jijou, then firstly, otokonoko works are common for men's magazines,

Except, Kunisaki Izumo is not an otokonoko manga. Like, at all. (Let's just say I've read enough of those to know.) There's some jokes with that overtone, but they're not prevalent.

"definitely not yaoi" story in a men's magazine that talks about the relationship between a shounen boy and a very feminine boy-crossdresser. Yep, never otokonoko, lol.

SHD wrote:
That wasn't what I was saying, though... I was making the point that a lot of manga that people here would consider "shoujo" or "josei" or "seinen" are actually something completely different, and so trying to stuff things into boxes based on arbitrarily decided values that the manga industry has, by and large, moved on from by now - is pointless.

The fact that seinen is not afraid of those themes that you associate with a female audience does not mean that these definitions are meaningless. It only means that your notions about genres are very stereotypical and you get confused when the tags of the work do not correspond to your prejudices.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

You confuse warm with soft. The stereotypes of stupid people have nothing to do with the demographics or the genres themselves. If a people believes that there can be no male protagonist in shoujo and is surprised that such a show is a shoujo, then this is their problem, not a shoujo.

SHD wrote:
Any sources by what you refer to as "considered"? Also, duh, obviously it was mostly read by girls (although if you read the 2ch/etc. conversations while it was running, there were many guys as well, also a lot of people were expecting Izumo to turn out to have been a girl all along) - but for that matter it fit very well into Sunday's profile and wasn't out of place among all the other manga in the magazine. Anyway, the point I was making is that a shounen magazine was running a manga with themes that a lot of people would immediately associate with "shoujo" and actually, it wasn't all that much of a big deal. And while Kunisaki Izumo is kind of an extreme example, shounen and seinen magazines diversifying and trying to target and include female readers is not rare at all. Most ostensibly shounen magazines can be pretty much considered unisex at this point, and many ostensibly shounen manga take great pains to be appealing for female readers.

There was a point in time when Rurouni Kenshin was jokingly called "Shounen Jump's shoujo manga." Today nobody would understand this joke, attitudes have changed so much. So many manga that are just pretty much unisex by default, and there's no more editorial pressure to include Trope X or Character Type Y that appeal to specifically male readers. (I think it was WSJ perhaps? or Shounen Magazine? that had a short period where it tried to go "back to its roots" and publish Manga For Boys Only, We Want No Icky Girls Reading This Thankyouverymuch. Whichever magazine it was, they abandoned the idea shortly.)

Require sources for popular rumor. What a cheap trick. Not to mention the fact that you yourself describe the obvious reaction of the guys to this story as BL.

Secondly, I will have to repeat again - what you mentioned is Shonen Jump bishonen syndrome. It has nothing to do with writing gender-neutral stories or trying to make a magazine gender-neutral. This is just a tendency to add attractive elements for girls in initially shonen work. A lot of josei and shoujo works like Sailor Moon are quite popular among men, primarily because of the presence of tropes and themes appealing to men in them, but this does not make this works gender-neutral.

With this, I’ll end our conversation, because I don’t have much time to explain obvious things in response to strange logical conclusions like "if a men's magazine has a noticeable female fanbase, then its works is gender-neutral".
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
My opponent has a rather peculiar concept of genres. For example, as you see, he believes that it is unusual for a shoujo to have a male protagonist. Probably Natsume's note is also some kind of wrong shoujo.

Oh, for chrissakes.
For one, it's "she". I'm a woman.
Also: WHAT. I never once said that it's unusual for shoujo to have a male protagonist. Instead of running away from this conversation, would you please point out where in my posts did you get that idea from? Seriously, where?
Incidentally: almost all of my favorite shoujo manga have male main characters.

