• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Edited for TV Dubs Change An Anime's Music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes. Forget dubs vs subs. This is where the real clash is at.

In this experience, I've always found that either changes to music are usually some of the more jarring and noticeable. There is no middle ground, and it's always either love or hate.

Some of the more positive ones:

Dragon Ball Z - I like how the soundtrack gained a really tense and stimulating edge when it was brought to the US.
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie - Before Infinite, before III's hip hop and rap focus, we had a good old hardcore 1990's grunge and alt metal take.... at least in the States. I liked it at least. A bit of trivia: the sound director was the same person who did Baywatch's (yes, that Baywatch, the hallmark 1990s TV cable show) sound design.
Galerians: Rion - Hardcore Industrial for a hardcore cyberpunk story. Nuff' said, and enough past internet grammar references.
Cyber City Oedo - I only listened to the dub with the original music, but wow, the US Manga Corps soundtrack also helped put a more daunting and hardcore take on the series.

Some of the worst ones:

Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection - Probably the worst offender on this list. It removes the essential leitmotif of spoiler[Tomoe when Kaoru halts Enishi from slaying Kenshin after their battle.] Forget spoiler[the CP charges /a joke for the moral crusaders] and how the anime never animated the later arcs, ADV's worst dubbing sin right here, people.
Mega Man NT Warrior: Who did this? Who was in charge of this? Mega Man NT Warrior actually had a nice classic 1970's anime styled tokusatsu feel brought to modern day with uppity rock n roll and fusion techno as the score, and a lot of cast sung theme songs, including its own anthem for MegaMan.EXE. Brought to the states, everything about that was removed for this... cacophony of noise in attempts to sound cyberpunky and hardcore for the kids. It's just as bad as that episode where they censored corrupted and enemy Net Navis getting their limbs wiped out, not to exclude how ShadowMan.EXE had a big gaping hole in his chest from getting sniped by SearchMan.EXE. Post 9/11 censorship at its best, yeeesshhh. You can show me spoiler[blood and placenta on Law and Order SVU out on UPN at 8pm, but a kid's TV show? Come on....]
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Because let's all be honest, if you do like something like Pokemon, then that's all well and good, but unless you are an actual child, your opinions on the subject simply do not matter to the licensor/licensee/broadcaster since children are the ones who are going to be advertised to when these shows actually air on TV. The fans complaining about soundtrack changes are almost assuredly outside of that demographic.

That is certainly true. My point was directed towards shows appealing to teens and up, not young children. I should have stated that more clearly.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Ages ago when Yugioh was still fresh I remember seeing some kind of brief behind the scenes clip where they talked about the music changes and actual did show a bit of a focus group where kids got to choose which soundtrack they liked better. Could have just been editing bias, the kids shown actually did prefer the 4Kids soundtrack. Unfortunately I doubt the video actually exists online anymore.

Dub soundtracks tend to be filled with rap, heavily synthesized techno, and other types of pop music kids probably like better than traditional Japanese music (Dragonball) or classical orchestrated (Yu-Gi-Oh). I could imagine some Fortnite-addicted kid saying they were bored listening to more slower paced or somber music. Apparently that's why they stopped using the dubbed Japanese Yo-Kai watch theme after like 4 episodes and started using some awful techno song.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Mind elaborating on this a little more? I'm interested about your viewpoint on this. Like, why would an anime series not be a good fit for the North American market if the licensor and licensee feel that the background music would sound too esoteric for mass-market audiences?

The art is owed as faithful a translation as possible on every level, and this includes keeping the original music. That music was chosen for a reason and it's part of the very fabric of the series it's in. There's little, if any, reason to replace it, unless you try to do English versions of Japanese vocal songs. Replacing the music is an insult to the work itself, it's saying that the creativity that went into the anime can easily be subverted for a few extra dollars/yen.

This is also why the English dub scripts should be as accurate as possible (allowing a little leeway for language differences). The English version of an anime should be the Japanese show except in English. That's it. No creative spin is necessary, all the creativity has been completed when the show was made.

I'd rather not see the product at all than have a compromised version that's more marketable. That might be naive from a business perspective, but those are my personal standards. I'm not interested in some licensor's taste in music. The music intended for the show should be the only music they're allowed to use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
Ah, yes. Forget dubs vs subs. This is where the real clash is at.

In this experience, I've always found that either changes to music are usually some of the more jarring and noticeable. There is no middle ground, and it's always either love or hate.

Some of the more positive ones:

Dragon Ball Z - I like how the soundtrack gained a really tense and stimulating edge when it was brought to the US.
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie - Before Infinite, before III's hip hop and rap focus, we had a good old hardcore 1990's grunge and alt metal take.... at least in the States. I liked it at least. A bit of trivia: the sound director was the same person who did Baywatch's (yes, that Baywatch, the hallmark 1990s TV cable show) sound design.
Galerians: Rion - Hardcore Industrial for a hardcore cyberpunk story. Nuff' said, and enough past internet grammar references.
Cyber City Oedo - I only listened to the dub with the original music, but wow, the US Manga Corps soundtrack also helped put a more daunting and hardcore take on the series.

Some of the worst ones:

Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection - Probably the worst offender on this list. It removes the essential leitmotif of spoiler[Tomoe when Kaoru halts Enishi from slaying Kenshin after their battle.] Forget spoiler[the CP charges /a joke for the moral crusaders] and how the anime never animated the later arcs, ADV's worst dubbing sin right here, people.
Mega Man NT Warrior: Who did this? Who was in charge of this? Mega Man NT Warrior actually had a nice classic 1970's anime styled tokusatsu feel brought to modern day with uppity rock n roll and fusion techno as the score, and a lot of cast sung theme songs, including its own anthem for MegaMan.EXE. Brought to the states, everything about that was removed for this... cacophony of noise in attempts to sound cyberpunky and hardcore for the kids. It's just as bad as that episode where they censored corrupted and enemy Net Navis getting their limbs wiped out, not to exclude how ShadowMan.EXE had a big gaping hole in his chest from getting sniped by SearchMan.EXE. Post 9/11 censorship at its best, yeeesshhh. You can show me spoiler[blood and placenta on Law and Order SVU out on UPN at 8pm, but a kid's TV show? Come on....]

