• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Newest Cardcaptor Sakura Museum Asks: 'Why is CCS Being Rediscovered Now?'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And for what it's worth, Mr. Terada and Rika's relationship seems to have been written out of Clear Card. Even in the original anime, their relationship was toned down significantly from the manga source material and it was more of a one sided crush in the anime that never went anywhere.

Li's nervousness around Yukito, and Touya's strange relationship, were also cleanly explained away in S3 of the anime as the confused feelings of both sensing something "unusual" about him.
Even Tomoyo's "crush" on Sakura was shown to be sweatdrop-worthy one-sided. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Like Sailor Moon, it's only the personally-invested fans who still insist on making something out of it, while the majority of fans just enjoy the show for what it's worth.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Most CCS fans are quite capable of being critical of the more problematic content of the series while also praising the series for what it gets right at the same time. And for what it's worth, Mr. Terada and Rika's relationship seems to have been written out of Clear Card. Even in the original anime, their relationship was toned down significantly from the manga source material and it was more of a one sided crush in the anime that never went anywhere.

First off, I wasn't being critical of CCS at all. I love the show and I personally don't find any of its content to be problematic. I don't think there is anything to be critical of.

Second, most of the criticism you hear, especially in the context of the big bad anime bogeyman we're talking about here, doesn't come from fans who might overlook the negative in favor of the positive. It comes from outsiders who usually have a poor grasp of what they are complaining about. The mere mention that "show X contains Y" is usually enough to set those people off. And CCS has a lot of material that is sure to offend those people who are easily offended. Rika and Terada-sensei are just one drop in the bucket.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
While it's true that CCS has some objectionable content you've gotta look at the whole picture and as a whole the show has a lot of appeal to young girls. It's also a show that grownups can find enjoyment watching-and NO I'm not talking about pedophiles-shudder!! I've enjoyed CCS having watched it about 4 times. I think it's just about the best magical girl show out there. And for the record Sailor Moon has just as much-more, in my opinion objectionable material.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And for what it's worth, Mr. Terada and Rika's relationship seems to have been written out of Clear Card. Even in the original anime, their relationship was toned down significantly from the manga source material and it was more of a one sided crush in the anime that never went anywhere.

Li's nervousness around Yukito, and Touya's strange relationship, were also cleanly explained away in S3 of the anime as the confused feelings of both sensing something "unusual" about him.
Even Tomoyo's "crush" on Sakura was shown to be sweatdrop-worthy one-sided. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Like Sailor Moon, it's only the personally-invested fans who still insist on making something out of it, while the majority of fans just enjoy the show for what it's worth.

There is something ironic in the fact that the show about "all kinds of love" ultimately removed some and did not allow others to develop.

No, I agree that when salty Sakura / Tomoyo's shippers try to blame CLAMP for homophobia, it sounds pretty funny, but I still can't understand why Tomoyo didn't get a new love interest, even heterosexual.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
While I enjoyed Clear Card as a whole and I feel like some of the hatred towards it is overblown, I think it's biggest issue is that it spends too much time focusing on Sakura and Syaoran's romance and the plot set up so that other than Meiling, most of the secondary characters in general have been cast to the side. I'm willing to give CLAMP the benefit of the doubt though that if we ever get a second season for Clear Card that I hope they'll spend more time with the secondary characters in the second season now that they've got the plot setup and the Meiling nostalgia scenes out of the way.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

So there relationship was not brought up in the sequel? The last I checked I heard those two were still in a relationship in Clear Card. Granted I have yet to have watch Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card as I want to rewatch or more like I want to read the original manga first to get myself re-familiar with the story and then read the Clear Card manga. Speaking of the original Cardcaptor Sakura I do remember that in the anime adaption their relationship was not display as much, but I do not remember it being a one sided love. I do recall Terada showing a hint that he had feeling for Rika as well. It was more like they did not animated that one scene when they were together giving each other a promise they would one day married when Rika was old enough. Well it's kind of a shame if that is the case as it was one of my favorite shipping from the story due to how cute they look together. It also helps that the setting of the story is . . how should I say. . I guess fanciful enough (I don't know what word to use in particular. I just know the story was not meant to be so "realistic" if you know what I mean) that I am willing to overlook how realistic or unlikely a relationship like this would be successful and it goes along with the theme the story is getting at. Speaking of which:

#HayamiLover wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

There is something ironic in the fact that the show about "all kinds of love" ultimately removed some and did not allow others to develop.

Yeah that is ironic. I imagine it could had something to do with outside forces not allowing for the anime adaptation to cover the manga material in it's entirety.

Shiflan wrote:

Second, most of the criticism you hear, especially in the context of the big bad anime bogeyman we're talking about here, doesn't come from fans who might overlook the negative in favor of the positive. It comes from outsiders who usually have a poor grasp of what they are complaining about. The mere mention that "show X contains Y" is usually enough to set those people off. And CCS has a lot of material that is sure to offend those people who are easily offended. Rika and Terada-sensei are just one drop in the bucket.

I recall finding someone who liked Cardcaptor Sakura having a problem with Rika and Terada being a couple, but when I think about it I do not think that person was no longer a fan of the story. Anyway you do bring up a good point, Shiflan. I learn recently that people have different levels of disgust. Interesting how easily disgusted someone gets is linked to their morality.The more easily disgusted one gets to things, the rigid their principles are. So the people who get easily disgusted are most likely not going to fully enjoy Cardcaptor Sakura even despite it's happy, fanciful like setting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

No, I agree that when salty Sakura / Tomoyo's shippers try to blame CLAMP for homophobia, it sounds pretty funny, but I still can't understand why Tomoyo didn't get a new love interest, even heterosexual.

Lol, accusing CLAMP of homophobia isn't just funny, that's hilarious. The irony couldn't be any deeper.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
[quote="Shiflan"]
#HayamiLover wrote:
Lol, accusing CLAMP of homophobia isn't just funny, that's hilarious. The irony couldn't be any deeper.

You also find it funny, but they were quite seriously saying that Sakura "is obliged to choose Tomoyo because she loves and deserves her more than anyone", but she does not do this because "CLAMP is secretly homophobic and deliberately mock the homosexual character".
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

You also find it funny, but they were quite seriously saying that Sakura "is obliged to choose Tomoyo because she loves and deserves her more than anyone", but she does not do this because "CLAMP is secretly homophobic and deliberately mock the homosexual character".

Oh, I believe you 100%. I just think that complaint is ridiculous all things considered, and it shows that the people making that complaint know very little about CLAMP or their body of work. Clamp's reputation is the very opposite of homophobia, and their body of work supports it.

And as far as the sexual orientation of CCS characters goes Clamp didn't change a thing... Even in the original CCS TV Sakura fawns after Yukito, a male, rather than women.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2