• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Fall 2018, Oct 1-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Keep in mind that these rankings are based on how people rated individual episodes of the current season, not on the overall quality or popularity of the series.

As the list says right up front, this is a popularity contest with the sample limited to users of ANN who follow the reviews and care enough to rate the individual episodes. If you don't agree with the ratings, it just means your taste in anime is not exactly the same as that portion of the community. This isn't a bad thing. If your taste in shows was completely normal you probably wouldn't be watching anime in the first place.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Speaking of the worst, I ended up passing on Conception, but I had been nonetheless curious about its potential to be the worst. How does it compare to My Sister, My Writer, (which is my own choice for worst so far)? If it is better (worse?) in that regard, I may have to check it out, time permitting.

'Fraid I can't comment on that, as I haven't watched past the first episode of the latter.

Also, to be clear, Conception definitely isn't without entertainment value; it's almost worth watching for the dirty-minded mascot character alone. It's just not a good series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I am very disheartened about Run with Wind's criminally overall low rating, but oh well, hopefully it improves its rating like the most recent week

PS: To those who are confused about Tokyo Ghoul Re 2nd season's low rating, it's quite simple, this season is trying to adapt 120+ chapters into 12 episodes, with such breakneck pacing , disappointing animation and way too many characters that suffer from low screen time and characterizations, it is no surprise the second season enraged both anime and manga fans

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
now I'm even more curious why the title for this forum thread is in French.... Confused

Yes, this is so weird. It's not even the first time I see this happening, and I wonder why. Maybe the person who made the first comment was commenting on the (Canadian?) French version of the article? (Supposing that the article exists in other languages, but I guess why not - it's basically just a template with either already localized or non-localizable variables.)

Edit: by the way, it's a crime that Double Decker is ranked so low, but I guess people who bother to vote are not the ones who liked the episodes... (maybe I should start doing it to do my part in raising its profile?)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd like to see Tsurune ranked higher, but I kinda get why it's not. I think part of the problem is its late start, but I expect it will rise a bit over the next few episodes as the story starts moving. I'm also pleased that Run With the Wind is doing fairly well. I expected to like it, but it's exceeding my hopes every week.

Lol at One Piece going from 1st place (656) in the weeklies to dead last (658) in just 3 weeks. Is the quality of the episodes really that different week to week?

I don't know if there are too many series or what, but the graphs are completely out of whack, no matter what magnification I set it to. At 100% and less, they match the top line, but overhang the x-axis date markers, at 150% the graphs overshoot the grid at the bottom, and at 170% they fall short at the bottom and overshoot the top. And when clicking on a ranking to highlight its line, the black line doesn't overlap the color line at any % setting, nor do they align with the episode number squares. I've had this problem before, but it seems worse this time.
quaton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:23 am Reply with quote
Tsurune is criminally low and that saddens me, it's a great show. The delay really hurt I guess.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Edit: by the way, it's a crime that Double Decker is ranked so low, but I guess people who bother to vote are not the ones who liked the episodes... (maybe I should start doing it to do my part in raising its profile?)

100% this. Double Decker is positively hilarious.

Although I also just think this is a generally strong season, and I wonder how many people missed that DD even exists.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
PS: To those who are confused about Tokyo Ghoul Re 2nd season's low rating, it's quite simple, this season is trying to adapt 120+ chapters into 12 episodes, with such breakneck pacing , disappointing animation and way too many characters that suffer from low screen time and characterizations, it is no surprise the second season enraged both anime and manga fans

Yeah, the currently airing Tokyo Ghoul's ranking is no mystery. 'Breakneck pacing' doesn't even begin to describe what that adaptation's done this season; it's flashing forward so quickly that it feels more like a sequence of isolated, short vignettes from the same universe than a single cohesive story.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
[quote="zrnzle500"]
Key wrote:

Speaking of the worst, I ended up passing on Conception, but I had been nonetheless curious about its potential to be the worst. How does it compare to My Sister, My Writer, (which is my own choice for worst so far)? If it is better (worse?) in that regard, I may have to check it out, time permitting.

It's enjoyable if you're nostalgic for when you were 12 and thought that everything sexual was just soooooooo naughty and hilarious and everything people said could be taken as a dirty innuendo that you and your friends would crack up about, because that's the feel of it. The animation and character designs are decent/good (way better than what I've seen people complaining about for My Sister, My Writer) and it seems like maybe there is something interesting to Conception that they are glossing over in a "play the game!" way. The funniest part is that the first episode with the "super sexy orgy" opener was mostly troll, as the characters spoiler[don't actually have to have sex to make the star children].

