• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Reveals 2 Anime by Japanese Studios, Altered Carbon 'Feature,' Pacific Rim & Trese

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
I just want my second season of Violet Evergarden tbh.

It’s getting a sequel movie that will be released in January 2020. Depending on how the story turns out in it, we may get another season from Kyoto Animation after that premieres.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
As for the shows themselves... I honestly didn't even notice the CG in the first one until everyone started complaining about it, so maybe we're getting closer to it being a decent replacement for hand-drawn. Anything that cuts down on slave-labor hours for animators is worth working on. The stories for the first two, though, come off as "edgelord" and "Sword of the Stranger with mechas," respectively, and I have barely a passing interest in Pacific Rim, so I'm probably going to forget that any of these shows exist.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
News of the Pacific Rim anime brings to mind the Street Fighter The Movie video game. We have an example of a life-action film, itself inspired by anime, becoming an anime once more. Whether such a circumnavigation of media formats will result in anything distinctive is an open question at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
forexjammer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Cmon guys, give Polygon some slack. BLAME was really nice to look at. They are improving every show.

I'm much more worried for Yasuke since it's directed by a western. Pacific Rim is a nice surprise.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Did some clean up. We're not turning this into a debate on how Neflix releases shows.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
If these are all truly Netflix-commissioned shows like A.I.C.O. Incarnation, then the release schedule issue is irrelevant anyway, because each won't come out in Japan at all before the day Netflix releases it online worldwide.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:24 am Reply with quote
Can you really call Yasuke an anime? It seems more like an American dude's vision animated by a Japanese studio, so this doesn't seem anymore anime than, say, The Boondocks or The Legend of Korra.
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
A Jakarta-Singapore based?

Oh man, lately a lot of Indonesian studios participate on anime production. And most of them are great project like latest season of Jojo.

Asaaaasd wrote:
Can you really call Yasuke an anime? It seems more like an American dude's vision animated by a Japanese studio, so this doesn't seem anymore anime than, say, The Boondocks or The Legend of Korra.

That's depends on individual definition of anime. But I hope it's gonna be like Samurai Champloo.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
I hope they get Obari for Pacific Rim. The guy's a massive dork for everything Pacific Rim and has wanted to do something for it for years.

Asaaaasd wrote:

It's called a co-production. It wasn't all that uncommon in the early to mid 2000s. You had stuff like Cybersix (a Canada-Japan coproduction based on a series of Brazilian comic books), Spider Riders, Oban Star Racers, the various Bakugan shows and technically Beyblade.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
They all sound quite promising, especially looking forward to Cagaster and Altered Carbon thanks to Chigira and Sato respectively.

Yasuke's description being animated by MAPPA sounds very promising too given that studio's usually great animation as does of course the potential of a Pacific Rim giant robot anime. And actually Trese sounds really neat too, so this is a rather interesting lineup, including the co-productions.

configspace wrote:
The first one sounds like a regular license, since it's just a GONZO adaptation of the Mushikago no Cagaster manga.

Yeah, like Ajin or Sidonia rather than a non-adaptation. I really like the look of this one, plus I've liked a lot of Koichi Chigira's shows so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

forexjammer wrote:
Cmon guys, give Polygon some slack. BLAME was really nice to look at. They are improving every show.

I'm much more worried for Yasuke since it's directed by a western. Pacific Rim is a nice surprise.

Yeah, I thought BLAME was pretty gorgeous watching my blu-ray copy.
Also, I think the couple of shots of Gonzo's Cagaster look really good.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Personally the Alterd Carbon project interests me most. Pacific Rim no doubt will do well as that franchise is perfectly designed for anime. So the only real question is the amount of effort put into it as to whether it can work or not.

Altered Carbon however is a bit different in my mind. At least not as much of a sure thing compared to Pacific Rim. I have however read all 3 of the books in the original book series and I loved them. I thought the season they did on Netflix was pretty good. I think it was not as good, like most cases, as the books, but it was still pretty solid and enjoyable. So I am surprised to hear about this animated project for it, but it's a happy surprise and I really hope they put some effort into it.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Pacific Rim no doubt will do well as that franchise is perfectly designed for anime.

It's an American production. The show runners are two American guys. Plus Pacific Rim bombed in Japan, so I doubt they'd be interested in making an anime about it in the first place, I imagine this is a last ditch effort by Legendary to make Pacific Rim a thing.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
S0crates wrote:
I just want my second season of Violet Evergarden tbh.

It’s getting a sequel movie that will be released in January 2020. Depending on how the story turns out in it, we may get another season from Kyoto Animation after that premieres.

I really wouldn't get hopes up there. The movie should cover everything left from the light novel which ended in 2018. Also KyoAni has quite a few things are their schedule for the next few years already.
------

CG looks really bad on the inspect show. Gonna definitely skip that but I was likely to do so anyway just simply because I'd probably forget about it by the time they release it (full of errors they'll never fix) in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2