• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony to Skip Next Year's E3 Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:57 am Reply with quote
First Nintendo now Sony
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Sony's censorship policies may have damaged their reputation for skipping the E3 event, but since they are now own fault for try to censor things that are offensive for younger gamers, there could a lots of protests right now anytime soon or anyday. Twisted Evil
Eh the only people who feel that way, are those who play niche raunchy Japanese games, not exactly a large group of people, I doubt that has anything to do with this.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:31 am Reply with quote
Sony's desire to only promote western styled exclusive third person over the shoulder cinematic games at the expense of curb kicking third party Japanese developers does at least relate to them having absolutely nothing to promote for the next 12 months. People thought when they canceled PSX that might mean PS5 at E3 but lolnope we out.

Considering how many developers have moved to at least supporting PC if not multi-platform altogether rather than Playstation exclusive this generation, Sony is definitely running the risk of pulling an Xbone and having only a handful of played out first party franchises to sell a console in a market that's getting fed up with their nonsense unless they're doing something very different than what a console is right now.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
unless they're doing something very different than what a console is right now.

what if they released a mature version of ps5. Twisted Evil
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
Sony moved their Playstation Headquarters to California, USA about 2 years ago because of a shrinking of demand in Japan for console gaming, whereas in the US and other western markets, it has expanded.

It also means that games now need to go through US regulations/sensibilities for games, as though they were to be released directly to the US market, even if the games being developed are planned for a Japan and/or other eastern only markets.

This is also why some games have been censored beyond those on the Switch. Yeah, you read that right. Check out this video about it: https://youtu.be/Dktk52dOpvA

Also, they might be skipping E3 2019 because they want to build hype for the PS5. It still might be too early for the announcement.

With everything that keeps happening to consoles, I might need to switch to PC. I don't want to, but might have to if I want less censorship in my games.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
IceKirby wrote:
E3's importance has been going down for a few years already. For the companies, it brings too many unnecessary expenses in order to fight over attention from journalists when you can just put a video on YouTube and get the same reception.

Agreed. It's a lot of money to spend to be one of many companies in attendance. Many will make their announcements during the week prior in an effort to avoid being drowned out by everyone else. With constant news cycles across lots of outlets, I've questioned the relevance of E3 for a long time.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Likewise. E3 is something of a relic these days, especially since official YouTube channels already have streaming setups in place already (Sony used theirs regularly for E3 promotions and conferences), and I can’t imagine that it’s cheap to fly people out there, arrange a audience space, etc. By and large E3 seems to be used mostly for things that require a physical presence, say a demo or an exclusive interview. Most people watching E3 will be doing so via streaming anyways, so why not just cut out the middleman at this point?
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about this so-called issue with censorship aside what people in this thread have described, but that being said I doubt that has any bearing on this decision. The number of people who buy those games is pretty infinitesimal compared to the majority of other target audiences, heck I haven't heard of a single title an earlier post mentioned aside from Warriors Orochi.

But I kind of hope they start to stray away from E3 in general, anyways. I feel the amount of exciting news that gets released at that event has been going down for years. Not to mention I think the Nintendo Directs are a good example to follow as it is, so if they go that route I'd be pretty happy with that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the entire Sony of america visual novel/animu tiddy game issue really urks me. Sony doesn't want those type of games of there platform anymore, fine but the fact so many companies are contracted to Sony to make them on their system first then have to release a pc/switch versions hurts small companies like nis/atlus/marvelous. Eventually these companies move away from Sony's platform all together and I don't blame them one bit.

Putting that aside can any one answer me this, what games does Sony have left to show off? Are they are more exclusive games in the works at e3? Maybe this is why they are skipping E3 because Microsoft will show off all 3rd party games instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
bakauchuujin wrote:
I figured that E3 would be the place where they announced that anything remotely resembling anime artstyle with a rating more than 12+ would be banned from all Sony platforms. Guess they will announce that somewhere else then.

