• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla vs. Kong Live-Action Film Reveals Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyrantValvatorez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Kong is like over a dozen steps down from Ghidorah. So there needs to be at least a third monster. Maybe even the Mutos reappearing in a higher number to raise hell for both of them.
The "human conspiracy" make me think that one of the factions is building a weapon to deal with the Kaiju. Mecha Kong? Mecha Godzilla? The Oxygen Destroyer? Their going to have introduce a third party to make it more interesting than an over sized monkey getting stomped by Godzilla.
The Dues Ex Machina that happened at the end of King Kong vs Godzilla(in 1962) doesn't count as a legitimate victory.
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
All I hope for is that there will be more on the monster fighting and not the whole time just watching humans doing stupid shit like always
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TyrantValvatorez"]Kong is like over a dozen steps down from Ghidorah. So there needs to be at least a third monster. Maybe even the Mutos reappearing in a higher number to raise hell for both of them.
The "human conspiracy" make me think that one of the factions is building a weapon to deal with the Kaiju. Mecha Kong? Mecha Godzilla? The Oxygen Destroyer? Their going to have introduce a third party to make it more interesting than an over sized monkey getting stomped by Godzilla.
The Dues Ex Machina that happened at the end of King Kong vs Godzilla(in 1962) doesn't count as a legitimate victory.[/quote

I'm sure that's likely to happen, since it's become a trope that Vs movies tend to end up a draw. Freddie vs Jason, Alien vs Predator, Batman vs Superman. Especially when they are classic monsters who play off different strengths. Godzilla is a Force of Nature and you can't have him being defeated because he's nature itself, Kong is a tragic monster who is best signified as nature being left alone.

Which leaves the humans and their story. Given the new lore of Godzilla and Kong, it's likely not nuclear-related. So aliens? Only time will tell. But for sure, Kong and Godzilla isn't going to be killed off, especially by one another.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the last American Godzilla movie a lot in spite of some issues with the pacing, so I'm looking forward to seeing this. But I never saw Kong: Skull Island, so will I have to had watched it before watching Godzilla vs Kong?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
TyrantValvatorez wrote:
Kong is like over a dozen steps down from Ghidorah. So there needs to be at least a third monster. Maybe even the Mutos reappearing in a higher number to raise hell for both of them.

We've reportedly got at least Mothra (no Fairies, this being a depressing, pretentious, rain-soaked Legendary production Mad ) introduced in the solo Godzilla 2, but not sure which one comes out first.
That's the problem with Warner getting too excited with themselves, and rushing the gun like they did with DC Comics and "Justice League".

Quote:
The "human conspiracy" make me think that one of the factions is building a weapon to deal with the Kaiju. Mecha Kong? Mecha Godzilla? The Oxygen Destroyer?

Or a rewrite of whatever part "Pacific Rim"'s Jaegers were originally going to play in the battle, before PR:Uprising flopped in theaters, and thus was quietly dropped from Warner's "MonsterVerse"?
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
^
You definitely must see Skull Island to see this Kong's origin.

Gojira practically wrecks Kong in a normal slugfest, but again, that's too predictable and Hollywood should definitely add more mysteries as to why this match should be worth watching.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I'm sure that's likely to happen, since it's become a trope that Vs movies tend to end up a draw. Freddie vs Jason, Alien vs Predator, Batman vs Superman. Especially when they are classic monsters who play off different strengths. Godzilla is a Force of Nature and you can't have him being defeated because he's nature itself, Kong is a tragic monster who is best signified as nature being left alone.

It also happens when franchise-obsessed studios insist on circling their own house-franchise wagons. (Ie., New Line owned both Freddy & Jason, Fox owned Alien & Predator, Warner owns 10's Kong and US Godzilla, etc.)

Like Warner was obsessed with a Justice League movie from the minute they started considering Batman vs. Superman, Warner/Legendary literally started drafting Kong v. Godzilla battle plans the minute they heard that the '14 US Godzilla do-over was a go...A Godzilla movie did not exist in their minds for any other reason.
Warner's particularly the main villain right now in the studio mindset that you can't just make one movie anymore, you have to studio-strategize a "universe" of three or four all filming at the same time to last you the next five years.