The most recent episode had some cute moments, though, so it's not terrible. It's definitely not great and I think it's too ridiculous to be GOOD and not ridiculous ENOUGH to be fanservice fodder.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
100% this. Double Decker is positively hilarious.

Although I also just think this is a generally strong season, and I wonder how many people missed that DD even exists.

It seems to be flying under people's radar, which is weird because it started what, two weeks before every other show in the season. :/ Perhaps that's what threw people off. Or maybe it's just too "different" than the currently popular mainstream, and many Tiger & Bunny fans are salty that it's not a sequel or something.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't know if there are too many series or what, but the graphs are completely out of whack, no matter what magnification I set it to. At 100% and less, they match the top line, but overhang the x-axis date markers, at 150% the graphs overshoot the grid at the bottom, and at 170% they fall short at the bottom and overshoot the top. And when clicking on a ranking to highlight its line, the black line doesn't overlap the color line at any % setting, nor do they align with the episode number squares. I've had this problem before, but it seems worse this time.

Hmm, what browser are you using?
On Chrome, everything is aligned, no matter what magnification I set it to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm on Firefox 62.0.2. This is what the weekly looks like at 3 different magnifications (set for text-only zoom):

(click for larger image)

The black line actually connects the numbers it's supposed to at 100% (but not at higher mag), but the colored lines are out of sync, as is the grid - maybe because it's not text, but that doesn't explain why it's off at 100% (below 100% the numbers get smaller, but it never aligns). It's weird to me that at 100% it's aligned at the top, but overruns the bottom, but at 170% it's the opposite. As I enlarge the text, the episode numbers get bigger as expected, while the grid and the dates remain the same size (I guess because they're coded as objects and not text? I scaled the images of the enlargements to align the three, but probably that's confusing). Btw, why are there two sets of dates?

I'm usually ready to take the blame because I normally have everything zoomed, but if it's not working even at normal size, it's not my fault. I blame Firefox! Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
It seems to be flying under people's radar, which is weird because it started what, two weeks before every other show in the season. :/ Perhaps that's what threw people off. Or maybe it's just too "different" than the currently popular mainstream, and many Tiger & Bunny fans are salty that it's not a sequel or something.

I honestly didn't realize it was a current-season anime until I randomly picked it up while looking for some Crunchyroll-able series to watch. I was friggin' shocked at how funny it was, and pretty annoyed when I noticed it was currently airing. A binge-watch so rudely interrupted...

Also, where does DD get off using CG intelligently? It's not as flashy as Land of the Lustrous, but it very rarely annoys me and usually blends pretty decently with the rest of the show.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
if you can understand that link to the Schulze method, which is what is used to determine the rankings, then I suppose it might be easier to understand why things are ranked the way they are. I've tried, I've failed. now its just amusing to see everyone struggle to understand whats going on

I'll do my best to explain Schulze simply.

The problem with designing these sorts of systems is that society's opinions are not necessarily consistent. Consider an election where there are three candidates, and the voters end up sending in very-nearly-equal rankings of A, B, C; B, C, A; and C, A, B. If you look at the implications, ⅔ of voters agree that A is better than B, ⅔ agree that B is better than C, and ⅔ agree that C is better than A. These preferences are not transitive.

The Schulze method instead computes society's preference using a different method that is transitive. What this method says is that, if A > C and C > B, then we should be able to conclude A > B. More particularly, if 20 people say A > B, 25 say A > C, and 23 say C > B, then we should say that the real preference for A > B isn't 20 but min(25, 23), i.e., 23. You can also extend this to A > C > D > B, ad infinitum. By using this inferred preference by comparing chains of preferences rather than direct preferences, the resulting metric is transitive and therefore there is a single winning (assuming no ties).

In other words, Schulze is not about looking at the number of people who directly express an opinion of A being better than B but rather at looking at the number of people who express an opinion of A being better than C and the number who expressing C over B. It's more tolerant of indifferent votes than other systems.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
Lol @ Tsurune. Come on guys. Keep it together. Stay with us.

But, I wouldn't count this as the best site to get a good idea of the quality of the series. I don't think many sites do the quality of any one show justice these days. I hope that the people who are interested or curious enough about the show won't be scared off by these rankings. You just have to try it yourself.

I mean, it's certainly no Run with the Wind, but it's still good, and is definitely going somewhere. This slow-burn show may reward those who keep watching it until the end. But don't quote me on this.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
Hinomaru Zumou is obviously too crap to be even on the chart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3