I didn't know there were new DanganRonpa and Akiba's Trip games they were stopping from being released here Razz

Chrono1000 wrote:
Considering the recent censorship incidents on the PS4 it sort of makes sense that Sony is skipping E3 next year. I don't know if it is a good sign in that they know that they messed up or a bad sign in that they are planning even more censorship changes to their licensing policy.

I know for a fact it's neither of those two things.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Putting that aside can any one answer me this, what games does Sony have left to show off? Are they are more exclusive games in the works at e3? Maybe this is why they are skipping E3 because Microsoft will show off all 3rd party games instead.

The only thing I can think of would be Nioh 2 and it's not yet known if that'll be a exclusive out the gate like last time are also get a PC release

Twilightmaster wrote:

But I kind of hope they start to stray away from E3 in general, anyways. I feel the amount of exciting news that gets released at that event has been going down for years. Not to mention I think the Nintendo Directs are a good example to follow as it is, so if they go that route I'd be pretty happy with that.

Eh the Directs are not without their flaws between them being hyped up and being occasionally underwhelming to the fact that they come off superfluous (there's only so many times I want to keep seeing news about Smash Bros.)
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Sony's gonna have a rough year in 2019 with Micrsoft's new First Party Studios making progress for E3 2019 and beyond. Not to mention the Xbox One X still maintaining the most powerful console in 2019, too. Who knows what will happen in 2020..
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
Sony's gonna have a rough year in 2019 with Micrsoft's new First Party Studios making progress for E3 2019 and beyond. Not to mention the Xbox One X still maintaining the most powerful console in 2019, too. Who knows what will happen in 2020..

That's interesting though given MS has never really prided themselves on their first party titles compared to Sony and Nintendo. That and as I far as I know the X hasn't really been crashing the markets like PS4 or the Switch has.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:28 am Reply with quote
How can a console manufacturer 'Show Off' 3rd party games. Hey get an Xbox, with have these games, oh and so does PC. There is nothing envious about having a 3rd party game, an exclusive on the other hand, helps drive sales of the main thing you are selling, your games console. AND, it's not like what they have been releasing is all that great, remember Sea of thieves? It seems their main tactic is just to buy studios just to rob other companies of exclusives. Like Nintendo with rare.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
How can a console manufacturer 'Show Off' 3rd party games. Hey get an Xbox, with have these games, oh and so does PC. There is nothing envious about having a 3rd party game, an exclusive on the other hand, helps drive sales of the main thing you are selling, your games console. AND, it's not like what they have been releasing is all that great, remember Sea of thieves? It seems their main tactic is just to buy studios just to rob other companies of exclusives. Like Nintendo with rare.

There are plenty of examples of 3rd party exclusives on consoles, some that never end up anywhere else. Just look at the Persona franchise, it's a Sony exclusive never to show up anywhere else (aside from Q, but that hardly counts). As for PC ports, they aren't really part of the discussion since PC gaming is still considered fairly niche in a console gaming environment. But in the case of XBox exclusives that are on PC the vast majority of them are played on Windows, a Microsoft platform, and in several cases you only have to buy the game once to play it on both (with the same Xbox Live account and cloud saves no less).

A good 3rd Party exclusive is every bit as valuable to a console as a 1st party one.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

A good 3rd Party exclusive is every bit as valuable to a console as a 1st party one.
Emerje

Pretty well spot on. They are arguably more important than first party exclusives. Look at all the crap Nintendo cops for their lack of third party support.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It seems their main tactic is just to buy studios just to rob other companies of exclusives. Like Nintendo with rare.

I don't know if you know this but Rare offered themselves up to Microsoft for financial reasons so the idea they robbed Nintendo is absurd especially given the fact that most of the stuff Rare produced while working for Nintendo wasn't exactly unique.

Banjo-Kazooie (somewhat better looking version of SM64)

Diddy Kong Racing (more gimmicky version of Mario Kart 64)

Goldeneye (not too unique and license issues insure that the game will never be rereleased).

Perfect Dark (reskinned Goldeneye)

Conker's Bad Fur Day (basically an r-rated Banjo).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3