(Even if, like BvS and Justice League, it rushes the schedule and ends up crappy, incoherent, and a complete pointless thrown-together waste of the source material...
Sort of like Kong:Skull Island, where Kong doesn't go to NY, doesn't fall off buildings, and Beauty has only one scene with the Beast, since she's too out of franchise-ready size scale to tragically 'twas-kill him.)
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that this article is showing Peter Jackson's Kong instead of Skull Island's Kong next to 2014's Godzilla.
TyrantValvatorez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:36 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Like Warner was obsessed with a Justice League movie from the minute they started considering Batman vs. Superman, Warner/Legendary literally started drafting Kong v. Godzilla battle plans the minute they heard that the '14 US Godzilla do-over was a go...A Godzilla movie did not exist in their minds for any other reason.
Warner's particularly the main villain right now in the studio mindset that you can't just make one movie anymore, you have to studio-strategize a "universe" of three or four all filming at the same time to last you the next five years.

(Even if, like BvS and Justice League, it rushes the schedule and ends up crappy, incoherent, and a complete pointless thrown-together waste of the source material...
Sort of like Kong:Skull Island, where Kong doesn't go to NY, doesn't fall off buildings, and Beauty has only one scene with the Beast, since she's too out of franchise-ready size scale to tragically 'twas-kill him.)

The MonsterVerse seems to be mostly run by Legendary directly. Unlike the executive hacks at Warner. They seem to care about making a decent story instead of pretentious crap and making everything super edgy. Zack Snyder being an awful writer and director is the other reason the DCEU has turned into the mess that it is. Even a man of Joss Wheadon's talents can't save it. It getting so bad that they need to create another adaption of Flashpoint to fix it.
Another problem is that their trying to emulate the Nolan Batman films and doing it very poorly.

If the MonsterVerse movies were remakes of the originals they'd be quite boring. Two films isn't enough to judge if the franchise going to be successful. As of right now it seems to be doing better than the DCEU. They have no flops yet and there is enough hype for a third home run. Unlike the edgy super hero smash fest written by Snyder. Legendary didn't jump straight into a Dawn of Justice of style movie in a misguided attempt to compete with the MCU.
Since they seem to be aware of the flaws of the edgy teen smash fest. Legendary is hiring actual fans and big names within the fandom to sustain the franchise. They also have Toho breathing down their necks and could pull the plug on the Godzilla side of things if they believe their not getting their money's worth.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
TyrantValvatorez wrote:
If the MonsterVerse movies were remakes of the originals they'd be quite boring. Two films isn't enough to judge if the franchise going to be successful. As of right now it seems to be doing better than the DCEU. They have no flops yet and there is enough hype for a third home run. Unlike the edgy super hero smash fest written by Snyder. Legendary didn't jump straight into a Dawn of Justice of style movie in a misguided attempt to compete with the MCU.

Well, that was sort of my point, they DID rush in: Universal had their "Dark Universe" ready to go, straight off of Tom Cruise's Mummy (we dodged the bullet of a "Bride of Frankenstein" remake next that owed more to Jennifer Beals and Sting than Elsa Lanchester), and both wanted to see who'd get custody of the "Monster universe" brand name first.

And no flops "Yet" is sort of the key word here:
We've had a Godzilla movie that everyone optimistically hoped would wipe away the 90's one (and was at least serious enough to try), and a name-only Kong movie that thought it could jump for that sweet March spring-break slot, but...insert "Twas Disney's Beauty that killed the beast" joke here. Razz
Kong had its expected Big Event Opening Weekend before being crushed by the "real" fan-favorite and falling invisibly off the radar almost immediately, so we can't really say with any scientific degree of accuracy whether Kong:Skull Island was a hit or not...Like baseball scandals, there's an asterisk on the statistics. That brings it up to 1-1/2 hits out of three, which, umm.

We won't know "yet" until Godzilla 2, and there are so many things that can go wrong, with the movie opening out of the others' contexts, and with Universal's Folly now having publicly stunk up the playing field for "Instant Universes".
Again, Legendary thought "Pacific Rim: Uprising" would be the strategic third leg of their monster triangle, and that Jaegers would fight Kong and Godzilla, but Anything Can Happen on Monday morning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1