• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Cast, Staff, Streaming for New 2019 Fruits Basket TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Again, people saying Laura won't return forget she did come back for a cameo as Maka in Soul Eater Not! as well as Oichi from Sengoku Basara.

If she loves the role and her schedule isn't booked, she'll do it. Scheduling has been the biggest impediment according to the Funi directors who've been asked about Travis, Laura, Troy, and other Funi VAs that moved to LA. Troy Baker recently learned about new lines for his Tales Vespira character that his agent apparently didn't tell him about, a role he was enthusiastic about reprising.

It's all going to depend on when this airs, how long it'll air for, and what Laura's schedule looks like at the time, assuming this gets simuldubbed.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Trunks was hell on her vocal cords, that's one of the biggest reasons she didn't return.

And coupled with scheduling and higher priority (and higher paying) union work, Laura just can't commit to a simuldub schedule. Face it, guys. She's left the non-union dubbing scene.

Morry wrote:
Again, people saying Laura won't return forget she did come back for a cameo as Maka in Soul Eater Not! as well as Oichi from Sengoku Basara.

Troy Baker recently learned about new lines for his Tales Vespira character that his agent apparently didn't tell him about, a role he was enthusiastic about reprising.

That was three years ago, back in 2015. Name one Funimation role that Laura reprised for in 2016-2018. None? Okay, your point is moot. Time to move on. Her husband, Travis, isn't reprising for any of his Funi roles, either. 2015 was the final year he did it too.

I don't think you understand how many hoops a union VA needs to jump through just to voice in a non-union production, which is what the upcoming FB dub is going to be.

Also, your point about Troy is also moot - if Troy were to reprise as Yuri, he wouldn't have to do a lot; I'd say a week is enough to knock out all the extra lines in the extended edition. That's why everyone's pissed that they have to deal with two different sounding voices in the same game.

We're talking about a lead role here. Laura isn't coming back. Period. Hope for Alexis Tipton; that's your best bet on a soundalike.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Inverti Herikawa wrote:
Morry wrote:

That was three years ago, back in 2015. Name one Funimation role that Laura reprised for in 2016-2018. None? Okay, your point is moot. Time to move on.

Since you said 2016, Sengoku Basara's crappy last season and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 were released during the Fall of that year so no, Soul Eater Not was not her last with them, it was those two.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
At the end of the day, I'm OK with a new cast. It's going to sting a bit, especially on the dub side of things since the Furuba dub is one of the only ones of which I have fond memories, but I think it'll be manageable as long as the studio brings its A-game in terms of animation and directing.

What's really going to be a hurdle for me is the soundtrack. The music for the original, from the OP and ED to that gorgeous score which underlined every big moment, was just perfectly suited for the material. Even Takaya wanted to hear "For Fruits Basket" over the final chapter of the manga because it was that memorable. Even seeing the new key visual, my mind goes right to, "Memory - At Home" and I just need that level of warmth and sentiment from whatever they do with the music for this new series.

Praying this doesn't become another Sailor Moon Crystal.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
If this was Cowboy Bebop, yes, I'd agree with the people who are saying they'll miss the English dub voice actors. I didn't really care for the English dub for Fruits Basket but I still liked the anime overall. The fact that we didn't get to see Tohru and Kyo date and grow together as adults in anime form is disappointing. I'm hoping they don't cut this shorter than it needs to be and stays close to whatever the manga lead to. It's probably asking for too much for all of the manga to be animated. Fruits Basket is one of the few stories I'm interested in that fall in the slice of life/romance/fantasy genre that doesn't make me cringe regardless of the target demographic.
connysanada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I've been listening to some Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood music as well as rewatching some of Furuba 2001 episodes upon looking this up. Music to my ears, metaphorically and literally.
MKVarana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I saw this headline and got really excited, since Fruits Basket is one of my all-time favorite series, but then I saw the cast list...

I don't think I can get myself to enjoy it without Yui... Sad
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
How can they license it before it even airs?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
How can they license it before it even airs?

Wouldn't shock me one bit if FUNi is actually on the production committee. Furuba is/was just that huge of a show for them.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Inverti Herikawa wrote:

Takaya obviously doesn't agree that Yuki should sound like a girl, which is why Hisakawa got axed along with the rest. This new voice cast is pretty much approved by Takaya herself before they're allowed on board.

I've heard differing accounts of whether part of Takaya's problem with the director was that he didn't use the VA's she wanted but I've also heard that the core cast were picked (or approved) by her.
Quote:
I also don't believe Eric Vale would pitch up his voice just to sound more "feminine"; he's way more likely to do the exact same voice he did back in the day. Funimation rejected Daichi's vision of Yuki; and since it's likely that Eric is reprising, they won't have him voice match Nobunaga Shimazaki, either. After all, Eric's Yuki portrayal did come first; why would he reference off of Shimazaki when he could keep it consistent with his old performance?

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that was their intention. I mean, Yuki should be Yuki no matter the language or VA.

