• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon: Detective Pikachu Live-Action Film's 1st Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I am so hyped for this! Already planning on going to the first showing (which would be on the 9th, my birthday), and going a second time for my party on the 11th!

Reynolds sounds way better than the voice from the game, and I heard that they're deviating from the game's story for the movie (which, honestly, is needed. The game meanders a bit, and doesn't solve the overlying question).

I'm curious, though, if the movie's resolution will involve what I suspect is the case in the game, namely, that spoiler[Tim's dad is in his Pikachu's body, without his memories. It would explain why Pikachu is so similar to Tim's dad, and different from how he was before the accident].

I also can't wait for the inevitable second game.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
SnowWarren wrote:
I think my problem is just that the texture on all of them makes them look like plush toys rather then living breathing creatures. Especially Charizard.

I think that's the main problem I have. Jigglypuff to me especially. But other than that, I like what I saw and it looks interesting. I'm just glad it has pokemon beyond Kanto.

Jigglypuff seemed weird to me too, but then the more I thought about it, I realized that if it had a puff of hair up top, shouldn't it follow that the rest of it has hair/fur? Not saying that it's not a bizarre design, but it kiiiinda sorta makes sense?

Dessa wrote:
I am so hyped for this! Already planning on going to the first showing (which would be on the 9th, my birthday), and going a second time for my party on the 11th!

Reynolds sounds way better than the voice from the game, and I heard that they're deviating from the game's story for the movie (which, honestly, is needed. The game meanders a bit, and doesn't solve the overlying question).

I'm curious, though, if the movie's resolution will involve what I suspect is the case in the game, namely, that spoiler[Tim's dad is in his Pikachu's body, without his memories. It would explain why Pikachu is so similar to Tim's dad, and different from how he was before the accident].

I also can't wait for the inevitable second game.

I liked the game but I found it waaayy too hand-holdy. If there's a sequel, I hope they manage to add an element of mystery to the DETECTIVE game.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:

Jigglypuff seemed weird to me too, but then the more I thought about it, I realized that if it had a puff of hair up top, shouldn't it follow that the rest of it has hair/fur? Not saying that it's not a bizarre design, but it kiiiinda sorta makes sense?.

It's original name is Purin, which means pudding. I always assumed it had a pudding like texture, similar to Kirby.

Movie looks.. eh... not really my thing. Going to pass on it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
It does look like a 2 hour shit-post and the titular character is literally PG-Deadpool but what a trailer.
A DeVito cut would have been better but Pokemon might have gotten it´s first actually good non-game adaptation. Impressive. This will also mostly displace the DCEU (i liked it) for WB if things work out.
Mark my words.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Omu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
I'm quite surprised. When I heard about this movie for the first time I only thought "How could anyone think that this is a good idea?" but after watching the trailer I'm more like "This could actually work".
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:28 am Reply with quote
I was skeptical at first, but thanks to Ryan Reynolds, I think this movie might actually succeed. Though the models do still need work. But likely far better than what could've happened if we got fully realistic Pokemon. Those likely would've gave kids nightmares.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:51 am Reply with quote
Unlike most people in this thread, I didn't mind the CGI. (Though would Pikachu be more rubbery since it's electric?)
The biggest factor I'll have to get used to is Ryan Reynolds. Don't get me wrong, I love him and I absolutely adore Deadpool - but that's all I hear. Deadpool Pikachu. I'm sure that's a winner for people, but I'm not sure if they quite mix.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Break Xerxes wrote:
I actually want to see this. The CGI is a little in the uncanny valley, but Ryan Reynolds as Detective Pikachu has my interest.

Thinking about it now, this is probably what the Pokémon franchise would look like if Square Enix took over.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Movies based on videogames suck. Now we get this? Seems Hollywood doesn't learn the lesson.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Movies based on videogames suck. Now we get this? Seems Hollywood doesn't learn the lesson.

You're not wrong that the current track record of videogame movies isn't good, but the reasoning behind the movie is perfectly sound. Even if Pokemon isn't the cultural juggernaut it was in the late 90s/early 00s, it's still massively popular. There is money to be made*. And right now taking cartoons and making live-action versions is a hot trend (and you can't even say it's just an American one based on the recent FMA and Bleach movies), so it only makes sense that sooner or later a live-action Pokemon would happen. Detective Pikachu is just oh so conveniently a game/concept that allows Pokemon's mascot character to talk.

*especially from the 20-30 year olds who are now old enough to have disposable incomes and be very susceptible to nostalgia. Maybe it'll ultimately backfire, but Hollywood knows exactly what it's doing.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:57 am Reply with quote
Outside of this forum, the majority of the reaction is overwhelmingly positive.

I'm excited about it, it has the potential to be the second good video game adaptation, the first of course being the first Mortal Kombat. Second one sucked though.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how Japan is reacting.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Outside of this forum, the majority of the reaction is overwhelmingly positive.

I'm excited about it, it has the potential to be the second good video game adaptation, the first of course being the first Mortal Kombat. Second one sucked though.

I have more mixed feelings about it than anything, For one thing, I think the script is fantastic, and the cast is great too. Ken Watanabe was perfect, and Ryan Reynolds as the voice of Pikachu was pure genius. That being said, where the problem lies is the ultra-realistic Pokémon designs. I was a bit turned off by those, and I’m nervous about this movie being a flop due to that alone.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

I have more mixed feelings about it than anything, For one thing, I think the script is fantastic, and the cast is great too. Ken Watanabe was perfect, and Ryan Reynolds as the voice of Pikachu was pure genius. That being said, where the problem lies is the ultra-realistic Pokémon designs. I was a bit turned off by those, and I’m nervous about this movie being a flop due to that alone.

I don't know if this is going to be a flop, but boy there's going to be in some nasty competition since Detective Pikachu premieres a week after Avengers 4.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like they're using Ikue Otani's vocal effects for Pikachu in this movie, though I've never heard the one used in this trailer before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5