My horror story is Digimon. That dub had three songs, tops. Even watching it weekly, it got repetitive fast, and the use was often forced because the selection was so limited.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can't completely hate the practice of changing music because we got Faulconer Production's tracks on DBZ, the kickass grunge in Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, and the more emotionally engaging tracks in 4Kids' Pokemon movies (not including end-credit pop trash). All of which were infinitely better than their Japanese counterparts.

But it is cuts that I hate.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
This is also why the English dub scripts should be as accurate as possible (allowing a little leeway for language differences). The English version of an anime should be the Japanese show except in English. That's it. No creative spin is necessary, all the creativity has been completed when the show was made.

Hate to break it to you, but you're asking for the impossible. Translating from Japanese into English isn't like translating from metric into imperial. There's no exact formula, and there can't ever be because the two languages and the cultures behind them are just too different.

The bottom line is, it takes a tremendous amount of creativity and artistry to accurately translate from one to the other. It's not just a matter of looking up words in a dictionary and substituting one for another.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Mind elaborating on this a little more? I'm interested about your viewpoint on this. Like, why would an anime series not be a good fit for the North American market if the licensor and licensee feel that the background music would sound too esoteric for mass-market audiences?

The art is owed as faithful a translation as possible on every level, and this includes keeping the original music. That music was chosen for a reason and it's part of the very fabric of the series it's in. There's little, if any, reason to replace it, unless you try to do English versions of Japanese vocal songs. Replacing the music is an insult to the work itself, it's saying that the creativity that went into the anime can easily be subverted for a few extra dollars/yen.

I'd rather not see the product at all than have a compromised version that's more marketable. That might be naive from a business perspective, but those are my personal standards. I'm not interested in some licensor's taste in music. The music intended for the show should be the only music they're allowed to use.

What's your example of a good English version of a show? I gotta say your standards seem so strict that few if any shows could pass it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
I have no comment on LBX since I haven't seen a single minute of that show.

LBX recycled music from the Monster Rancher dub, which I believe used different music from the Japanese version.

Silver Kirin wrote:
Regarding Digimon, I never saw the Saban version, but I heard they recycled the soundtrack from Masked Rider

They didn't as far as I know. That sounds like a baseless rumor.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Western obviously thinks they have every right to do so, since they paid big bucks on it. The more annoying thing is when they release a specific bluray release, the american casts, staffs is listed first before the original japanese cast-staff which is appalling to me. I mean, yeah, they may have paid for it, but that doesn't change the fact that they didn't do a SINGLE jack (most of the time) making that anime, except put their own dub for other's preference.

For translation, I already gave up debating on this one. A lot claims there's no formula translating JP to EN fluently, but I disagree. I am a speaker of both languages and aside from local japanese puns, literal translation is possible, but again, there's a lot of influencers out there saying the otherwise and that is nothing short of misinforming people.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but you're asking for the impossible. Translating from Japanese into English isn't like translating from metric into imperial. There's no exact formula, and there can't ever be because the two languages and the cultures behind them are just too different.

I said, "allowing a little leeway for language differences". It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, just around 70-80%. I'm not terminally dense, I understand certain words and phrases don't translate well into English. My problem is when huge tracts of dialogue rewrite characters and reframe the connotations and tones of scenes.

Fortunately, there's very few dubs these days that do that. It's mostly a past problem.

Dr. Wily wrote:
What's your example of a good English version of a show? I gotta say your standards seem so strict that few if any shows could pass it.

Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Baccano!, Michiko & Hatchin, and various others. I'm not as strict as I seem. 90% of dubs made in the past ten years have at least been tolerable, if not decent.

But if you were an anime fan when I started as one, you'd recall just how many liberties were taken compared to today when you'll get the occasional "cute" rewrite of a line to incorporate some internet meme.

My point is, the music is basically just as much a part of the fabric of an anime as the script and the animation. Changing it unnecessarily (which is most of the time) was a bad practice that I'm glad is behind the industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
Regarding Digimon, I never saw the Saban version, but I heard they recycled the soundtrack from Masked Rider

They didn't as far as I know. That sounds like a baseless rumor.

Digimon, on top of having its own original score, did pull some music from other shows. The most noticable one for me was Princess Sissi along with some tracks originally heard in Saban's Masked Rider.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the only time an English dub music track has been better than the Japanese version was Lugia's song.

I only JUST found out today that the song is different in the Japanese version, and it's... Not quite as good.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Well, I can't completely hate the practice of changing music because we got Faulconer Production's tracks on DBZ, the kickass grunge in Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, and the more emotionally engaging tracks in 4Kids' Pokemon movies (not including end-credit pop trash). All of which were infinitely better than their Japanese counterparts.

I partially blame Bruce Faulconer's music for the perception Dragonball has in America, and am personally glad that OST is gone forever.

Never saw Street Fighter II, but Pokemon has a really forgettable dub music score, especially compared to some of the powerful, amazing tracks of the original. Hakutai Woods is just beautiful.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I partially blame Bruce Faulconer's music for the perception Dragonball has in America, and am personally glad that OST is gone forever.

DBZ would never have GOTTEN the perception it has in America on "Head Cha-La"--
Whatever else you can say about the Funi's use of metal-rock for the CN TV dub, it Rocked the Dragon. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5