• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony to Skip Next Year's E3 Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
Sony's gonna have a rough year in 2019 with Micrsoft's new First Party Studios making progress for E3 2019 and beyond. Not to mention the Xbox One X still maintaining the most powerful console in 2019, too. Who knows what will happen in 2020..

Microsoft's new acquisitions are not going to bear any fruit so soon.

These studios are working on projects for next gen - and next-gen for Microsoft is focused on the idea of making a 'Netflix for Games' where it looks like subscription-based streaming will be a major focus. Any projects these studios are working on will be in the context of those upcoming plans.

Word is Microsoft is putting out a disc-less Xbone in 2019.

Nintendo apparently has a Switch redesign also in the works.

Sony likely doesn't have to do anything. At most I expect they'll price-cut the PS4 to clear inventory in the run up to the next-gen launches in 2020.

Sony and Microsoft are undoubtedly both working on their streaming initiatives, and I wouldn't put it past them to put the streaming option on the already available Xbone and PS4.

So rather than people upgrading their boxes to PS5 or Xbtwo, they'll have the option of streaming PS5 games on PS4 and Xbtwo games on Xbone.

This will actually make 3rd parties very happy. And their next-gen games will already be available to a wider audience than just the early adopters.

Streaming will not provide all the comforts and quality of having the game on disc or downloaded to your drive, but many people will take the plung if the price is right and Microsoft seems to have a hit with Gamepass. And Sony is apparently doing well with PSNow.

Your standard PS5 and Xbtwo will release eventually, but I can see Sony and MS 'breaking' tradition in that they can bring next-gen games a year early by allowing people to stream demos/teases of next-gen PS5/Xbtwo games a year earlier in 2019 via streaming. In which case we might see lots of adoption. Similar to Early-Access on Steam. But at a more appealing price as the streaming applies to all games on the service and not just one.

Those people eager for a next-gen fix in 2019, can pay to get it that way.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Sony and Microsoft are undoubtedly both working on their streaming initiatives, and I wouldn't put it past them to put the streaming option on the already available Xbone and PS4.

So rather than people upgrading their boxes to PS5 or Xbtwo, they'll have the option of streaming PS5 games on PS4 and Xbtwo games on Xbone.

Why would they do that? It would just screw themselves out of their own next gen hardware sales.

The more likely scenario is the option to buy a cheaper, streaming-only version of the next gen hardware, which xbox is already rumoured to be planning
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
Why would they do that? It would just screw themselves out of their own next gen hardware sales.

Because the long term gains outweigh any slow pick-up of hardware.

Sony and Microsoft don't make much money on hardware. It's on sales of third party titles.

And streaming is better for their end for the same reason digital is better for the bottom line than physical.

Eventually both companies want to move to the cloud, and rope people in to subscription services.

This is also beneficial for the third parties who can have the blow softened from the generation reset.

The pool of people interested in the new game are not faced with a $400-$500 hurdle, and third parties don't need the added costs of a cross-gen development for two titles.

Third parties looking at GAAS services are also thinking more long term with how long games take to make.

Increasingly given the strain on developers and demand to get things done faster, the streaming alternative helps bring in once again the episodic model, where developers can start off with more bare bones content and continue to improve on it from their end without having people download large patches etc. It's just updated on their end and immediate on the user's side.

All that is ideally where they want to go.

But of course they know it won't happen yet.

As for Sony's case, the same philosophy behind the PS4 Pro is also at work. They want to keep the enthusiasts from moving to PC to get their fix, so, like the Pro, it's an incentive to remain with PlayStation.

Both Sony and 3rd Party don't have to necessarily wait for install base to grow as much as there will be a sizable amount of people who can save money now and still get their fix from full priced a-la-carte model, or get income from subscriptions, all while the early adopters are buying the hardware off the shelves anyway, which could be supply-constricted for awhile.

There are still a selling feature for having the PS5 hardware - next-gen VR - physical ownership - possible new features tied to OS and hardware (new controllers/camera etc.) that are only doable on the PS5 (And I'm hoping full legacy disc based backwards compatability personally...)

So there are a lot of incentives to making the next-gen titles available to current-gen owners via streaming. Eventually even Microsoft wants to get rid of the box and have an entry as low as possible to tie people into services rather than 'generations.'

Plus there are potential competitors swirling around that could bit like Amazon and Apple, though we've yet to see any of that bear any fruit, it is an open secret that other big tech is looking to swoop in.

Just as Netflix and streaming has done to physical or even digital ownership, the potential to do so for games is also very lucrative, and undoubtedly if devs could have their way, they'd even like to keep their code locked up tightly on their side without having to allow downloads and increasing amounts of DRM.

There are worries for the consumer on this end, and I prefer to have my games physical just as we always have, but that is where things are headed.

It's only my speculation that Sony and Microsoft will implement this with this current gen, but given that Sony already has PSNow and that there's no reason the Xbone can't do something similar, just seems logical that Sony and Microsoft will allow streaming of PS5/Xbtwo games on the current hardware for those who want it.

However, undoubtedly the best way to experience these games without the drawbacks of current streaming will be by purchasing the new hardware and either buying the physical disc, or downloading it. Though given the size of games like Red Dead Redemption 2 on 2 blu-rays and increasingly some games requiring larger day 1 patches, and what seems a no-brainer of moving to larger UHD discs, eventually streaming will catch on more and more, if only for people simply wanting to try or demo certain products before buying.

So in a way I even see them getting rid of the typical demos we are used to and moving that simply to allowing free 30min-1-hour demos of the full release via a stream. Time would be subject to the sort of game and how long the developer decides is adequate enough to get a taste of the title, though some might jsut create special vertical slice demos to represent the product.

Quote:
The more likely scenario is the option to buy a cheaper, streaming-only version of the next gen hardware, which xbox is already rumoured to be planning

I can see this being the case if some special hardware is required - like a new controller for instance that is different from the previous gen.

But in Microsoft's case I feel they're more open to breaking the generations idea and just want people to more easily adopt and use their ecosystem, or remain with Xbox rather than jump to PlayStation, and thus given wireless tech I can see Microsoft simply offer the new controller as being compatible with Xbone and letting it play streamed Xbtwo games.

If the person likes what he's playing, but still finds the stream quality poor, they're still incentivized to upgrade to Xbtwo hardware whenever they like. So both options will be on offer, especially if Microsoft is so open as to allow a policy of sharing rights with one purchase so buying physical also gives you access to a digital PC version on Windows as they do now, while upping that ante with streaming rights to that title via your LIVE account. The majority of people will undoubtedly stick with the local copy on their drive/HDD. But the guy buying the streaming rights on Xbone, may then want to by Xbtwo and use the incentive to access a digital download to get the best quality.

There are lots of ways to get people to switch while maintaining them without the Xbox system. Microsoft wants to sell the service as a whole rather than particular hardware, which is what they originally wanted form the original forced plans for Xbone that were scrapped for being too draconian. Now Microsoft can achieve the same result by being more option and allowing for options.

The best way for many years to come will still be the enthusiasts buying the new expensive hardware. But for the more casual crowd, finding a way for them to continue spending money on new games without the hurdle of new hardware makes a lot of sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3