• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Q Hayashida's Dorohedoro Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Wow I never thought this would happen, I sort of wish i had not read the Manga, as that can colour your opinion of the Anime.
#815349 wrote:
That is one style of artwork that will be super hard to get right in animation...
Hmm I'm not sure about that, if they adopt the rough sketchy look of the Manga, that could cut back on the budget. And this is also one of those works where they do a lot of face faults, where all you need to do is draw a few basic large shapes. And the backgrounds will be really easy to draw.

I'm more worried about the censorship it will have, I doubt any of the fanservice will remain and the core will be censored. Unless they get it onto a network that is very lax.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Well this is a pleasant surprise to wake up to. : )
ringoiero360

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
Never thought this would get an anime! I'm excited, though even if it ends up good or not finally my fave Risu will be animated♡♡
This might give me the push to finally cosplay Curse.
brynhild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited to see this. This is my favorite manga series to date aside from Vinland saga. I've followed it for about 14 years now. I hope the anime will give it any kindling of Justice.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:

From that perspective, Harry Potter is an isekai.

Well, yeah. "Isekai" is just the Japanese term for a common fantasy trope. Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, John Carter of Mars, and Narnia are all isekai. And there absolutely were isekai in Japan prior to the current boom, with The Twelve Kingdoms and Zero no Tsukaima being the most obvious examples.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Yep, pretty excited to see this happening and wasn't expecting it. Hopefully, they don't try to cram everything into only 12 episodes and visually it doesn't end up looking like the latest Berserk seasons.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
^But isekai is based on the idea that a lead character is leaving the normal, human world or our world and being transported to another, fantastical world.

That's not the case here. The "human/non-magic user world" (or Hole) in Dorohedoro is already NOT normal and is weird and fantastical in it's own right (there's a character who's a giant cockroach wearing sneakers!), and both the magic and non-magic worlds are aware of each other and contact and transportation between them is very common.

As someone who's read the manga in it's entirety, there's not even any indication that either of the two worlds is the planet Earth!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
With 167 main story chapters and 12 bonus tankoubon chapters, and adding that monthly chapters are often the length of 2 weekly chapters, there is enough material for a full adaptation. In other words, we definitely have enough for a 50+ epi. adaptation. Heck, we might have enough for at least 75 epi.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, MC of isekai works are transported not just into fantasy worlds - they're based on MMORPG mechanics, with classes, skills and levels.
Niello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Niello wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
Mhora wrote:
Yes, isekai and amnesia. Finally. Woho.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid, because Dorohedoro setting never was isekai in the first place, it's post-apocalyptic magitech-punk, most;y because Hayashida was Nihei assistant before she gets serialized and that affected her. And this manga ran for 18 whole years, before isekai even become mainstream, damn.

It does have an isekai element to it, if we are purely speaking the concept of ending up in another world. You can even say other series before the isekai trend are isekai, Twelve Kingdoms for example.

Harry Potter doesn't have anything to do with isekai because there's nothing about another world. Hogwarts is in England. It is also still on earth. There's nothing another world about it.
Niello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Well, MC of isekai works are transported not just into fantasy worlds - they're based on MMORPG mechanics, with classes, skills and levels.

Isekai is a subgenre. The MMORPG mechanics is a trope of that subgenre, not the subgenre itself.

Shenl742 wrote:
^But isekai is based on the idea that a lead character is leaving the normal, human world or our world and being transported to another, fantastical world.

That's not the case here. The "human/non-magic user world" (or Hole) in Dorohedoro is already NOT normal and is weird and fantastical in it's own right (there's a character who's a giant cockroach wearing sneakers!), and both the magic and non-magic worlds are aware of each other and contact and transportation between them is very common.

As someone who's read the manga in it's entirety, there's not even any indication that either of the two worlds is the planet Earth!

And why does isekai need to be limited by the requirement that it has to be from the earth as we know it to a fantasy place? In Dorohedoro The Hole is considered to be a shithole of a place where people are miserable and without magic power. In a certain part of the story there is an element where a character want to go live in the magic world, and ended up there, which clearly is a separate world from The Hole.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Rednimue wrote:
I know asking for a complete adaptation is a little too much ... but I can dream, right ?

The manga literally just ended in Japan, so i'd say the odds are pretty good we'll get a full adaptation.

This news is so surreal to me; i adore the manga, and there is nothing else like it. It is incredibly bizarre, violent, grim, and yet has tons of lovable characters and a tight, compelling story. I can't wait to see what the response to this will be once it starts airing. I just hope the anime doesn't make the mistake of using a poop color scheme, like that Junji Ito anime did.

My worry would be that in order to cram all 23 volumes into a one season series, they’d skip a lot of content.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Based on the responses here, this sounds like something I would take a look at. Sounds intriguing and seeing that it just ended after being serialized since 1999 makes me think this series may get a lot of episodes. I wonder what studio and staff will be working on this.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Niello wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
Mhora wrote:

Not sure if trolling or just stupid, because Dorohedoro setting never was isekai in the first place, it's post-apocalyptic magitech-punk, most;y because Hayashida was Nihei assistant before she gets serialized and that affected her. And this manga ran for 18 whole years, before isekai even become mainstream, damn.

It does have an isekai element to it, if we are purely speaking the concept of ending up in another world. You can even say other series before the isekai trend are isekai, Twelve Kingdoms for example.

I'm not sure that you actually paid attention while reading/watching Harry Potter, because there's no "in another world" in Harry Potter, wizards and muggles live in the same place, all the locations are in the same world/reality, just with a spell to make muggles not be able to see or reach...
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
It's finally happening! Golden Kamuy, Vinland Saga, and now Dorohedoro. It's a good trend. The more people who know this unique series the better.

Yeah, I am loving this seinen wave!
WANNFH wrote:
Mhora wrote:

Not sure if trolling or just stupid, because Dorohedoro setting never was isekai in the first place, it's post-apocalyptic magitech-punk, most;y because Hayashida was Nihei assistant before she gets serialized and that affected her.

I didn't know Hayashida was Nihei's assistant, that makes a lot of sense!
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:

Well, yeah. "Isekai" is just the Japanese term for a common fantasy trope. Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, John Carter of Mars, and Narnia are all isekai. And there absolutely were isekai in Japan prior to the current boom, with The Twelve Kingdoms and Zero no Tsukaima being the most obvious examples.

Harry Potter is not an isekai (as others have pointed out), but it's an old trope going back to Peter Pan, Wonderland and Oz, and it used to be more of a shojo thing in manga and (light) novels---besides 12 Kingdoms, there's Red River and From Far Away, just off the top of my head. It has nothing to do with video games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3