#HayamiLover wrote:
SHD wrote:

"definitely not yaoi" story in a men's magazine that talks about the relationship between a shounen boy and a very feminine boy-crossdresser. Yep, never otokonoko, lol.

lol indeed. You know, one of the differences between us is that one of us has actually read this manga and is not talking out of their backside. Hint: it's not you. (Just a few things you might not know: the manga is not about the relationship at all, it's not "definitely not yaoi" considering the relationship is not no-homo'd, Izumo hates crossdressing and he only looks feminine, otherwise he has a very manly personality and language, and I could go on. Also, wtf is a "shounen boy"? Boy boy?)

#HayamiLover wrote:
SHD wrote:
The fact that seinen is not afraid of those themes that you associate with a female audience does not mean that these definitions are meaningless. It only means that your notions about genres are very stereotypical and you get confused when the tags of the work do not correspond to your prejudices.

The fact is that nobody was talking about being "afraid". I was talking about many seinen (and shounen) magazines having broadened their horizons to include female readers. Are you seriously suggesting that 10 Dance is in YanMaga3rd because the magazine is reaching out to woke male readers who are entirely comfortable reading BL, and not because they thought it was a manga that could bring in new readers from a different target demographics?

Last edited by SHD on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Secondly, I will have to repeat again - what you mentioned is Shonen Jump bishonen syndrome. It has nothing to do with writing gender-neutral stories or trying to make a magazine gender-neutral. This is just a tendency to add attractive elements for girls in initially shonen work.

"Shounen Jump bishonen syndrome" is not a thing that exists. For one, what you describe is not something that happens only in Jump manga, and two, what about all those mangaka whose work is already appealing to a wide and general audience regardless of that audience's gender, because of the story and the characters, and not because pretty boys or whatever. Fullmetal Alchemist is a shounen manga with a huge, huge female following - would you say it's because of all the pretty boys in the cast?

Also, you're saying that there is a tendency to take a manga ostensibly for boys... and add elements to it that make it appealing for girls... so that girls would also read that manga... making it a manga that targets both genders. Yes, technically its label is "shounen" because it's in a shounen magazine. But in practice it's targeting both genders. Which makes it... wait for it... unisex. Gender-neutral, if you please.

#HayamiLover wrote:
With this, I’ll end our conversation, because I don’t have much time to explain obvious things in response to strange logical conclusions like "if a men's magazine has a noticeable female fanbase, then its works is gender-neutral".

Which is not actually what I said. I said that the magazine itself is gender-neutral. A, say, seinen magazine can have works that target primarily men and works that target primarily women (and works that target both). The point I'm trying to make is that it's pointless looking at the meager info we have and be like "so is it shoujo or shounen or josei or seinen?! what should we expect?!" because even if it's either or the other or another or yet another, it could still be literally anything.

But hey, if you're not willing to actually listen to what I'm saying there's no point in having a discussion.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
But hey, if you're not willing to actually listen to what I'm saying there's no point in having a discussion.

If by “you don’t want to listen,” you understand that I’m already tired of your walls of text, twisted logic, arrogant communication style and as if deliberately absurd distortion of what I am telling you, then yes, I don’t want to listen to you. So, I'd rather prefer to finish the discussion than spend a lot of time on a detailed analysis of each of your phrases.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
SHD wrote:

If by “you don’t want to listen,” you understand that I’m already tired of your walls of text, twisted logic, arrogant communication style and as if deliberately absurd distortion of what I am telling you, then yes, I don’t want to listen to you. So, I'd rather prefer to finish the discussion than spend a lot of time on a detailed analysis of each of your phrases.

....says the one who talked down to me and claimed I said things that I never said (and quoted walls of text). Okay, then, have a nice day.
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party but I needed this anime yesterday. I'm already seeing speculation on the two policemen since they have their own manga and I can't wait to see how it connects (ha) to the anime. Like compared to the manga they look a bit older and more serious? So intrigued. Also I'm seeing connections and desire as the main themes for the anime? HMM sounds gay.

I'm getting a male YuriKuma vibe from all this. Maybe it will do something similar but from a male perspective?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2