• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Reveals Partial List of Anime Leaving Service on November 9, Tentative List of Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Crunchyroll had railgun? Never knew

Since early December 2016, in fact.

I often see people in the forums that ask for something to be on CR that Funimation actually brought over. Just the other day, someone in the US was asking for all of Slayers (also on CR via Funimation).

I have to wonder what small percentage of people on CR browse their full alphabetical list once in a while to see what they might have missed.

Kadmos1 wrote:

In theur fansub days, they might have had some of Index.

I remember beginning to view the first series there, but as the half way point was at the beginning of 2009, people had to go elsewhere to complete the series (unless they waited the years it took before Funimation licensed and released it).
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
JustStopPlz wrote:
loveliver wrote:
Now about that Re:Zero dub... if Funimation is going to cancel Part 2's release, then I guess Part 2's dub can premiere ON CRUNCHYROLL then?

I'm sure their is a legally binding contract keeps Funimation from doing that. (The terms of the BD release timeframe are not going to be the same as the streaming one.) But you better buy any CrunchyFun BDs while you can since who knows how long they will be available for and it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll go out of print once the contracted time is over.

Crunchyroll is going to have to find a new BD distributor to the rest of their series unless they are planning on going for digital-only releases or maybe even streaming-only. The last thing I knew AT&T/Otter Media did have a BD distribution company unless one is about to bought by them in the coming months.

They have Warner Brothers, who already distributes for Viz. I’m sure they can handle distribution for CR as well. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they started working with Sentai again, especially considering the two are already mending fences.
If Viz and Warner Brothers work together does that mean we might see more Viz titles come to Crunchyroll and VRV?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
JustStopPlz wrote:
Crunchyroll is going to have to find a new BD distributor to the rest of their series unless they are planning on going for digital-only releases or maybe even streaming-only. The last thing I knew AT&T/Otter Media did have a BD distribution company unless one is about to bought by them in the coming months.

They have Warner Brothers, who already distributes for Viz. I’m sure they can handle distribution for CR as well. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they started working with Sentai again, especially considering the two are already mending fences.

I mean, it has to be Sentai; they are the ideal disc distribution partner. I will be very surprised if it is not Sentai. Crunchyroll has even started adding content from them. There is no reason to panic about who is physically distributing CR anime.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Releasing stuff themselves would give them more freedom to do what they want and not have to work to someone else's tune.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Highly suggest watching Nichijou if nothing else if interested. The only alternative once it's gone is the $50 blu ray since Funimation never put the series up for streaming on their site.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Good news for dub fans who only had CR, bad news for pretty much everyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a legal rights issues expert so I'm a bit confused as to why Crunchyroll's streaming rights would effect Funimation's home video rights to those titles? I always thought the home video rights were separate from streaming rights.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Dang, there's a lot of good stuff going... Anime cry

S'long Noragami, Blood Blockade Battlefront etc.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
So it begins… That's a bummer. Nothing really really essential on that list for me, but stuff I considered watching (just didn't have time yet)

Let's see what happens in the future.

Thanks a lot Sony…
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not a legal rights issues expert so I'm a bit confused as to why Crunchyroll's streaming rights would effect Funimation's home video rights to those titles? I always thought the home video rights were separate from streaming rights.

More often than not, the rights are bundled together. That’s why CrunchyRoll’s logo appears on several of the titles home video releases. Funimation is only acting as a home video distributor for the titles that CR has the master license to, and Funimation was sublicensing streaming rights from them for the shows that were dubbed.

It’s fairly rare for the master license holder in North America to have just home video or just streaming licenses. Shows like Pop Team Epic are exceptions, but don’t happen often.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I mean, it has to be Sentai; they are the ideal disc distribution partner. I will be very surprised if it is not Sentai. Crunchyroll has even started adding content from them. There is no reason to panic about who is physically distributing CR anime.

Technically stuff was added to VRV, not crunchyroll. While they are owned by the same company, it's still slightly different, and more beneficial to HiDive if I understand it correctly. Unless I missed something.

