• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiiyoSon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
While I partly agree with you, I also agree the show is somewhat boring, especially if you consider it takes place inside the Air Force, one of the military branches normally depicted as the coolest ones in fiction. You could easily put the characters inside, let's say, into an acrobatic squadron, or even in a civilian context, and the story would be mostly the same

I'm not arguing about the story. I'm talking purely aesthetic.

When I say "production" I mean the overall aesthetic of the show meaning character designs, character animation, art design, backgrounds, creature designs, etc. Martin said in this sentence
Quote:
it's not one of the more nicer-looking titles that Bones has produced
which is the part I vehemently disagree with.

Think what you will about the story itself, but in terms of visual production I personally think Hisomaso is up there with some of BONES's best efforts because for the reasons I previously mentioned: It's expressive, visually appealing, and incredibly unique compared to other anime out there.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
MiiyoSon wrote:
BULL! F***ING! S**T!!!!
This is one of BONES's best and most unique efforts in terms of original production because of some of the reasons you eluded to Martin.

Backgrounds don't feel like they were entirely drawn on the computer (which goes a looonnnnggg way for me) and although the designs are simplified(which is NOT a fault) they are appealing, expressive, and most importantly incredibly unique to stand out from all of this "otaku-aimed" bullshit coming out these days. All of this makes for a pretty exciting art design when put together.

Speaking as a Moderator, watch the language.

Speaking as the writer of the review, you're welcome to entirely disagree, but as I implied in the review, this kind of aesthetic doesn't appeal to me much. It's not just this series, either; many titles with very different artistic styles which tend to draw raves from others don't work for me at all. (Ping Pong the Animation immediately comes to mind.) Frankly, I think too many people automatically associate "unique" with "good."

If you want see an example of what I consider top-rate visual fare, look at this season's Irodoku.

As for the business about the series being a commentary on the circumstances of Japanese women in the workplace, I can see that in retrospect but I'm going to disagree that it's a glaringly obvious interpretation. At the time I watched it I saw the theme as a more standard "choose your own path regardless of what barriers are put in the way" story, albeit with the barriers being more specifically sexist than normal.

(And besides, I'm mostly avoiding making any commentary on gender issues these days because I seem to stick my foot in my mouth whenever I do, so you'll rarely see me bring such topics up. Others who write for this site are much more eloquent then I am about such matters.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
MiiyoSon wrote:

Think what you will about the story itself, but in terms of visual production I personally think Hisomaso is up there with some of BONES's best efforts because for the reasons I previously mentioned: It's expressive, visually appealing, and incredibly unique compared to other anime out there.
I personally like the art style of Dragon Pilot a lot but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's more unique than other anime. If anything, it's style is not that much different than a lot of modern moe anime . It's done with a much higher budget and more attention to detail than a lot of moe shows but it's still very moe. Dragon Pilot is one of the nicer looking shows of the year, but it's not up to par with previous Bones shows to me.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I enjoyed some aspects of Dragon Pilot like the slice of life elements and the cute art style. But as a whole I found the world building to be rushed and not well thought out and the melodramatic elements all felt very forced to me. Forced melodrama seems to be a problem I have with most of Mari Okada's works though I always keep trying to give her titles a shot.
Quote:
2- The dub: While the dub is OK, one of the biggest criticisms against the dub was the fact this show was dubbed over more popular stuff like Code Geass and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, which didn't received a dub and both series were released in Netflix with this show. Needless to say, CG and Unicorn smashed Hisone and Masotan in popularity in Latin America.
Neither Code Geass or Gundam Unicorn are Netflix exclusive shows so I'm not sure that it's fair to blame Netflix for why they didn't get dubbed in your country, as unfortunate as that must be.

One Punch Man and other non-Netflix stuff did got dubs, it's mostly Sunrise's fault here, albeit I cannot blame them as well since the last Gundam series with a Spanish dub (Gundam Wing) failed big time there, and we're talking about one of the most famous series of the franchise.

The point here is, when two older series beat in ratings another newer series because no one wants to see it anyways, means something is wrong with Netflix, albeit that's a very well know fact from time ago.

And, if you think the whole thing with this series is bad, wait untill you see the Latin American criticism against Back Street Girls, and it's not pretty at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2