• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata Resigns from Square Enix

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
The reaction I'm seeing on certain sites is the equivalent of people happily dancing on Tabata's grave. People shouldn't celebrate a person's resignation like it's a fun day at the carnival...unless said person was the worst thing to happen to a company, like Bernie Stolar and the damage he did to Sega with his crap attitude.

Saku-dono wrote:
I miss Squaresoft, and I know a lot of people feel that way too.

Well you aren't wrong, but we also know it'll never be the same again. I miss when Squaresoft made fun and adventurous titles that weren't just Final Fantasy titles, like Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, and Threads of Fate. They were a very creative and successful company before the merger with Enix. The games they develop and publish feel now feel more like a complete chore rather than fun.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The reaction I'm seeing on certain sites is the equivalent of people happily dancing on Tabata's grave. People shouldn't celebrate a person's resignation like it's a fun day at the carnival...unless said person was the worst thing to happen to a company, like Bernie Stolar and the damage he did to Sega with his crap attitude.

They shouldn't but gamers like any other fanbase are petty as hell.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
They shouldn't but gamers like any other fanbase are petty as hell.

Agreed. Glad I don't associate myself among them.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
i played through the original release of ff 15 , even managed too plat it, but tbh i hated it. I didn't bother going back through each episodic release cause non of the characters too me were even likeable and if my love of harem animes wasn't already apparent, the biggest turn off was lack of any female companion....at all...was the worst part of the game. Hopefully ff 16 has at least a 50/50 ratio next time : P.

On a side note , i did enjoy ff 13 (the 1st one, all the sequels just ruined the storyline) Felt alot more empathy toward lightning than i ever did with noctis
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I think Square needs to seriously consider some producer shakeups
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I initially thought the financial loss announcement was just associated with startup costs of Luminous and new IP. But that takes a big turn with Tabata's resignation announcement.

From what has been said, it's as if they couldn't continue to finish the DLC without him and thus decided it would just be cheaper to scrap development entirely and take the loss???

That's kinda messed up... though if the DLC hasn't been making money then that would make sense, though FFXV obviously was messed up in the managing department, I wouldn't put that on Tabata's shoulders as he was pretty much salvaging a project put into dev hell because Square needed all hands on deck for the early FFXIV fiasco.

But that wouldn't explain Tabata's resignation, especially since he'd been handed a new division/studio with Luminous and to work on a new IP.

Going from speculation, it sound as though Square Enix has been wanting to correct its ship and likely demanded another situation where Luminous was to shelve new IP plans and possibly shift to work on FF7 or Kingdom Hearts etc. to ensure they release things faster.

In which case I can see Tabata being burned out and wanting out rather than being saddled with other internal projects that seem to be in a poor state such as with FF7 remake going back to the drawing board.

So this would match up with other insider info that Tabata was the one who voluntarily resigned.

Tabata has been offered other jobs as well, but it looks as though he wants to start his own studio, similar to Hideo Kojima. That might work out well... He could also still work with Square Enix as a publisher, or even get a similar deal with Sony like Kojima did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2