Either way, Crunchyroll has the money, and had plans to distribute themselves. I expect them to start doing things on their own. Cuts out middle men and avoids any issues down the road.

At most, low-tier series may be handed out, but for big things like the upcoming Shield Hero, they'll probably handle it on their own.

Vannil wrote:
I wonder if all those dubbed titles listed are leaving Funi then, if so, that is going to be a lot of lost content, especially since it is a partial list.

Crunchyroll said that anything that aired during the partnership should still be available for streaming, specifically citing MHA. I'm assuming Funimation will be able to keep the streaming rights to anything that they dubbed themselves.

But even if they do keep the streaming rights, this is a huge blow to them unless they in turn get the subs for those shows (not likely). The content won't be exclusive, and will be available on their biggest competitor's website. The deal that Funiroll had honestly seems like it was massively stacked in Crunchyroll's favor.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Technically stuff was added to VRV, not crunchyroll. While they are owned by the same company, it's still slightly different, and more beneficial to HiDive if I understand it correctly. Unless I missed something.

I think what angelmcazares was talking about when he mentioned CR starting to add content from Sentai was due to this.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I think what angelmcazares was talking about when he mentioned CR starting to add content from Sentai was due to this.

Ah, I missed that.

Interesting, although I think it's also worth pointing out that those are kind of small or insignificant shows. I'm curious to see if any of their good/popular shows start popping up on Crunchyroll. It'd be a death blow to HiDive if they did.
Johnamine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:

Ah, I missed that.

Interesting, although I think it's also worth pointing out that those are kind of small or insignificant shows. I'm curious to see if any of their good/popular shows start popping up on Crunchyroll. It'd be a death blow to HiDive if they did.

Sentai/HiDive would not do that for nothing. They will get something good in return.

By the way, Crunchyroll may not have enough resource to "go bigger". In fact, Crunchyroll is in danger of being killed. AT&T/Warner are killing several of their streaming sites recently, it would not be surprise if they decide to kill Crunchyroll.

(Afterall, AT&T/Warner plan to launch a major streaming service site in 2019; AT&T/Warner wouldn't want to keep Crunchyroll to compete with the major streaming service site.)
http://www.economist.com/business/2018/11/03/hbo-will-lead-at-and-ts-challenge-to-netflix
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:27 am Reply with quote
Johnamine wrote:

Sentai/HiDive would not do that for nothing. They will get something good in return.

By the way, Crunchyroll may not have enough resource to "go bigger". In fact, Crunchyroll is in danger of being killed. AT&T/Warner are killing several of their streaming sites recently, it would not be surprise if they decide to kill Crunchyroll.

(Afterall, AT&T/Warner plan to launch a major streaming service site in 2019; AT&T/Warner wouldn't want to keep Crunchyroll to compete with the major streaming service site.)
http://www.economist.com/business/2018/11/03/hbo-will-lead-at-and-ts-challenge-to-netflix

I wouldn’t worry about that at the moment. While they did kill off two niche streaming services, both had considerably fewer users than CR. While CR May only have two million paying subscribers, they have several million more that use their ad supported service. Also, the decision to shut down DramaFever was actually made prior to the AT&T acquisition.

Not to mention, AT&T has been actively promoting Crunchyroll and VRV. The latter is even offered as a free premium option, alongside Showtime and HBO, for their unlimited data plan customers. I’ve even seen VRV featured in several of their commercials for this plan.

They could potentially merge CR into VRV, or align the two even more closely. However, I don’t think either is in any danger of shutting down, especially if the number of ad supported users remains high and subscribers continue to grow.

FilmStruck and DramaFever were both less successful and well known than CR. The panic over their shut down is a little overblown, and doesn’t automatically mean that Warner will shut down all their remaining streaming services, even when their new one launches. Plenty of media companies have had no issues owning a chunk of Hulu, while also owning their own streaming services and also selling shows to Netflix and Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3