• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Apologizes for Offensive Native American Caricature, Will Update for Super Smash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
People are more offended by the removal than the existence of it. It's incredible how hypocritical people can be.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
You do know that one of the oldest and common stereotypes among American Indians were that they murdering savages right?

Regardless of how many frames Mr. Game & Watch's attacks were it would still be seen as insensitive to certain groups. If you know this a problematic depiction of particular minority group or cultiure something why would you even ask such a loaded question?
No one is going to make that connection between this and American Indians as murdering savages.

There is nothing problematic about it, if this had not been noticed, then the game would have come out, people would have played it, and nothing would have been made of it. But no, someone decided to bring it up, and now a load of people are now offended over it.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care honestly but it'd be nice if they changed him into a bandit like before.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I see Christian's get spit on and painted as evil rapists in every piece of media now a days. I'm a Christian, why doesnt the media stop? Well, it's not like I give a crap. In fact, I enjoy those stories. I admit the shortcomings of many religious groups of today and of history. I hope I keep seeing stories about evil religions.

That being said, mr game in watch is a fictional character in a fictional world and his portrayal changes nothing about the truth of who native americans are today and who they have been.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

There is nothing problematic about it, if this had not been noticed,

All signs point to Nintendo noticing this much like they noticed the issue with Squid Girl's taunt in Mario Kart 8.

MarshalBanana wrote:
and now a load of people are now offended over it.

The only people seemingly offended by it are people ironically being outraged at it's removal as has been noted at the top of this page.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
and now a load of people are now offended over it.

The only people seemingly offended by it are people ironically being outraged at it's removal as has been noted at the top of this page.
OK I'll play, if the only people who are offended by this are the ones who do not want it removed, then maybe we should keep it, after all, it's not offending anybody is it?

And for the record, I think removing it is pointless, does = I am offended by this removal.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
OK I'll play, if the only people who are offended by this are the ones who do not want it removed, then maybe we should keep it, after all, it's not offending anybody is it?

If Nintendo thinks it's insensitive much like the article noted with G&W Gallery 4's minigame that would obviously be a no.

MarshalBanana wrote:

And for the record, I think removing it is pointless, does = I am offended by this removal.

By the same token leaving it in is pointless.
JustStopPlz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
This is so stupid. It's just a video game. I bet the vast majority of people who are complaining about this haven't even thought about the Dakota Access Pipeline protests in months. You know, where real people were hurt and kicked off their land in modern times.

But instead they put their effects into yelling over a video games. Priorities. Maybe these people would actually accomplish something if they banded together for one cause instead of deciding to get offended over every little thing that changes on a daily basis.

Florete wrote:
People are more offended by the removal than the existence of it. It's incredible how hypocritical people can be.

Because that's self-imposed censorship under pressure from these crazies. Giving into them is never a good idea. It just gives me more power and makes them more bold in what they complain about. I'm very anti-censorship and don't think people should be limited in their creation of fictional art (and yes video games are art) because it might offend a vocal minority.

Last edited by JustStopPlz on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
This is silly. Native Americans are not concerned about this. Individuals may be personally offended for whatever reason, but that is true with just about anything. I dislike people purporting to speak on behalf of whole groups because it's just not true. I'm fairly certain I know those who would main G&W without a second thought.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
...I guess playing cowboys and indians should be punishable by law then, right?

Uh, what kid plays cowboys and indians in this day and age? Last time I remember kids seriously playing that was when I was a kid...and that was over 50 years ago!
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Given how native Americans were the victims of genocide, having land stolen from them, forced to convert to Christianity along with forced to stop speaking their indigenous languages in addition to the above issues of course they are.....yet people still pretend (not you specifically) that none of this was wrong in anyway.

I can understand people getting upset at some kind of "savage warrior brute" stereotype, but I was listing pretty innocuous examples. It seems like any kind of native garb is deemed taboo in America.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
This is silly. Native Americans are not concerned about this. Individuals may be personally offended for whatever reason, but that is true with just about anything. I dislike people purporting to speak on behalf of whole groups because it's just not true. .

You're essentially doing this same thing by arguing "Native Americans are not concerned by this".

Chester McCool wrote:

I can understand people getting upset at some kind of "savage warrior brute" stereotype, but I was listing pretty innocuous examples. It seems like any kind of native garb is deemed taboo in America.

I've personally never seen people complain about Julia or her mother to be honest but given they've stuck around for all these years just like T-Hawk I've guess people have more or less accepted or least learn to tolerate them.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
This is silly. Native Americans are not concerned about this. Individuals may be personally offended for whatever reason, but that is true with just about anything. I dislike people purporting to speak on behalf of whole groups because it's just not true. .

You're essentially doing this same thing by arguing Native Americans are not offended by this.

I agree with BadNewsBlues. No one can speak for everyone, especially not in these situations. Nintendo made the right call.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I've personally never seen people complain about Julia or her mother to be honest but given they've stuck around for all these years just like T-Hawk I've guess people have more or less accepted or least learn to tolerate them.

For the record, Many Mexicans got offended with T.Hawk, but for different reasons, because he looks like an stereotypical Native American, rather than a Native Mexican.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, I actually think Nintendo made the right call. Maybe it isn't offensive to some but it might be to others when it comes to this stuff.
Though it does remind me: when are we gonna address another old fighting video game that has a Native American in it? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4