I'm also not expecting whoever voices Yuki in the dub to voice-match Shimazaki.
Quote:
Nah. As much as I like Laura, she ain't gonna come back, especially not for a simuldub. She dropped her role as Trunks as well, which is one of Funimation's biggest properties. Fruits Basket isn't nearly as popular as Dragonball, so I don't see it happening. I'll be happy enough if Alexis Tipton steps in to take Laura's place.

I know Alexis is pretty much the de-facto Laura Bailey replacement, but I hope whoever they cast for Tohru they cast because they're right for the role and not because they sound like Laura.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

Anyways, I personally really liked the first anime of Fruits Baskets. I especially love the way it handled "Kyo the cat monster" arc at the end - pretty much brought me to tears. I'm still looking forward to the adaptation. While I don't love everything about the manga, there is still a lot I want to see animated and I'm looking forward to a full adaptation.

The Kyo arc at the end was my favorite of the series as well. Fruits Baskets was a favorite for me at the time. I think even given the test of time it still stands up reasonably well. That being said a new updated version is a welcomed thing. I personally don't see it as a replacement like many reboots or remakes are of the original version. I see this as more of a newer companion series that takes a good product and makes it better (hopefully). Much like what FMA Brotherhood did for FMA. At least that's what I hope is what happens with the finished product.It will be nice seeing the full series adapted.

Now if miracles could happen and Clamp could FINALLY finish X. Then we can get a new updated tv series of that just like we're getting here. Ahhhhhh pipe dreams.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
A Fruits Basket remake in April? I'm looking forward to it! Smile Very Happy Anime hyper Mr. Green
Serenade (Piano)
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Since you said 2016, Sengoku Basara's crappy last season and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 were released during the Fall of that year so no, Soul Eater Not was not her last with them, it was those two.

They were recorded in 2015. A lot could change in 1 year, let alone 3 years. Laura is moving higher and higher in the union pool; I'd say she's about as high up as Troy Baker is by now. Don't get your hopes about Laura reprising.

MFrontier wrote:
Inverti Herikawa wrote:

Takaya obviously doesn't agree that Yuki should sound like a girl, which is why Hisakawa got axed along with the rest. This new voice cast is pretty much approved by Takaya herself before they're allowed on board.

I've heard differing accounts of whether part of Takaya's problem with the director was that he didn't use the VA's she wanted but I've also heard that the core cast were picked (or approved) by her.

It wouldn't make sense if Takaya thought the original voice cast was to her liking. If it were, even with a new voice cast, Takaya would find someone that sounds like Hisakawa. The fact that Shimazaki got cast means that Takaya wanted Yuki to sound like a guy to begin with.

MFrontier wrote:

Quote:
I also don't believe Eric Vale would pitch up his voice just to sound more "feminine"; he's way more likely to do the exact same voice he did back in the day. Funimation rejected Daichi's vision of Yuki; and since it's likely that Eric is reprising, they won't have him voice match Nobunaga Shimazaki, either. After all, Eric's Yuki portrayal did come first; why would he reference off of Shimazaki when he could keep it consistent with his old performance?

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that was their intention. I mean, Yuki should be Yuki no matter the language or VA.

Every time I see an English dub that has a bunch of voices that don't even sound alike to the originals, it's pretty safe to assume that the dubbing director has a different vision on what they want. For better or for worse, that's just how it is. For me, rejecting Hisakawa's portrayal by casting Eric Vale was one of the best choices made in the old dub. I wouldn't have been able to take Yuki seriously, otherwise.

MFrontier wrote:

Quote:
Nah. As much as I like Laura, she ain't gonna come back, especially not for a simuldub. She dropped her role as Trunks as well, which is one of Funimation's biggest properties. Fruits Basket isn't nearly as popular as Dragonball, so I don't see it happening. I'll be happy enough if Alexis Tipton steps in to take Laura's place.

I know Alexis is pretty much the de-facto Laura Bailey replacement, but I hope whoever they cast for Tohru they cast because they're right for the role and not because they sound like Laura.

Alexis could sound very sweet and caring; I think her Moka voice in the Rosario Vampire dub is a good example of that.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
At the end of the day, I'm OK with a new cast. It's going to sting a bit, especially on the dub side of things since the Furuba dub is one of the only ones of which I have fond memories, but I think it'll be manageable as long as the studio brings its A-game in terms of animation and directing.

Who said anything about a new Eng cast? Just because the original JP cast got axed, that doesn't mean the Eng cast will too.

Sobe wrote:
If this was Cowboy Bebop, yes, I'd agree with the people who are saying they'll miss the English dub voice actors. I didn't really care for the English dub for Fruits Basket but I still liked the anime overall.

It's probably asking for too much for all of the manga to be animated.

1) Just because you don't care for the dub, that doesn't mean the FB dub didn't have its own fans. In fact, it has MANY.

2) There has yet to be any confirmation regarding the Eng cast reprisals (or lack thereof).

3) The reboot is a full adaption of the manga, from start to finish. Asking for too much? Nah.
Violynne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Emerje"]
darkchibi07 wrote:
I really doubt they can afford Laura Bailey for just this.

I'm calling this now and today: she'll be back. Girl loved this role, and anyone who's seen the original can tell she loved this role.

I wouldn't be one bit shocked if she did it for free.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7