• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Request for use of the contents of the site

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emmedue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:19 am Reply with quote
Hi, staff of Anime News Network, I wanted to know if I can use the contents of your site (for example the anime cards) for a book on Japanese animation that I should write. I look forward to your reply, if possible, thanks.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
Hi Emmedue,

Unfortunately things are a lot more complicated than this. You need to ask permission for every single piece of content you want to use, and you need to describe exactly how you are using it.

For example, "I would like to use this piece of artwork, in an article to illustrate this fact," or, "I would like to use an excerpt from this article in a chapter about [xxx]. This is the exact portion of the article I want to use: ... "

You'll also need to describe your book in detail.

Keep in mind that you may be able to use some of our content without asking permission under fair use guidelines.

Also keep in mind that we can't give you permission to use anything that isn't ours. For example any artwork that we use from other creators, you would need to get permission from them, not from us,

Finally, please keep in mind that, with extensive requests, it is common for us right holders to ask for a fee. For small print run / academic books it runs $100 ~ $500 per request.This fee may be waived or decreased under special circumstances, but if our staff has to put in several days of work to check all your requests, you can be certain that at the very minimum, you'll be covering that person's salary for those days.

Regards,

Christopher Macdonald
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1